Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 10:00 PM

39 posts, read 176,217 times

Advertisements

Our thoughts and prayers are with them and their families. Hope they are all found live and well.

God Bless them!!!
Heavy Winds
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2007, 04:02 AM

1 posts, read 3,096 times
Default Seismic officials say mine collapse caused seismic event, not earthquake

I want you to know, that this disaster could bee a Horrific ‘Divine’ Weapons Test:

WhatDoesItMean.Com
Salt Lake Tribune - Seismic officials say mine collapse caused seismic event, not earthquake
Heftige Explosion löste Erdbeben aus (broken link)
Heftige Explosion löste Erdbeben aus (broken link)

My thoughts and prayers are with them, too

Old 08-08-2007, 04:15 AM

404 posts, read 710,855 times
Of course the owner of the mine is staunchly denying that the mine cause the earthquake.

I've been keeping up with the story.

It's awful for the families.

Old 08-08-2007, 08:24 AM

Earlier this morning,

"Seismic activity "wiped out" all progress rescuers had made in clearing rubble that has trapped the miners since Monday, said mining company executive Robert E. Murray, chairman of Murray Energy Corp., owner of the Crandall Canyon mine."

It is now estimated that it will take a week to reach the trapped miners.

Old 08-08-2007, 09:37 AM

242 posts, read 1,116,704 times
Utah is riddled with many fault lines. the composition of many of the areas is a combo of sandstone, and granite types of rock. What people forget in all of this is that if you are mining on a fault line section it can cause failure that is unexpected. In mining you don't always see the line as you are hammering away. Yes the mining could have triggered it. But the geology could have caused such a thing, and to the miners it would have seemed like an earthquake. It is a catch 22 scenerio when you hammer and blast in a seismicly active area. One can precipitate the other. Yet I can't say for certain what happened. We all will not know until an investigation is completed. Bottom line is, mining is a very hazardous occupation. My heart goes out to the families.

Old 08-08-2007, 10:58 AM

I understand what you are saying.

I happen to have an earthquake alert box on my home page. As soon as an earthquake is reported, I get a report in my little utility. It's a great little time waster. If anyone is interested, I can give them the location where they can get an alert box of there own.

The following link is a map of the seismic activity currently taking place in Utah over the past week. If you click on a little yellow, blue or red box, you will be taking to the information sheet concerning that event. The area of interest is west south west of Price Ut.

USGS Earthquake Hazards Program » Map Centered at 39°N, 111°W

This link will take you to the 1.7 magnitude seismic event that took place within 24 hours, and was reported to have caused severe problems concerning the relief effort to save the trapped miners. It is reported that the event took place at a depth of 4.8 miles. I do not know how deep the mine is. If you click on the "map" tab, you can view a mapp of the area. Either road map or satillte image.

USGS Earthquake Hazards Program » Magnitude 1.7 - UTAH (broken link)

This link will take you to the infromation page for the 3.9 magnitude seismic event either caused by the collapsing mine, or caused the mine to collapse. I prefer the 1st option. The depth is at 1 mile, or the approximate depth of where the miners were said to be trapped in the retreat mine.

USGS Earthquake Hazards Program » Magnitude 3.9 - UTAH (broken link)

This link will take you to the information sheet for a 2.2 magnitude seismic event that was reported to take place at a depth of 2.4 miles. Fairly close to the depth in the mine were the 6 miners were trapped.

USGS Earthquake Hazards Program » Magnitude 2.2 - UTAH (broken link)

Looking at the map, it seems that that one tiny area near the mine is experiencing more than it's fair share of seismic activity, and after reviewing the data, it's difficult to come to any other conclusion that the 3.9 magnitude seismic event was cause by activity in the mine, that the 2.2 and 1.7 magnitude seismic events were caused by work being done at the mine to resucue the trapped men.

I would also like to add that the earthquakes near Price Utah are shallower than most, but do not appear to have enough energy to effect the area close to the mine, to cause any issues there such as a setback which would effect the relief effort. And not to make light of the situation, but it appears to be the center of the Universe, or at a minimum a good place to look for the Big One.

I find this kind of stuff interesting, and thought it would be a good addition to the thread.

Old 08-09-2007, 12:07 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,373,422 times
my prayers are with the miners and their loved ones

Old 08-09-2007, 02:18 PM

871 posts, read 1,984,548 times
Default prayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleleigh View Post
my prayers are with the miners and their loved ones
Call on Jesus all believers. Unite in prayer for these miners and thier families. he makes all things possible. Were two or more are gathered is his name so there is he. I believe in miracles past and present. God is bigger than all of this.

Old 08-10-2007, 10:15 AM

As I understand it, they've reach the cavity were they miners may have been trapped with a 2 inch hole and inserted a microphone to listen for signs of life. The next step is to drill a 9 inch hole to provide enough space to send down some food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
View detailed profiles of: