U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-29-2011, 09:10 PM
 
6 posts, read 18,458 times
Reputation: 16

Advertisements

I am a single parent moving from New York City to Utah, preferably. I am not affiliated with the LDS, but have no problem with anyone or their religion, however, I have no intention of converting. I do not party, but I do enjoy an occasional glass of wine (by that, I mean one glass per week, but not more than three per month). The most important things to me are good schools, as my high school aged daughter's education is a top priority, and a safe, quiet neighborhood. I will be in search of a new job in the mental health field, as I possess an MA in Clinical Psychology, and will be looking to rent in order to ensure that purchasing is sensible for me, my daughter, and my dog. I am partial to the things that I have heard and read regarding Provo, but am open to MANY scenic places in southern Utah. If anyone can tell me the best places to live within a good public school area (as I have learned that the quality of the public schools, helps determine the quality of the surrounding neighborhoods), I would greatly appreciate it. Also, I am curious about the way that my daughter and I will be viewed, since I am a single mother, in some towns by some people. Finally, please understand that my intention is to relocate from NYC to Utah, not transform Utah into another version of NYC. That said, any help that anyone can give me is greatly appreciated
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-29-2011, 10:22 PM
 
Location: Mostly in my head
19,856 posts, read 62,821,753 times
Reputation: 19319
Find the job first. There are any numnber of universities in UT churning out PH.D.s and M.A.s in psychology. Jobs are tough to come by.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2011, 12:52 AM
 
6 posts, read 18,458 times
Reputation: 16
SouthernBelleInUtah......Thank you for your reply, however, my question was more about the way in which my child and I will be viewed IF we move to the Provo/Orem area--hence the word PERHAPS at the end of my title. Therefore, can you, if you have any, give a little insight on the aforementioned mattered? FYI, no matter what my degree is in, or where I received it from, I would NEVER move anywhere without a guaranteed source of income--especially with a child to support. However, I'm sure you already knew that, so you were being facetious. Thank you, I needed a good chuckle.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2011, 06:08 AM
 
Location: Mostly in my head
19,856 posts, read 62,821,753 times
Reputation: 19319
No, I was being direct. You would obviously be amazed at the number of folks who move somewhere without a job, expecting that they can get one. Since Provo has BYU (large & well known psych dept) and lots if students needing practica, it will be hard to find a job there.

Use the "search this forum" feature to read threads on just your questions.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
__________________
Moderator for Utah, Salt Lake City, Diabetes, Cancer, Pets forums
//www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2011, 07:11 AM
 
6 posts, read 18,458 times
Reputation: 16
I am quite familiar with BYU, their location, and their psychology department. Although I must say, that nothing anyone else does surprises me. I am, however, quite surprised at your assumption that I would move without a job--given that I began my post by saying, "I am a single parent....." I do appreciate your concern, but am still perplexed about the view that people from that area would have concerning me. Therefore, I will ask, if you can, to please address that issue, thank you so much.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2011, 09:29 AM
 
Location: Eastern NC
264 posts, read 859,858 times
Reputation: 231
Do everybody a favor and stay in New York.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2011, 08:22 AM
 
13,016 posts, read 12,258,756 times
Reputation: 41546
Quote:
I am a single parent moving from New York City to Utah, preferably. I am not affiliated with the LDS, but have no problem with anyone or their religion, however, I have no intention of converting. I do not party, but I do enjoy an occasional glass of wine (by that, I mean one glass per week, but not more than three per month). The most important things to me are good schools, as my high school aged daughter's education is a top priority, and a safe, quiet neighborhood. I will be in search of a new job in the mental health field, as I possess an MA in Clinical Psychology, and will be looking to rent in order to ensure that purchasing is sensible for me, my daughter, and my dog. I am partial to the things that I have heard and read regarding Provo, but am open to MANY scenic places in southern Utah. If anyone can tell me the best places to live within a good public school area (as I have learned that the quality of the public schools, helps determine the quality of the surrounding neighborhoods), I would greatly appreciate it. Also, I am curious about the way that my daughter and I will be viewed, since I am a single mother, in some towns by some people. Finally, please understand that my intention is to relocate from NYC to Utah, not transform Utah into another version of NYC. That said, any help that anyone can give me is greatly appreciated

I do not wish to seem unfriendly or unhelpful. However, in the past I have counseled any number of people against moving to the Provo/Orem/Utah County area. The area is rapidly growing in population and seems to get alot of attention. I believe its rated by several magazine surveys to be one of the "best" places to live in this country. Those surveys usually focus on low unemployment rates, low crime rates, and the availability of outdoor recreation.

What is tough about Utah County as a place to live is that it has a very distinct culture. Here are just a few things to bear in mind:

1. The population of Utah County is about 85% LDS. BYU (the LDS Church's flagship university) in Provo heavily dominates the local cultural scene. Its studentbody is more than 90% LDS.

2. Most social life in the area consists of either gatherings of extended families which occur in someone's home or is a church activity that occurs inside an LDS Church. Opportunities to make friends exist everywhere in the world. However, when so much of the social scene is monopolized by family and church activities, difficulty making new friends is a common complaint among non-LDS people living in Utah County and elsewhere.

3. You seem to state that alcohol is fairly unimportant to you, so I won't dwell on it. I will say that in a county of approximately 350,000 people there are probably only about 6 to 10 places (state liquor stores) where you can buy a bottle of wine. This gives you an idea about the local attitude towards alcohol.

4. I will be careful about this point. However, the LDS Church is probably what most call a "patriarchal religion". All the leaders of the church hold something called the "priesthood". All the people in positions of authority in the church in Utah County and elsewhere are men. I think there is some almost invisible bias that exists particularly in areas in Utah outside Salt Lake County against single parents and single mothers. Since I'm not a single parent, I'm reluctant to say too much. I think there other places besides Utah County that you would deem more hospitable.

5. This forum has seen a number of complaints from non-LDS people who moved to Utah County and were anything from unhappy to miserably unhappy with the choice they had made. If memory serves me some of the people were from New York. Keep in mind that the difference between living in New York City and Utah County is going to be a very dramatic one.

Moving to Utah isn't a terrible idea if you pick the right community. If you really are set on moving here, I wouldn't pick Provo/Orem. I'd move into the Salt Lake area. The difference between it and Utah County socially is pretty significant.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2011, 12:29 PM
 
Location: Utah
5,114 posts, read 15,906,206 times
Reputation: 5323
I grew up in Orem in a Catholic family. I didn't fit in, and I don't live in Utah county now. I have several siblings who still live there with their kids and grandkids. They seem to like it, But my two oldest sisters and I moved out of there once we were old enough. Two of the three siblings that still live there with their families, are LDS and the third sibling doesn't belong to any organized religion.

It is a very family/kid oriented area. Hard for a single, outspoken, non-LDS, female with no kids to connect with other people. Perhaps someone who's very outgoing and likes the great outdoors will find that area wonderful. Socially, I didn't like it there. I found the culture there suffocating and judgemental most of the time.

I'm not saying it's just the most awful place to live, it's really a nice area. I just didn't fit in with the masses and I am much happier in SL county. Some of my closest, dearest friends are LDS whom I met in kindergarten. We have a mutual respect for one another and our differences and that has enabled us to be life-long friends.

I hope your daughter has an easier time making friends and fitting in. I would guess that the times have changed and kids/parents will be more tolerant of non-LDS utah county citizens.

I wish you the best.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2011, 05:05 PM
 
6 posts, read 18,458 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I do not wish to seem unfriendly or unhelpful. However, in the past I have counseled any number of people against moving to the Provo/Orem/Utah County area. The area is rapidly growing in population and seems to get alot of attention. I believe its rated by several magazine surveys to be one of the "best" places to live in this country. Those surveys usually focus on low unemployment rates, low crime rates, and the availability of outdoor recreation.

What is tough about Utah County as a place to live is that it has a very distinct culture. Here are just a few things to bear in mind:

1. The population of Utah County is about 85% LDS. BYU (the LDS Church's flagship university) in Provo heavily dominates the local cultural scene. Its studentbody is more than 90% LDS.

2. Most social life in the area consists of either gatherings of extended families which occur in someone's home or is a church activity that occurs inside an LDS Church. Opportunities to make friends exist everywhere in the world. However, when so much of the social scene is monopolized by family and church activities, difficulty making new friends is a common complaint among non-LDS people living in Utah County and elsewhere.

3. You seem to state that alcohol is fairly unimportant to you, so I won't dwell on it. I will say that in a county of approximately 350,000 people there are probably only about 6 to 10 places (state liquor stores) where you can buy a bottle of wine. This gives you an idea about the local attitude towards alcohol.

4. I will be careful about this point. However, the LDS Church is probably what most call a "patriarchal religion". All the leaders of the church hold something called the "priesthood". All the people in positions of authority in the church in Utah County and elsewhere are men. I think there is some almost invisible bias that exists particularly in areas in Utah outside Salt Lake County against single parents and single mothers. Since I'm not a single parent, I'm reluctant to say too much. I think there other places besides Utah County that you would deem more hospitable.

5. This forum has seen a number of complaints from non-LDS people who moved to Utah County and were anything from unhappy to miserably unhappy with the choice they had made. If memory serves me some of the people were from New York. Keep in mind that the difference between living in New York City and Utah County is going to be a very dramatic one.

Moving to Utah isn't a terrible idea if you pick the right community. If you really are set on moving here, I wouldn't pick Provo/Orem. I'd move into the Salt Lake area. The difference between it and Utah County socially is pretty significant.

Thank you so much for your responses, as they seemed honest and sincere, and I truly appreciate that. You are correct, alcohol is fairly unimportant to me, so much so that I would be fine in a state that does not sell it at all.

I imagine the difference in Utah to be drastically different from NYC, but you certainly opened my eyes to many of those differences. Being a single-parent is frowned upon by many--even when some find out why I am single--especially in organized religion (mine included). I am very open-minded, and have no problem attending church functions, mass, etc., but I am Baptist, and intend to attend regular services in a Baptist congregation. However, I will heed your advice, and focus on other areas--even though BYU was always a dream of mine for PhD (if blessed enough to gain acceptance when I apply).

Thank you again for taking the time to enlighten me. In addition to Salt Lake City, would you suggest any other places in Utah, or perhaps other states/cities with a range of outdoor activities, beautiful views, and great influences? I have previously lived in Rhode Island, Connecticut, and Massachusetts, and none had the hometown, wholesome, outdoors feel that I am in search of (they also do not have the view).

Ade
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2011, 05:11 PM
 
6 posts, read 18,458 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
I grew up in Orem in a Catholic family. I didn't fit in, and I don't live in Utah county now. I have several siblings who still live there with their kids and grandkids. They seem to like it, But my two oldest sisters and I moved out of there once we were old enough. Two of the three siblings that still live there with their families, are LDS and the third sibling doesn't belong to any organized religion.

It is a very family/kid oriented area. Hard for a single, outspoken, non-LDS, female with no kids to connect with other people. Perhaps someone who's very outgoing and likes the great outdoors will find that area wonderful. Socially, I didn't like it there. I found the culture there suffocating and judgemental most of the time.

I'm not saying it's just the most awful place to live, it's really a nice area. I just didn't fit in with the masses and I am much happier in SL county. Some of my closest, dearest friends are LDS whom I met in kindergarten. We have a mutual respect for one another and our differences and that has enabled us to be life-long friends.

I hope your daughter has an easier time making friends and fitting in. I would guess that the times have changed and kids/parents will be more tolerant of non-LDS utah county citizens.

I wish you the best.
Thank you so much for sharing you experience, as they may be similar to what I would feel if I move to that area. I will think critically, and perhaps move into SLC as you and the previous poster have suggested. Can you shed a little light into the diversity of SLC? I appreciate any guidance and/or assistance you give.

Stay Blessed
Ade
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:33 PM.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top