U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2011, 10:32 AM

13,145 posts, read 20,409,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Most "public" land in Utah is federally owned. I don't believe they allow shooting but you can check federal laws.
They do. I believe you have to be 1.5 miles away from any house or occupied structure; most cities and towns have local ordinances against shooting in city limits too.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 10:46 PM

13,850 posts, read 12,064,205 times
I forgot to mention probably the best shooting range in Utah:

North Springs Shooting Range -- NSSR

There really isn't anything even close to this nice for shooting in Utah. It's run by Carbon County government and is a few miles southwest of Price. For any shooting enthusiast in the Wasatch Front area, it is certainly worth the drive down to Price: several ranges from 25 to 100 to 600 to 1000 yards, metal silhouettes as well as paper targets (with free golf cart to retrieve target!), police tactical range, cowboy style shooting in fake town, shotgun range, two archery ranges, and more. And it's modern, clean, and has some pretty high tech goodies for the tactical types.

It's a wonderful place to shoot and is miles and miles from any homes and anyone who would whine about the noise. Open Wed through Sunday, 9 am to dusk. You won't find ANYTHING in SL County or Utah county that even comes close in quality--most ranges in Utah County are open on the odd weekend and one night a week, and are short yardage ranges.

Moral of story beyond the simple info: too bad SL County and Utah County can't take some lessons from Carbon County on this matter. The place is doing VERY well. Really popular. Makes money for the county and gives shooters a safe and convenient place to shoot. Wouldn't it be nice to have a decent place to shoot around the Wasatch Front area so shooting enthusiasts wouldn't have to wildcat out on their own and find places to shoot that might be a nuisance to others? Sheesh... there's only one rifle range in all of Utah county that doesn't completely suck--only marginally. And it's hardly ever open.

Old 07-20-2011, 05:07 PM
704 704 started this thread

46 posts, read 63,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
There are a few places around my area (south Utah County) that have been set up as "unofficial" shooting areas. They are on public land but are in areas where there is a mountainside as a backdrop--so no chance of ricochets or stray bullets. I use them once in a while and have had no problem. The only bad thing I see is that many people who use them seem to want to trash them. That's a great way to have the county shut them down. Dumb.

There are also a few real shooting ranges, but the hours are sort of lame (open on the odd weekend sort of thing). The closest decent range that is open regularly is in Richfield. It's nice, with distance to 700 yds. I think that general area (richfield) would be a good area for shooting enthusiasts as well. In general, you'll find a better "shooter's atmosphere" away from the Wasatch Front (although there are some good gun shops around here)--so Vernal, Price, Richfield, Delta, etc... Also, the “west desert” is a great place to shoot. Pretty popular.

Be aware and cautious, and you’ll be fine. Utah is pretty gun friendly. We even have a “state gun.” Ha, that drives some folks nuts. Good. Lots of things drive me nuts about them too.

BTW, I like to shoot. I don't shoot at "anything that moves." I shoot at targets and metal silhouettes and spinners. I'm not big on hunting, really, but I can do it if I need the food. Mainly I shoot because it's fun. And I'm safe about it. I don't think I'm in the minority. Most shooters are safety mindied.

Granted, there are irresponsible shooters out there. There are also lot's of irresponsible drivers. But most shooters and drivers are responsible and safe. Let's not lump them all together and punish all of them because some of them are stupid.
I don't hunt often as is. I'm too far from a place to do it, which is why it's a plus for any possible moves. And I completely agree with the irresponsible shooters and drivers! Wish people would get that people who are shooting enthusiasts are actually very safe. We're the ones at risk, after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I forgot to mention probably the best shooting range in Utah:

North Springs Shooting Range -- NSSR

There really isn't anything even close to this nice for shooting in Utah. It's run by Carbon County government and is a few miles southwest of Price. For any shooting enthusiast in the Wasatch Front area, it is certainly worth the drive down to Price: several ranges from 25 to 100 to 600 to 1000 yards, metal silhouettes as well as paper targets (with free golf cart to retrieve target!), police tactical range, cowboy style shooting in fake town, shotgun range, two archery ranges, and more. And it's modern, clean, and has some pretty high tech goodies for the tactical types.

It's a wonderful place to shoot and is miles and miles from any homes and anyone who would whine about the noise. Open Wed through Sunday, 9 am to dusk. You won't find ANYTHING in SL County or Utah county that even comes close in quality--most ranges in Utah County are open on the odd weekend and one night a week, and are short yardage ranges.

Moral of story beyond the simple info: too bad SL County and Utah County can't take some lessons from Carbon County on this matter. The place is doing VERY well. Really popular. Makes money for the county and gives shooters a safe and convenient place to shoot. Wouldn't it be nice to have a decent place to shoot around the Wasatch Front area so shooting enthusiasts wouldn't have to wildcat out on their own and find places to shoot that might be a nuisance to others? Sheesh... there's only one rifle range in all of Utah county that doesn't completely suck--only marginally. And it's hardly ever open.
Damn, you really are selling me on that area... That range looks like awesome quality. Only place in NC I know of that has 1000 yard steel (aside from private property) is the Blackwater Training Center, which is a sold 6 hours away. I really appreciate the info!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah