U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 03:13 AM
704 704 started this thread

46 posts, read 63,677 times

Advertisements

Well, I'm a fairly simple person. I like golf, shooting, hunting, and off-roading. I'm not too particular on much else. Would anywhere in Utah suit me? I am wanting to be close to a city (20-30 minutes outside), but close enough to open land to go shoot (if that's legal, such as in AZ). Does such a place exist?

Also, what are the carry laws? I've been told there's no need for a permit to buy anything, and only need one to CCW. Can I open carry? And what are the laws on NFA items? Allowed?

It's a lot of questions, but I certainly appreciate the answers!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 07:52 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,590,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 704 View Post
Well, I'm a fairly simple person. I like golf, shooting, hunting, and off-roading. I'm not too particular on much else. Would anywhere in Utah suit me? I am wanting to be close to a city (20-30 minutes outside), but close enough to open land to go shoot (if that's legal, such as in AZ). Does such a place exist?

Also, what are the carry laws? I've been told there's no need for a permit to buy anything, and only need one to CCW. Can I open carry? And what are the laws on NFA items? Allowed?

It's a lot of questions, but I certainly appreciate the answers!
I can't give you any information at all on shooting, hunting and off-roading, except that I know it's all available here. As far as golf goes, my husband has never found a shortage of good courses around Salt Lake City.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:47 AM

19,864 posts, read 60,082,488 times
We are not the wild old West! See for firearms regulations: Search Results - Utah.gov and <FirearmLaws>

Old 07-12-2011, 09:57 PM

28 posts, read 79,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
We are not the wild old West! See for firearms regulations: Search Results - Utah.gov and <FirearmLaws>
Only on Pioneer day I'll be wearing my best bonnet! haha!

Old 07-13-2011, 12:43 AM

Thanks for the info. Any recommendations as to where I should look at? Does Utah allow shooting on public land? If so, what's a good spot between public lands and a suburban area?

Old 07-13-2011, 10:26 AM

5,580 posts, read 12,016,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 704 View Post
Thanks for the info. Any recommendations as to where I should look at? Does Utah allow shooting on public land? If so, what's a good spot between public lands and a suburban area?
The problem with shooting on public land is that you are NOT the only one there when you are *expressing yourself* ...
Ask yourself where that bullet is going ?

There are plenty of shooting ranges here, where you can do your *thing* to your hearts content, with other people who share your interest.

Please, keep in mind that Public Land is for everybody, and we as Utahns, love to enjoy the outdoors, without having to worry about somebody shooting anywhere, a short distance from us.

Unless you are way out in the boonies, you may not see anybody around, and even then, be careful of not injuring anyone.
When you get here, talk to other hunters who are familiar with these areas, and then follow their suggestions.

Most of all, if you do your *thing*, clean up after yourself.
It really hurts the other people to see umpteen spent *shotgun shells* (red coloured) laying all over the ground ...

We are recreational pilots, who love to fly low and slow over the Utah wilderness, and we have been shot at !!! Hopefully not intentionally !
Not a fun thing at all, when you find a bullet hole in your parachute ...

Old 07-13-2011, 12:03 PM

19,864 posts, read 60,082,488 times
Most "public" land in Utah is federally owned. I don't believe they allow shooting but you can check federal laws.

Old 07-13-2011, 05:55 PM

5,580 posts, read 12,016,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Most "public" land in Utah is federally owned. I don't believe they allow shooting but you can check federal laws.
Therein lies the problem.
We drive thru a lot of *Federally owned land(s)*.
And those areas, often have landmarks, such as Native American Pictorials and petroglyphs.
Guess what we see many times there ???
Bullet holes on the walls of the cliffs,
where those works of art are located ...

On our way to some of the areas where we fly, we meet people who are standing on the side of the road, with their shotguns, and they are shooting at something.
We often stop, talk to them and let them know what we are up to. We also ask them what they are shooting at, and their answer is many times: *Oh just anything that moves* ...

I often wonder what their simple brains are thinking of when they say that ???

By the way, we do take pics of them, while we mention that if they see us fly,
please do not shoot at us, since that is a Federal Offense !!

Old 07-13-2011, 06:16 PM

I understand how shooting in designated public areas works. I don't need a lecture on it.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:54 AM

13,880 posts, read 12,094,608 times
There are a few places around my area (south Utah County) that have been set up as "unofficial" shooting areas. They are on public land but are in areas where there is a mountainside as a backdrop--so no chance of ricochets or stray bullets. I use them once in a while and have had no problem. The only bad thing I see is that many people who use them seem to want to trash them. That's a great way to have the county shut them down. Dumb.

There are also a few real shooting ranges, but the hours are sort of lame (open on the odd weekend sort of thing). The closest decent range that is open regularly is in Richfield. It's nice, with distance to 700 yds. I think that general area (richfield) would be a good area for shooting enthusiasts as well. In general, you'll find a better "shooter's atmosphere" away from the Wasatch Front (although there are some good gun shops around here)--so Vernal, Price, Richfield, Delta, etc... Also, the “west desert” is a great place to shoot. Pretty popular.

Be aware and cautious, and you’ll be fine. Utah is pretty gun friendly. We even have a “state gun.” Ha, that drives some folks nuts. Good. Lots of things drive me nuts about them too.

BTW, I like to shoot. I don't shoot at "anything that moves." I shoot at targets and metal silhouettes and spinners. I'm not big on hunting, really, but I can do it if I need the food. Mainly I shoot because it's fun. And I'm safe about it. I don't think I'm in the minority. Most shooters are safety mindied.

Granted, there are irresponsible shooters out there. There are also lot's of irresponsible drivers. But most shooters and drivers are responsible and safe. Let's not lump them all together and punish all of them because some of them are stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah