U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 12:21 AM

21 posts, read 25,635 times

Advertisements

We currently live in West Jordan and have thought about moving out of the state - to which one were not sure. We love Utah especially the climate, but due to a few reasons we are looking to leave the SL valley. Thankfully finding a job is not an issue as my husband can be a remote employee - and my job can go with me as well.

So knowing this were looking all over, but in the end we really do love Utah. Because of this one of the area's we are considering is Logan, I love the Cache Valley area - it's beautiful & we would love to eventually own a bit of land to raise our kids on. We have 7 children so living in a family friendly area is a big deal to us - however other than visiting the CV area & loving the scenery we don't know a whole lot about the social life in this area of Utah. My only concern really is what the LDS community is like, we not anti-lds & I am NOT looking to bash the LDS faith (so pls don't either) in the least but we also like diversity & knowing that it's a smaller area than Salt Lake City I am wondering how we might fit in as a family who is not active.

I would genuinely appreciate any & all feedback you might have to share with me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 11:49 AM

fwiw & before I get anymore PM's from ppl assuming were leaving b/c of the LDS faith, we are not - if that were the reason we'd leave Utah entirely. I enjoy living here & as I said I have nothing against the lds faith - I just know that the lds community can be very strong in smaller areas and b/c of that it has me wondering if my family would have difficulty fitting in in an area that is smaller, like Logan, due to not being lds. My purpose in asking this question was not to offend.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:17 PM
Status: "02/11/21: I am fully vaccinated. Yay!!!!!" (set 16 days ago)

24,232 posts, read 24,703,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7turtles View Post
fwiw & before I get anymore PM's from ppl assuming were leaving b/c of the LDS faith, we are not - if that were the reason we'd leave Utah entirely. I enjoy living here & as I said I have nothing against the lds faith - I just know that the lds community can be very strong in smaller areas and b/c of that it has me wondering if my family would have difficulty fitting in in an area that is smaller, like Logan, due to not being lds. My purpose in asking this question was not to offend.
I didn't find your post to be offensive in the slighest. Perhaps the reason you haven't received a lot of response is that there are only one or two individuals on the forum who have actually lived in Logan and feel qualified to respond. I know that Logan is obviously predominently LDS (considerably more so than the Salt Lake area) but as a college town it would probably be less insular than some other towns of comparable size. Sorry to not be more helpful.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I didn't find your post to be offensive in the slighest. Perhaps the reason you haven't received a lot of response is that there are only one or two individuals on the forum who have actually lived in Logan and feel qualified to respond. I know that Logan is obviously predominently LDS (considerably more so than the Salt Lake area) but as a college town it would probably be less insular than some other towns of comparable size. Sorry to not be more helpful.
Thank you for replying. I received several private messages with people assuming I had issues with the lds faith, so I wanted to make it clear that that was not the problem nor the reason we were moving. I hadn't thought about the college town aspect so you have a good point there & I appreciate you mentioning that.

Old 07-20-2011, 03:08 PM

8 posts, read 34,203 times
7turtles,

It's hard for me to answer this question because I don't know much about you other than you have 7 kids (that's even a big family for Cache Valley) and you think Cache Valley is beautiful.

Since you have a large family and live in WestJordan I am going to assume you are probably conservative. Of course someone living here that is conservative politically is going to fit in. However, with the University you're going to find your fair share of liberals and democrats.

Go to a farmer's market and or an arts event in Logan and you'll feel like you live in yuppie central. This is one of the reasons I like it. It's a conservative area but definitely has pockets of liberalism and the outdoor granola type crowd.

Logan is more diverse than West Jordan. As of the last census Logan was 83% white and West Jordan was 88% white. In fact, last year it was said that the Logan City school district was just 67% white. This is due to a large Hispanic population and a fairly large Asian population (probably due to the university.)

Once again, even though you live in a bigger area that doesn't mean it's more diverse. Which I am not sure if you care or not but that's one of the things I like about Logan. You wouldn't expect a town in the middle of the Rocky Mountains on almost the Utah/Idaho border to have 2,000 Asian people in it.

Now on to the LDS population thing. The last article put out by the Salt Lake Tribune had the Cache Valley LDS population at 74%. So it's certainly not Salt Lake County but it definitely isn't Utah County either.

Obviously the LDS population in Logan is going to be lower than the smaller outlying farm communities. I'd say more around 65% which is probably due to having a University here. So this would actually be a lot lower than what you're used to in West Jordan. The only benefit you have is the diversity that Salt Lake brings so it might make things seem more diverse where you live.

I hate to be rude but I've noticed that kids who are good looking, smart, fun, outgoing, athletic, are popular no matter what race or religion they are. I went to Logan High back in the day and the most popular kid in school was Baptist and the best athlete in my grade was Catholic. Neither of them had a problem and they got plenty of girls.

I think you'll get someone that moves to Utah that is an introvert and then they blame in on the LDS population for not fitting in. Sorry, we all have excuses but then there is reality. Like I said, if your kids are active, especially in athletics or school they'll fit in anywhere. You can blame all of your problems on a race or religion. Of course the nerd that sits in the basement all day isn't going to have any friends.

However, I will say that with 7 kids most people will think you're LDS. You could be a target for some over zealous people in your ward boundaries that would love to bring 7 kids and 2 parents back to church. If you want an area that wouldn't have a lot of LDS people look at Thrushwood on the "island" section of Logan.

There is no place like Logan in the Summer Time. Sorry, you just can't beat it. If you told me you were going to San Diego I wouldn't be jealous of you. However, if you tell me you're going to San Diego 5 months from now I'll try and find a way to come along.

And my hell, there is nothing prettier than Bear Lake. It looks like the Caribbean, yet you don't have to worry about all of those damn sharks swimming around. Not to mention that the drive through Logan Canyon is nothing short of spectacular.

Old 07-20-2011, 03:56 PM

Thank you for taking the time to give such a great reply! Truly, I appreciate it.

Yes, we have a very large family & we do get some flack for it but it doesn't bother us (usually lol). I'd say we fit somewhere in the middle of conservative & liberal, we are Christian but not LDS and yes many people assume that we are LDS simply based on our family size. We would fit well into an outdoor granola type crowd actually, so I'm glad to hear that some of that can be found in Logan.

That is one of the things we are seeking, is diversity, so yes that is important. And I don't think your being rude, you have a good point when it comes to how active one is & looks - all of our kids are very active & are involved in at least one thing & have fit in quite well so I think we would do well in Logan - my worries came from not knowing anything about Logan other than it was smaller, having read your reply it seems I was worrying over nothing. We are a very active family & my husband and I have enjoy having a fun/active social life as well.

We have lived both in Ireland and the states, and agree that you can always blame your problems on race or religion - that is not something I have any intention of doing & hope that that is not how I came across. We are very much a live & let live family but yes, I did worry that if we moved somewhere that was smaller that we'd receive more pressure than we have here in WJ to join the LDS faith & I'd prefer to avoid that. Nothing against the faith, but we are happy with where we are

Thank you for the suggestion of Thrushwood, I have never heard of it but will look into it and I completley agree Bear Lake is amazing. We LOVE it there.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:23 PM

102 posts, read 287,821 times
I didn't have anything to add to this conversation because, as you know, we just moved to UT! But, when I saw the comment about Bear Lake, I just wanted to. I have never been outside the US (besides Canada), so I don't have much to compare it to, but I would have to say that Bear Lake is quite possibly the most spectacular sight I have ever seen. I was amazed when we drove through there...!

Anyway, good luck with your decision to move!

Old 07-20-2011, 09:10 PM

Thanks RSFMomma! Bear lake is wonderful, you'll have to take a vacation up there sometime. How is St. George treating you & your family?

Old 07-22-2011, 09:59 AM

102 posts, read 287,821 times
It's "okay"... And I only say "okay" because it's summer, lol. My daughter is 8, and because it is summer, it's somewhat hard for me to find kids for her to play with. We ended up in a townhome development, but unfortunately, there aren't too many kids here, and the ones that are, are quite a bit younger than she is. We have a 2 year old, too-- and he's content anywhere he goes-- as long as there is somewhere he can get into trouble.

I have been trying to find a way to meet some other moms in the area, but the only meetup group I can find isn't really giving me much, and I don't know where else to look.

But, overall, it's good. We have a place to live, my husband has a job-- I can't complain. :-D

Old 07-22-2011, 12:03 PM

Yeah, it gets HOT down there! It's hard when there aren't many kids around to play with, we currently live in a neighborhod like that & it's been hard at times. I hope you guys are able to start connecting with others soon - I did a quick google search & found a few sites that might be helpful

Southern Utah MomsLikeMe.com -- Where local Southern Utah moms go to get advice, share photos, ideas and more!
St. George, Utah area Moms - Circle of Moms (http://www.circleofmoms.com/st-george-utah-area-moms - broken link)
Utah Newcomers Clubs, Moms and Dads Organizations, Womens Clubs Directory
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah