Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 01:35 PM

16 posts, read 41,509 times

Advertisements

Hi all! My husband and I have considered moving from Sacramento to Utah. We've visited the SLC area briefly, but that's about it. My husband is half white half Mexican and I'm mixed from Hawaii and were wondering if there ate any areas that are diverse/ melting pot. We also have two children and would like reccomendations for safe neighborhoods. Coming from Sacramento and Hawaii (no snow) how is living in the snow? Is it hard to get used to? Also, my husband would work at a VA hospital.

One more thing, we are LDS (I'm a convert) and were wondering how the wards are out there? Like the movies?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 02:06 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,853,608 times
Comments inserted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamavisca View Post
Coming from Sacramento and Hawaii (no snow) how is living in the snow? Is it hard to get used to?

I assume you have seen snow before, no ??
For snowy weather, you get used to anything sooner or later.
Look at it this way,
Snow is like an elephant,
nice to look at,
but hard to clean up after ...

Is it hard to get used to ??
In my opinion, you would do fine,
simply because it seems that even local diehard Utahns
have to get used to it every year all over again.
Just watch the rate of accidents go up like crazy with the first snow....

Also, my husband would work at a VA hospital.

One more thing, we are LDS (I'm a convert)

Convert huh ??? Who is not ???

and were wondering how the wards are out there? Like the movies?

What movies ??? Nope, just like everywhere else.
You move in, they get you cookies and zucchini right away,
and then forget about you later ....
In essence, you go from one *ward family* to another.
For the first two or three months, coming from California,
you might wonder what year these people here, think it is ...

The California joke: You get to the border and there is a sign.
Welcome to Utah, Time Change, Set clock back 30 years.
Does work in certain cases here !!!

We came from California, umpteen years ago.
Wife is From Utah, and that is the start of the whole catastrophe ...
I hated it here, and the kids could not wait to get away.
Guess what, they are all back here now and love it, and so do I.

You hear a lot of posters complain about a lot of stuff here, and again,
guess what, they are still here ...

Just pack up, get here, have the neighbours unpack all your stuff,
and then you cuss because they broke stuff ..
In the end, they are all like family you had before at the *old place* ..
Then after a few years, go visit the *the old place*, and then ask yourself,
*How was I ever able to live there???*

On Sundays, do not be surprised that you can *walk* to church !!
If it is less than 3 blocks, please walk,
or you will soon look like all the rest, a bit on the meaty side ...

For more info, read what Katzy has come up with, in her *lowdown on Mormon Life posts*
I would not be surprised if women get the priesthood she will be the first Bishop !!!

For anything else, non Mormon, ask SouthernBelle. She knows everything !!!

Thanks!

Last edited by irman; 07-29-2011 at 02:26 PM..

Old 07-29-2011, 02:37 PM

@ irman
I've seen snow and been to it but not where we needed to put chains on tires.

From a few people who've lived in Utah for a few years and now live in Sacrameto:
"wards in Utah can be overwhelming? Always in your business? People try to outsmart each other? Unlike sac when someone goes inactive they stop coming to church but there they have to keep up their reputation?"

A comedy movie I watched but don't remember the title, showed women in RS competing on displays (carving ice statues).

I am a stay at home mother but isn't the bread making, motherhood group, crafting, baking, blogging type- most of the former Utah residents do this, then again is that just a Mormon cultural stereo type or a Utah Mormon stereo type?

Old 07-29-2011, 02:59 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,853,608 times
Comments inserted

Quote:
@ irman
I've seen snow and been to it but not where we needed to put chains on tires.

When you get here, you can adopt the Utah attitude or be a careful driver, and consider the risks of *not having the proper equipment*.
Just a trick here.
When winter arrives, go to Les Schwab Tires.
Then decide if you can live with your *all weather* tires, all winter, or get a set of winter rated tires on a set of cheapy rims. Then if you plan on traveling, get a set of Tire chains from them and get the ones that can be returned if you never used them that winter ...
My Family ?
I can not afford to have the wife drive with our grandchildren in snow on crappy tires, so I have two sets of tires for our family-car AND a set of Tire chains. Never have used them for all the time we have lived here.
Like Accident insurance, never get into an accident, never have to use it !!!

From a few people who've lived in Utah for a few years and now live in Sacrameto:
"wards in Utah can be overwhelming? Always in your business? People try to outsmart each other?

All depends on YOUR outlook on life. You let people get to you, you asked for it !!

Unlike sac when someone goes inactive they stop coming to church but there they have to keep up their reputation?"

Are you thinking of changing your name to Jack ???

A comedy movie I watched but don't remember the title, showed women in RS competing on displays (carving ice statues).

I am a stay at home mother but isn't the bread making, motherhood group, crafting, baking, blogging type- most of the former Utah residents do this, then again is that just a Mormon cultural stereo type or a Utah Mormon stereo type?

Again, all depends what you are like. I have tried to teach my kids that if you do not like something, then either live with it and shut up, or change it.
Just be yourself, and always keep a smirk on your face so people will always wonder what you are up to ...

Old 07-29-2011, 03:12 PM

Thanks! Appreciate the info

Old 07-29-2011, 03:37 PM

1,294 posts, read 3,253,803 times
Mamavisca, are you guys moving because of a new job, better for kids or just because you want to?

Its a big move, we moved here to Utah from Florida. And yes the Church ward thing is different. People have so many relatively close family members around, they don't really know what a true ward family is. But its still nice, people still help you move, help each other in bad times and are generally friendly.

And no its not like movies like the Singles Ward or the like.

Old 07-29-2011, 04:43 PM

We are still thinking about it. We live in Sac and my husband works nights an hour away. I don't feel safe at night at home by myself with the kids. I've read that Utahs cost of living is lower, schools are better, neighborhoods are safer and friendlier. I also figure (my own reasoning) that if even one out of every five people are members then there'll be safer neighborhoods because of the lack of drugs, drinking, etc.. There's also a VA hospital which would benefit my husband towards retirement in the long run.

If we move it'd be for location, kids and if my husband could easily get transferred then work. I also would like to go back to school eventually.

Old 07-29-2011, 05:24 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
I moved here from the South and have no trouble driving in winter. I have an AWD vehicle with all-weather tires. Works fine year round.

In SLC itself about 50% are LDS but not sure how many are really active. There are a lot if suburbs where the % is higher I think.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 07-29-2011, 05:51 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,211,043 times
Quote:
Hi all! My husband and I have considered moving from Sacramento to Utah. We've visited the SLC area briefly, but that's about it. My husband is half white half Mexican and I'm mixed from Hawaii and were wondering if there ate any areas that are diverse/ melting pot. We also have two children and would like reccomendations for safe neighborhoods. Coming from Sacramento and Hawaii (no snow) how is living in the snow? Is it hard to get used to? Also, my husband would work at a VA hospital.

One more thing, we are LDS (I'm a convert) and were wondering how the wards are out there? Like the movies?

Thanks!
Quote:
We are still thinking about it. We live in Sac and my husband works nights an hour away. I don't feel safe at night at home by myself with the kids. I've read that Utahs cost of living is lower, schools are better, neighborhoods are safer and friendlier. I also figure (my own reasoning) that if even one out of every five people are members then there'll be safer neighborhoods because of the lack of drugs, drinking, etc.. There's also a VA hospital which would benefit my husband towards retirement in the long run.

If we move it'd be for location, kids and if my husband could easily get transferred then work. I also would like to go back to school eventually.
I have been here two years from CA, we have never needed chains but you want to keep good all weather tires on your car. The snow is not very bad, not like Fargo, it melts fast here. Snow stays on the ground an average of I think 28 days a year. They do a great job plowing the streets.

We feel very safe, we are in a community that has homes close together, some don't like that, I like it, especially when I am out of town and the family is home alone.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:32 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Hi all! My husband and I have considered moving from Sacramento to Utah. We've visited the SLC area briefly, but that's about it. My husband is half white half Mexican and I'm mixed from Hawaii and were wondering if there ate any areas that are diverse/ melting pot. We also have two children and would like reccomendations for safe neighborhoods.
My husband is Hispanic. I am Anglo. Most parts of the Salt Lake City area are reasonably diverse, but probably not as diverse as you would see in California. I'd say that, in terms of safety, you would want to avoid West Valley City, Taylorsville, South Salt Lake, and Kearns. Otherwise, most areas would be fine. On my street, we have one mixed race family (Asian/Anglo) and a Middle Eastern woman. Then there is my husband. I don't know of anybody we know who thinks of him any differently than they do me. (Except that he's nicer.)

Quote:
Coming from Sacramento and Hawaii (no snow) how is living in the snow? Is it hard to get used to? Also, my husband would work at a VA hospital.
I don't know how to answer this one. I absolutely hate the snow and I've lived here all my life. Other people just love it. It's really a matter of personal preference.

Quote:
LOL! I'm not sure which movies you're thinking of. Salt Lake City wards would probably not be all that different from Sacramento wards. As long as you're not thinking of moving to somewhere in Utah county, I don't think you'll see much difference between what you find here and what you're used to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah