Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 01:28 PM

2 posts, read 4,918 times

Advertisements

It actually does happen here with the mormons, and I hate when people pretend that it doesn't. Yes, my son does have a few friends who are mormon that he plays with. He is also excluded from some others in the area who are mormon, who even have a playgroup we have never been invited too.

I have lived here my whole life. There are good and bad people here just like everywhere else. I do feel Utah is more stiffling than other states so expect that.

There are also some mom groups, which is how I connected with my non mormon friends. Northern Wasatch moms on meetup.com .

Sky
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 09:12 PM

313 posts, read 778,654 times
It's not so much pretending it doesn't happen; I just think it happens in most suburbs. I grew up in East Sandy under those circumstances. While a mother doesn't appreciate this, I prefer having wised up to the nature of man a bit with this outsider experience. I never felt left out, I was an honors student who felt a bit smarter than thou concerning the holier than thous, even in grade 5. It scares me to think that if I didn't grow up around Mormons I could be singing monotone hymns every Sunday!

Old 09-12-2011, 09:09 AM

1 posts, read 1,690 times
Default Layton is a great Place to Live

First let me say I am Mormon! Layton is a great palce to live and their are many public and private schools that can accomodate handicaped children, my wife substitue teaches many children with learning disabilities. I have lived in many different states and countries and understand your concerns. Some LDS folks tend to be some what standoffish, but for the most part you will find many to be wonderful neighbors who enjoy being neighborly. Many of the cities close to Hill AFB have a very diverse population of many nationalities and neighbors from many states, I do not think your son will have any problems being acceped in the schools or community. If you might be intersted in more info please send him a DM.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 09-12-2011 at 09:56 AM.. Reason: never a good idea to publicly post your email!

Old 01-07-2012, 07:54 AM

4 posts, read 9,966 times
I am a little late on this thread, but moving to Layton from Las Vegas was and is great. Layton is more diverse than other cities and I don't see being non-lds as an issue at all. Utah has changed a lot and is more diverse than what you read on the internet. I work in insurance and see a lot of people and Utah is great place to live for everyone. Our family is diverse, we should know. Let me know if I can help in any way.

Old 01-07-2012, 08:27 PM

600 posts, read 1,933,374 times
But you also have to know that Layton is tiny and boring compared to cities like Vegas or Orlando. There is nothing special there even it's diverse and a place for all kinds of people. But so are 90% of the places in Utah.

So if you are a city person it might not be the optimal place.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:30 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,303,039 times
Quote:
But you also have to know that Layton is tiny and boring compared to cities like Vegas or Orlando. There is nothing special there even it's diverse and a place for all kinds of people. But so are 90% of the places in Utah.

So if you are a city person it might not be the optimal place.
Very true. I've lived in North Davis County for about 30 years. When I began living here it was an area making the transition from a rural area to a suburban/urban area. One example of this transition is that many people cannot imagine a time when there was no traffic light at Oak Hills and Fairfield Road. However, when we began living here it was a four way stop sign. Today, it is an extremely busy intersection.

You won't find tall buildings, sporting arenas, or a college in Layton. (although Weber State University and Utah State University have "learning centers" in Layton) Its sort of an in-between place that sprang up between Salt Lake City and Ogden and than grew on its own. The "downtown" is small and very old. The only thing even noteworthy about it is the new "Front Runner" or commuter rail station that was built a few years ago at the south end of downtown.

The real center of Layton is not "downtown". Its the Layton Hills Mall, The Hilton Garden Hotel, and the Davis County Convention Center which are all to the north. This area has a huge number of chain restaurants, chain stores, and movie theater complexes. West on Hill Field Road (the same road the Mall is on) is a huge Walmart store.

The municipal building and courts are tucked away to the east of Main Street and are bounded by a most impressive park. A stream runs through the park creating a sort of sanctuary for ducks. Many people show up with old bread and feed the ducks. There is amphitheater in the park which holds concerts and other events in the summer months. Its popular though and you need to make sure you get your tickets in advance. The city has a "wild wave" pool which is covered in the winter time for use year round. Layton High School is also adjacent to the park.

Geographically, Layton is large. Its the result of a smaller city of Layton annexing the city of "East Layton" about 30 years ago. Most of the area is actually houses and suburbs. While the business area around the mall has become impressive, what will stand out to most people are miles of suburbs located primarily to the east of the business district, but also to the west towards the Great Salt Lake.

Hill Air Force Base has the most profound influence on the community. Civilian and military jobs represent a huge "cash injection" into the local economy. When you go out for lunch to local restaurants it would be unusual not to see Air Force men and women in their uniforms.

The east part of Layton goes up to Highway 89 and than the foothills of the Wasatch Mountains. There are several hiking trails in the mountains which can make for an excellent half-day (or longer) excursion. This is a activity though which is limited to late spring/summer/early fall.

It "aint New York City". It is a very pleasant place to live though.

Old 10-18-2012, 06:33 PM

33 posts, read 101,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
May I ask who you've heard these things from? That will give me a very good idea of how reliable to tell you they are.
My husband and I are also wanting to relocate to Layton Utah. He has a cousin that works at Hill AFB. When I mention to people that we want to move to Utah, the very first question we are asked is "Are you mormon". When we say no, they give us a funny look. Not to mention, my MIL used to live in Syracuse Utah, and she had neighbors who wouldn't let their kids have anything to do with her stepson because they were not LDS. So I can see why Utah gets this bad rap. However, it is like that in all parts of the US. No matter where you go there will always be one type of group of some kind that is going to treat others different. Just have to weed them out and find the ones who treat people friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah