Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2011, 12:38 PM

2 posts, read 4,113 times

Advertisements

Family of four with move of our choice to either Nephi, UT or Lakeland, FL around December. We love all outdoors stuff: camping, skiing (snow & water), swimming, rafting, sports, etc. We know Nephi is in the boonies, so just wondering about the towns as you go northeast to Provo like Payson, UT. Also, if by some weird chance you have recently lived in Lakeland, FL and know about it, could you make a comparison or are they too different? We're looking for good elementary schools in both areas, but more interested in the community dynamic. Do people have block parties, BBQs, progressive dinners, etc? Are there Farmer's Markets? Can you walk from your home to the library, grocery stores and parks? We're moving from Portland, OR and love it, but the job takes us elsewhere. The move seemed like a no-brainer at first with us set to go to FL and get us a house with a pool and all that sunshine, but we want to make a better informed decision. We will visit each place a few times, but would like some more insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 08:24 AM

25,758 posts, read 18,818,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McClellan View Post
so just wondering about the towns as you go northeast to Provo like Payson, UT.
Payson and the enitre south Utah County area is growing like wildfire. Nephi will be next on the population explosion hit list, more than likely, because it's relatively close.

Quote:
Do people have block parties,.
Doubtful. I've never seen one in all the time I've been around here (35 years or so). I suppose it's possible, but you have about the same chances of seeing the northern lights (Okay... I HAVE seen the northern lights once in Utah).

Quote:
BBQs, progressive dinners, etc? ,.
BBQ's yes. Most have a grill in the back yard. progressive dinners? Hmmm... no idea.

Quote:
Are there Farmer's Markets? .
Yes. Quite popular.

Quote:
Can you walk from your home to the library, grocery stores and parks? .
Yes.

Quote:
and get us a house with a pool .
Won't see much of that around here. Public pools in the summer months yes, but very few private pools.

Old 07-15-2011, 10:34 AM

1,613 posts, read 3,239,806 times
From someone who lives in Tampa,fl (45 minutes from lakeland) and lived in Utah as well. There isn't even a comparison. Utah is by far a MUCH better place to live. More stuff to do, people are nicer, scenery is AMAZING and there are tons of things within driving distance (Yellowstone, grand canyon, Vegas etc..)

Florida is hot, humid, crowded and there really isnt a lot to do. We have a ton of theme parks but at 80ish bucks PER TICKET to get in, they get quite pricey and once you do them there isnt much left. If your into the beach thats a benefit although in lakeland your going to be driving for 2 hours or so to get to a beach.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:00 PM

2 posts, read 4,113 times
Thanks so much for your reply.

Old 08-28-2011, 05:26 PM

53 posts, read 155,714 times
I haven't been to Utah, but I've been all around there in Colorado, Wyoming, Idaho, etc. I live in Lakeland, and I can tell you that if I had to choose between any of the other states I mentioned and Lakeland, I would choose those states in a heartbeat.

Lakeland has some nice attributes, but the bad far outweigh the good. It's definitely not a great place to raise kids. The school system here is awful. I have two daughters age 10 & 11, and we are leaving before they get to middle school. I would definitely not send one of my daughters to be with the extremely bad kids in these middle & high schools.

The other bad part about raising kids in lakeland, is the very high amount of sex predators. I still refuse to let my girls play outside unsupervised. Too many horror stories.

One of the things that I always found very enticing about the area around you are considering moving is the extremely friendly & nice people in those areas. Compared to here it is night & day.

In general people are very rude here. And if they are not rude, you can tell by their body language they want to be rude to you.

There are nice people, but I don't seem to encounter them anywhere near as often as I do the opposite.

One thing I've noticed to, is that the people that AREN'T from Lakeland, will give you a much more accurate view of the general community here. The people who were born & raised here do not seem to have ANY issue with the rudeness, ignorance & self centered majority of people in this city. They don't seem to realize there is any problem. But if you've come from a decent place elsewhere in the country you will definitely notice you are in a completely different place in America.

Also there is tons of sunshine which I'm sure you would like coming from Portland, but realize that is unbearably hot here 9-10 months out of the year.

Good luck to you.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:12 PM

313 posts, read 778,797 times
Ugh this is a pretty crummy choice IMO. Nephi is lame. You had better like ATVs and television a lot because there is nothing else. If you like Portland you would hate Nephi. If you are sick of the city and those hippy liberals and their beer you might like it.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:53 PM

9,533 posts, read 16,522,023 times
I live in Portland and personally I don't care for it at all. Though the state is beautiful. I leave in March 2012. I'm glad you like it though because that will fit into my advice for you.

I am familiar with Lakeland and spent some time there a few years back when I was based in Tampa for a short time. I visit the area every so often. There is no comparison to here in Portland and Lakeland. If the people/cultures here in PDX have not turned you off, then I don't know how you would fit in with Lakeland. Personally I like Lakeland to a point though its crime is rather high for its size. It is very conservative and that is an understatement. It is a nice smaller city with some definite beauty and charm in its downtown and nearby lakes. Other than that I don't know how interesting it would be for you. Its more of a place you live and then travel to other areas of Fla for recreation. There's alot of driving involved with living in Fla. I really think someone that loves Portland is going to have trouble with Lakeland and Polk County Fla. I'm sorry but that is being honest. It would take someone that really wanted the lifestyle and population types of that area to be comfortable. I can't think of two areas more different than PDX and Lakeland, Fla

. As far as Florida is concerned the Lakeland area is one of the more affordable areas of the state. It is in a good location for travel to Orlando and Tampa. Its basically an eastern suburb of Tampa. Also being an inland location it does receive protection from hurricanes to some extent any way. Also that inland location does help to make it a very hot location, since it doesn't seem to get much in the way of a breeze.

I don't know where your from orignally and everyone has their likes and dislikes. Perhaps you would end up really liking Lakeland. I hope that would be the case, and I hope your decision on either location will be a fullfilling one for you and your family.

Best of Luck

Old 08-29-2011, 08:14 AM

1,613 posts, read 3,239,806 times
I personally wouldnt use the hurricanes as a deciding factor of which part of the state to live in. I have lived in tampa for 23 years and havent ever had any issues from hurricanes and I live in tampa, about 10 minutes from the tip of the bay. Not to mention, hurricanes are usually atleast 2 times the width of the state, that little bit being inland isnt going to do much good for you.

Old 08-30-2011, 02:59 PM

1,294 posts, read 3,254,853 times
I lived NEAR Lakeland and I live NEAR Nephi now, I have been to both places. As others have suggested, Nephi is far superior for your needs than Lakeland. Plus in Nephi, the property values might actually go up.

Old 09-11-2011, 11:38 PM

3 posts, read 4,079 times
I think Utah is a great place to live, but I think I would live North of Nephi if I had the choice. My husband grew up in Nephi and hated it. He said there was nothing to do besides get in trouble, and he and his sister definitely have the past to prove it. My in-laws now live in Springville and like it quite a bit. Their neighborhood is pretty close-knit and has had a number of block parties. Most Utah cities aren't very walkable, but everything is usually less than a 5 minute drive away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah