Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 01:05 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,760,104 times

Advertisements

I think Utah has as much or more "comfort food" to offer than just about any place on the planet. Plenty of good wholesome stuff too courtesy of the LDS. If I'm willing to drive a bit I can easily find an excellent steak, chicken fried steak, barbecued brisket and excellent breads of all kinds. Fish is where Utah is very weak (and don't use Market Street Grill as an example they aren't even in California's or Washington's world as far as quality). There are even a few chains that really have their act together (Texas Roadhouse and Olive Garden come to mind). We may not have quite the level of diversity as some places I've been, but it's not really all that bad. In Utah we're pretty simple and not complicated. You can't complicated go to New York City Still I sure wish there was a real full Kosher Deli like in NY or Chicago. I got spoiled. What they call a "deli" here is a poor excuse for one that's for sure. Oh well...guess you can't have it ALL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 09:10 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,213,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by altajoe View Post
Not arguing, but nearly 60% of the establishments featured are located in the ski areas. To me this illustrates the fact that the Food Network is entertainment and not necessarily a barometer of critical analysis.

There are many fine restaurants in Utah and the best way to discover them is eating out 6 nights a week
All the DDD shows are in SLV, that is more what I go by. I wish I could eat at Mesa Grill in Vegas all the time but I need to feed my kids also.

All of the places he went to are great. An interesting note is he only went to one in Vegas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
I think Utah has as much or more "comfort food" to offer than just about any place on the planet. Plenty of good wholesome stuff too courtesy of the LDS. If I'm willing to drive a bit I can easily find an excellent steak, chicken fried steak, barbecued brisket and excellent breads of all kinds. Fish is where Utah is very weak (and don't use Market Street Grill as an example they aren't even in California's or Washington's world as far as quality). There are even a few chains that really have their act together (Texas Roadhouse and Olive Garden come to mind). We may not have quite the level of diversity as some places I've been, but it's not really all that bad. In Utah we're pretty simple and not complicated. You can't complicated go to New York City Still I sure wish there was a real full Kosher Deli like in NY or Chicago. I got spoiled. What they call a "deli" here is a poor excuse for one that's for sure. Oh well...guess you can't have it ALL
Good points!

Old 09-30-2011, 02:17 AM

973 posts, read 2,142,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibarbie View Post
I really wasn't trying to skewer you Buckeye, I just feel that saying the food here "sucks" is kind of harsh. What I meant to ask and managed to misspell was what cities have you lived in that you did enjoy the food?
I know that food is near and dear to some people and just sustenance to others and good vs not good is quite personal too.
Please do PM me your list of places that you love or hate as I am always interested in trying a "new" spot!
I know, I just get sensitive. I already said harsh might be too bad, but, you posted again.

I've only lived here & hillbilly (again, MO lol) Akron, Ohio, & burbs. The food there is comfort & fatty. As I've said, I've lost weight here, a plus. I make sure to hit the 'hot spots' I love back 'home' in Ohio. Fried chicken, pizza, fatty cheeseburgers, & potato teasers, w/ ranch. 'You' got me hooked on the ranch for dipping. lol

Eventually I'll PM you. I kinda feel I don't have a full list yet. There are places I still want to try. lol

Old 09-30-2011, 10:12 PM

835 posts, read 2,076,770 times
Pray tell,,,,what is a potato teaser? Sounds fried and yummy...

Old 10-01-2011, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibarbie View Post
Pray tell,,,,what is a potato teaser? Sounds fried and yummy...
Yes, it is so good, but bad. lol Fried, in a bread shell, potatoes, cheese, & jalapeno. So yum! Yes, we use ranch in Ohio. lol My kids are addicted to ranch, & one kid & hubby to fry sauce here. lol As always, in moderation. lol I'm trying to perfect a recipe here, but, I'm so not a cook. lol

Old 10-01-2011, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
It's good to know I'm not the only person annoyed by that childish crap. Yet I hear it constantly. I'm all for personal freedom, but not at the expense of everyone elses' sanity or freedom to be free of pointless noise pollution. "Vanity Noise" will certainly be one thing I won't miss when I move to the sticks. I'll take a cawing hen over a brat that thinks his Honda Prelude sounds hot and that everyone else should hear just how hot it is any day.
Even if you don't agree w/ my food quote, I do agree on the noise. It's almost silent in my 'hood, except when the kids are home & playing. I hear a jackhole thump-thump lame bass about twice a year for, maybe 20 seconds. But, I think most neighbor's glares are enough. lol I remember when I thought that was cool, almost 20 years ago. lol

Hubby rode a motorcycle to work for a bit, until, a driver ran a stop sign & clipped him. Utah drivers are not good. 2nd worst for motorcycle accidents after lane splitting Cali. Kinda embarrassing, IMO. We sold hubby's bike. The risk wasn't worth it.

We do have one guy in our hood who has a 'bold' Honda. He has a baby girl due in Dec. I hope it helps. =) He really is a great guy, I can just see hubby & other males about 10 years ago. lol

Old 10-01-2011, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
All is Utopia. lol IMO, Utah is as close as it gets. My neighbors are home, from scratch cookers, their dishes are great. I finally had real funeral potatoes here. My LDS friends make them for us. lol I used the same recipe, but, it wasn't the same for some reason. =P

Old 10-02-2011, 08:29 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,760,104 times
My favorite potatoes are my OWN. I take and cut up thin wedges from baked potatoes, baste a large pan with foil on it with peanut oil. Then place the cut potatoes on the sheet and baste the tops with peanut oil. I use natural salt and cracked pepper on top. Broil for about 12 minutes. Man I have to tell ya it beats the crud out of any deep fried potatoes I've had anywhere. The peanut oil is a huge part of it. The first time I ever had such things were a visit to Antwerp Belgium back in the days when I was buying diamonds for a retailer in California. I was there for a week, and we went to a restaurant and they had a huge basket of shoestring fries done in peanut oil. I've never had anything that luscious since. Nice crispy on the outside and potatoey on the inside with a flavor unlike anything here. So this is as close as I've gotten.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:27 AM

Thx, dcisive. I'm going to get peanut oil soon. =)

Old 10-07-2011, 02:28 PM

107 posts, read 201,903 times
Default thinking of relocating to Utah

I was thinking of relocating to Utah but then some friends told me that it was "different" there. They told me that they never felt like they were at home. Maybe it does have to do with the whole Mormon thing. I've heard that some of them can be very "standoffish" toward people who are non-Mormons which is wrong. That is the problem with this world-too many people think that they are better than everyone else. We are all the same, we bleed the same blood so no one should think that they are better than anyone else. Come on people it is 2011, let's get it together. If the majority of us believe in God then we know that He does not like people going against one another. So let's stop thinking that just because we don't look a certain way or act a certain way that we are any different from anyone else. We need more love in this world and stop the hatred and prejudice. I'm so sick of it all already, it's really disgusting!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah