U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2011, 09:45 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,801,069 times

Advertisements

Hello -- Live in Denver but I will be driving with a friend to the Moab area for 3-4 full days around Thanksgiving.

I've only been there once for about a day so I'm looking for ideas. One day will be Arches, and I was thinking about Canyonlands for a 2nd day. Would like to see/hike some slot canyons, are there any in Canyonlands or is that a different area?

Canyonlands looks pretty big, are there any notable things to see over other things?

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 10:36 AM

26,271 posts, read 27,450,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
Hello -- Live in Denver but I will be driving with a friend to the Moab area for 3-4 full days around Thanksgiving.

I've only been there once for about a day so I'm looking for ideas. One day will be Arches, and I was thinking about Canyonlands for a 2nd day. Would like to see/hike some slot canyons, are there any in Canyonlands or is that a different area?

Canyonlands looks pretty big, are there any notable things to see over other things?

Thanks
One thing I'd do while in Moab is look into having someone take you on a Hummer ride up over Hell's Revenge. It's an experience you'd remember for the rest of your life. Also be sure to hike the Fiery Furnace in Arches. It's a ranger-guided hike (you can't go on your own), and you have to sign up for it in advance (as soon as you get to the park would be good).

I've actually not been to Canyonlands, but yes, there are slot canyons there. Ever see the movie, "127 Hours" about Aron Ralston, the hiker who cut off his own arm? That happened in Canyonlands.

I think most people find more to do in Arches than in Canyonlands. Both are probably worth visiting, but you could easily spend three days just in Arches.

Old 10-13-2011, 12:20 PM

5,859 posts, read 13,013,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
Would like to see/hike some slot canyons, are there any in Canyonlands or is that a different area?
Just stay out of slot canyons when the weather might be turning bad on you ... !
How long can you tread water ?? (credit to Bill Cosby)

In short, almost anywhere around Moab, *in the hills or mountains* is just incredible.

I think the best resource, on where to hike, would any *Ranger Station*.

After you get tired walking/hiking, you can drive the road next to the river, and just enjoy the scenery, and the cliff huggers.
The west side of the road (from the main road) is prettier, than the east side (just my view !!)

Old 10-13-2011, 01:33 PM

I would assume the slot canyons are a lot safer in Winter than Summer? Would actually be nice to have a bit of snow for some unique pictures.

I'm looking around on google maps and it looks like the White Canyon area and the Natural Bridges area would be interesting. There are a number of slot canyons along highway 95 in that area. Has anyone ever been to that specific area?

Old 10-13-2011, 02:06 PM

13,413 posts, read 12,656,499 times
Quote:

Thanks
When you go out to Canyonlands National Park, take the road that goes out to Dead Horse Point as well. Its a phenomenal area where you can see how the Colorado River has carved its way through rock cliffs over millions of years. In Canyonlands, make sure you go to the point where you can overlook the two rivers, the Colorado and the Green, moving towards one another until they reach their confluence. I think this point is called "Island in the Sky". Its a very dramatic sight high up on the cliff where you can see for miles in every direction. You'll have time to do everything if you spend a day at it.

Take Potash Drive along the side of the Colorado River which is just outside Moab and drive south. You'll see the huge cliffs on both sides of the road. You'll see the dark deposits of copper and other minerals in the cliffs. If memory serves me, there is at least one spot you can exit your vehicle and view Indian petroglyphs. The view of the river from your car is spectacular.

When you to Arches National Park make sure you do three hikes:

1. The Fiery Furnace which has been described by another poster;
2. The "Windows". This is a short hike in which you can view about four natural arches contained in a small area.
3. The Delicate Arch hike. No symbol is more emblematic of the state of Utah. Its the arch on the Centennial Series of Utah license plates.

Some other suggestions:

1. If you are a drinker and like beer, go to Eddie McStiff's brew pub in downtown Moab. Eat and have a brew.

2. If you are adventurous, borrow a mountain bike and try biking a small portion of the "Slick Rock Trail". Anyone in Moab can point you to it.

3. If you like "touristy things", you might consider driving south of town about ten miles to a placed called "Hole in the Rock". Its a place where fifty years ago a man dynamited a home out of some rock cliffs. Last time I was there it was open for tours. There is an admission charge and it may not be something you'd enjoy, but it is an option for your visit.

Have fun! Its a great place to visit.

Old 10-14-2011, 11:11 AM

224 posts, read 609,510 times
One day for Arches should work. You'll need to get online and sign up for a Fiery Furnace ranger hike ahead of time if you want to do that. Though it does take a significant amount of time to do and may take away time from some of the other areas of Arches. So in a one day visit I'm not sure it would be the best use of your time. All of the hikes in the Windows section, the Devil's Garden hike and Delicate Arch are the must-dos in my opinion.

Canyonlands is huge. And pretty much very difficult to access. There are three sections. The one by Arches is called the "Island in the Sky". It is mostly just looking at the incredible views there. Shafer Trail overlook, Mesa Arch hike, GrandView Point and Green River Overlook are the must dos there. Also nearby is Dead Horse Point State Park is a must - really beautiful. Anything else requires 4x4 dirt road driving or a major commitment of time for the longer hikes or bike rides.

Another section of Canyonlands is the "Needles", south of Moab. It is a longer drive from Moab so hard to do as a day trip. Especially since most of the great stuff there (Angel Arch, Druid Arch, the confluence of the Green and Colorado, the Chesler Park area) are all long hikes. If you can set up camp there and take the hikes I know you'd enjoy them.

The third section of Canyonlands (the "Maze" and "Horseshoe" Units) is further away, very remote and accessed from closer to Hanksville. This is the area of Aron Ralston's story.

If you are looking at slot canyons then it is a whole different trip and mostly further away. I have thought about White Canyon but not done any hiking there. The San Rafael Swell has many slots and many are fairly accessible. San Rafael Swell | Utah.com

Old 10-14-2011, 11:26 AM

6,973 posts, read 11,562,841 times
If you have 3-4 days, don't miss Professor Valley north of Moab, a frequently used Hollywood location, unknown to most movie buffs. Red Cliffs Lodge has a little movie location museum in their basement, and the (excellent) restaurant has a fabulous view deck. Check out this thread, or do a search on "Castle Rock," "Professor Valley" or "Red Cliffs Lodge."
//www.city-data.com/forum/utah/...utah-area.html

You can drive the length of the valley all the way to Fisher Rocks and back, and take hundreds of photos, and still make it back to Moab after a couple of hours and do other things. Or you can make it an all-day trip and explore the side roads, especially the Castle Rock road going up into the mountains (but check the map!). We were there for 4 days around Thanksgiving ourselves a few years ago, and it was a great time of year to visit--or we were just lucky with the weather!

Old 10-14-2011, 01:54 PM

Firey Furance hike is only until October, so it looks like that's out. Sounds like there will be plenty to do, thanks for the suggestions everyone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah