Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 01:37 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I used to work in a law firm in Salt Lake City. One day, there were about 5 people milling around my desk and, somehow, the subject of "Provo" came up. One attorney, who went to BYU, had served a mission and was a very, very strong, committed Mormon said, "No way I'd ever live in Provo, too many Mormons there." I nearly fell off my chair - worse, everyone agreed with him! I was left with my mouth hanging open as they walked off, talking about how "Mormony" Provo was and how uncomfortable they felt there.
I've had similar discussions with my temple-married, mission serving, and alcohol abstaining LDS friends. We are in virtual unanimous agreement that "enough is enough" and there maybe such a thing as "too much of a good thing".

This is just speculation on my part having been LDS all my life. I think deep down many of us think some members of our church carry things a bit too far. I'll give some examples:

1. A poor guy who spoke in testimony meeting about dealing with a cigarette addiction problem was ridiculed (actually ridiculed by a woman with a weight problem). Why shouldn't the guy be able to get support for a problem like this from his church?

2. While our church teaches us to abstain from alcohol, those of us who aren't fanatics realize that many people do have an occasional drink and that no harm results from it. So, it gets a bit wearisome to hear some allegedly devout members talk as though these occasional drinkers are going to cause the end of mankind.

3. Members who feel divinely commanded to vote a straight Republican ticket in elections. Utah County is apparently full of them as John McCain got a 78% vote in the 2008 election which is a greater percentage than any other country in the United States.

4. The church teaches that gay people are living a sinful lifestyle. Whether this is true or not, the wise ones among us realize that there is plenty of other sinning going on (adultery, etc.) that seems to barely raise an eyebrow among some of our brethren.

When those of us who are LDS talk about wanting to live in an area with "a little diversity" this is pretty much what we are describing. Our prime complaint is among those in our faith who read things into the teachings that really aren't there and show zero tolerance for those who are not carbon copies of themselves. One the ones that really makes me sigh are people who object to drinking any form of caffeinated soft drinks. I'm lead to believe this is very prevalent in the Provo/Utah County area.

Last edited by markg91359; 05-27-2012 at 01:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 05:32 PM

6 posts, read 22,719 times
Default Excellent Answer

I'm a guy looking to relocate to Utah, been to SLC It's not for me.
So, I was reading the threads on here and all I see is LDS, I don't care it's your choice.
I know Mormons that sin, trust me sin in every way possible.
People are human, GOD is GOD. I keep to myself and honestly don't care if you run around naked, I keep my nose in my business. I don't plan to ever become Mormon.
I see the posts and view them about the same as racism. Better run to Church and ask for forgiveness, Judge not!!

I like the area of Orem and Provo, I want to fish and relax and enjoy life.
I don't drink, nor smoke, just won't conform to anyone telling me I better be this or else!
Grow up, same people on these pages saying the same hatred crap on them.
I don't ever need to work, don't plan to and just don't want to be bothered either.

see You there in a few months, look for me, I'll be the guy waving as I pass the temples/churches/grotto's. OH, I'm also the grown up in the crowd of clowns!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Yeah, it was sarcasm. But this topic comes up every once in a while and it always ends the same on this forum. It simply becomes a Utah County slamfest.

Of course, everyone's experiences with a specific location are going to be different. All I can say is that I'm not at all religious. I've been here over 30 years and I've never had a problem with the dominant religion in the area or specific members of that religion. No torches and pitchforks. No inquisition down here.

What I will say is that if your happiness depends on others' lifestyles, you might not be too keen on the area. If other people not behaving like you bothers you bothers you, you may not like it here. But if your happiness is largely dependent on yourself and you tend to mind your own business rather than everyone else's, you should be fine.

Here's an example of what I mean:

Let's say you like to go to the local bar on Friday nights. If you go to that bar and really don't care how others around you feel about it, you'll be fine. If it doesn't bother you that your neighbors live a strict religious life, you'll be fine. On the other hand, if you come out of that bar with your gaze shifting back and forth looking for anyone you might know who has "seen you" and might think less of you... if how you appear to everyone around you is critical to your happiness, this is not the place (unless your lifestyle is the same as theirs). Also, if you expect everyone to live their lives just like you live yours... well then heed all the other posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah