Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 09:28 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,941,024 times

Advertisements

Apology if this topic has already been raised, but I'm looking for some input from the people who've seen Joh Huntsman at work. You may know that we in NH have a little presidential primary vote on Tuesday, and any honest subjective opinion is appreciated.

There is so much trash-talk going on, near constant TV ads, phone calls, etc. from the various presidential candidates. Debates only show how well the candidates are able to 'push back' when attacked, and I've heard all the sound bites, etc. Now I'd like some opinions from 'we the people', you who live in Utah and have personal experience of him in office.

Overall what is your impression of Jon Huntsman? Do you think he did a good job for the people of Utah? Do you think he'll make a good president? I'm a firm believer that past performance is a good indication of future performance, so please jump in. Any insight is greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 09:50 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,930,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
Apology if this topic has already been raised, but I'm looking for some input from the people who've seen Joh Huntsman at work. You may know that we in NH have a little presidential primary vote on Tuesday, and any honest subjective opinion is appreciated.

There is so much trash-talk going on, near constant TV ads, phone calls, etc. from the various presidential candidates. Debates only show how well the candidates are able to 'push back' when attacked, and I've heard all the sound bites, etc. Now I'd like some opinions from 'we the people', you who live in Utah and have personal experience of him in office.

Overall what is your impression of Jon Huntsman? Do you think he did a good job for the people of Utah? Do you think he'll make a good president? I'm a firm believer that past performance is a good indication of future performance, so please jump in. Any insight is greatly appreciated
I am so pro-Huntsman, it's not even funny. I think he did an absolutely exceptional job as Utah's Governor. I guess most everybody else did, too, since he won his second term by nearly a nearly 80% majority. I've heard people on the forum complain that he's too moderate. Consider the fact that Utah is probably the most conservative state (in terms of how its population votes) in the nation. He obviously wasn't "too moderate" for Utahns and he wouldn't be "too moderate" for the nation. Of course, in my book, "moderate" is a very nice word.

Huntsman isn't the kind of politician who likes getting into nasty fights with his opponents; I kind of wish he were just a little more forceful in that respect. But he's an "exceptional leader" . You've seen articles, I'm sure, on what he did here in Utah. I could post some of that information again, if you'd like, but I have a feeling that's not what you're looking for at this time.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:10 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,798,569 times
I would vote for him in a heart-beat over Romney. Much more personable and moderate (not a bad word to me). I hate the Romney dog story (google it) and think it shows a fundamental lack of compassion. You can't grow compassion, it's an inborn trait.

Old 01-08-2012, 11:03 AM

Katzpur, I would absolutely appreciate more information, especially as written by local papers/reporters than national media. Everything is so distorted, and it's an absolute frenzy here in NH right now. I'm going to see Huntsman speak later today at a private home, (vs a frenzied local coffee shop visit that starts in 10 minutes, with press, etc). Any other opinions are very much appreciated--thanks to you who have already responded

Old 01-08-2012, 11:20 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,847,869 times
Huntsman is a *Statesman* --- Romney is a *Businessman*

The *problem* with most people,
if they are not *in the business of being in business*,
is the fact, that in business, everything is a business decision !
No room for compassion, in a sense, unless you are a philantropist.
Been there, done that -- NOT the philanthropist thingy !!!

Now imagine Romney AND Huntsman at the helm ....
Romney to get America back on track in a business type manner (it WILL hurt for many people !!), and Huntsman to get things smoothing out, because of the bad feelings you WILL get, about the things that NEED to get done to get America back on the right track !

Bringing up stories out of the closet does not help in any case. I personally have done things I am NOT proud of, but HAD to do.

What worries me is that each time we go thru this process, we are promised a lot and get very little of those promises afterwards.

What I like to hear is, what WILL you do for me !
NOT what *might* you do for me.

As always, I will vote for that person who I think will do the right thing, even if it hurts ...

My personal experience with Huntsman ?
No personal ones, never met him personally, but I have seen what he has done before., and as I stated before, he IS a statesman !!! (In the proper sense of the word !!)

Old 01-08-2012, 11:35 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,283,997 times
Jon strikes me as the kind of person who makes a very good impression on others. I've always been charmed by him when he gave an address on television or was interviewed. There are some very intriguing aspects of his personality. For example, my favorite story is that he used to have a rock n' roll band that would practice in the basement of the Governor's Mansion on South Temple.

He is well educated, handsome, and obviously quite intelligent.

He's an adoptive parent and since I am one as well that alone gives me something of a bond with him.

I admire his willingness to serve as Ambassador to China on behalf of Barrack Obama. It certainly is indicative of a person who puts "country first and party second".

Now, I come to what I don't like. I think it was a mistake to decrease the sales tax on food from 6.5% to I think 3% (?). This was his idea and in fact what he'd like to do to make up for it is impose a tax on all services in this state. Imagine paying the doctor another 3% or 6% whenever you need a checkup or a complicated medical procedure. Jon was not particularly effective at working with the legislature. I think they too were "dazzled" by him, but there's not really a whole of substance to him.

The biggest issue with Huntsman though is that I don't really believe he is a Republican. That's fine with me. However, if someone is seeking a Republican nominee for President I don't think you have the genuine article. Oh, he'll say the right phrases. He won't do anything to give himself away. I just think deep down he is not a Republican and he is not really a conservative either. He ran as a Republican in Utah because he couldn't have been elected running under the label of the opposing party.

Finally, I guess you could say this about a lot of politicians. I am weary of wealthy people who run for public office. Not all, but many really don't understand how the rest of us live. I am probably too impractical, but it would be nice to be able to vote for someone who wondered how they were going to pay for the braces their child needs on their crooked teeth or who's idea of a family vacation is four days at a cabin up in the Uinta Mountains.

I'm glad you are interested in Huntsman, but the truth is that the "fix is already in". Romney will be the GOP nominee for President. All the rest is just formality.

Old 01-08-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
Katzpur, I would absolutely appreciate more information, especially as written by local papers/reporters than national media. Everything is so distorted, and it's an absolute frenzy here in NH right now. I'm going to see Huntsman speak later today at a private home, (vs a frenzied local coffee shop visit that starts in 10 minutes, with press, etc). Any other opinions are very much appreciated--thanks to you who have already responded
I'm not sure what information to direct you to. I just did a google search myself, but being a Utahns, maybe I had a better feel for the words that would provide you with the information you're looking for. I'll give you several links, some of which are to locally written articles, others not.

A Closer Look at Huntsman's Fiscal Record
Huntsman is Best
Huntsman's Legacy in Utah (http://www.sltrib.com/csp/cms/sites/sltrib/pages/printerfriendly.csp?id=52598654 - broken link)
Huntsman's Legacy of Charity Efforts
Huntsman on Civil Liberties
Huntsman -- The Sane Republican
Huntsman Signs Universal School Voucher Bill

Salt Lake City has two daily newspapers: The Salt Lake Tribune and The Deseret News. You could search their webpages for more information. Of course, if you wanted to see what was being written about Huntsman during his tenure as Utah's Governor, you'd have to search the archives between 1/3/05 and 8/11/09.

Personally, what I like best about Huntsman is that he's seriously a man of integrity. He's not a flip-flopper and he stands up for what he believes. Not that this would matter with respect to national politics, but he was the force behind the liberalization (sort of ) of Utah's liquor laws. He also spoke out in favor of gay civil unions. So socially, he may be more liberal than almost any of his opponents. Fiscally, he's a conservative. Just my opinion. Hope it helps.

I'm interested in your feedback after hearing him speak.

Old 01-09-2012, 01:31 AM

835 posts, read 2,075,799 times
Obama/Huntsman 2012

Old 01-09-2012, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibarbie View Post
Obama/Huntsman 2012
Too bad it's not possible.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:40 AM

I've often thought that the best solution would be a divided ticket...

I think Cain/Obama could be interesting
Huntsman: Secretary of State

Left/right, conservative/liberal, we're all just people and at the end of the day, I think that most of us (without entitlement issues) just want for our country to be strong, free, educated and respected worldwide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah