Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 03:06 PM

12 posts, read 29,891 times

Advertisements

My husband and I want to get the heck out of Louisiana, we are sick of seeing murders on the local news every night. And I am from South Dakota, so you can probably guess my feelings about the weather (hate hate hate!!!).

My husband will be traveling for work, so we would like to be somewhat close to the airport, and I'll be going to U of Utah. My other major concern is an odd one - we have three pot-bellied pigs. They require a good sized yard and nice neighbors. They don't make any noise or anything, but I would be worried about living in a bad neighborhood where people might harass them. They live primarily outside. Salt Lake City allows them as pets, but I don't know if other towns would be as tolerant.

I grew up in a small town, so I have no problem with a rural setting, but I was wondering what Grantsville is like besides that. Are the residents welcoming? I saw other posters say that it isn't, especially to non-Mormons (we are Lutheran). I also saw some affordable houses in the Layton area. From what I've seen on the message boards, this is an ok area, but affordable single family homes make me nervous. From my experience these are affordable for a reason.

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this, I'm so excited to move back to a nice area with nice people!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 03:35 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
What is your price range?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 04-29-2012, 03:58 PM

We could go as high as $100,000, but I would really prefer to keep in the 60-75,000 range. That seems to be pretty low for the area, so I'm a bit worried about being able to find a safe place. I'm pretty gun-shy after the crime I've experienced here.

I would like to add that Park City is extremely appealing to me, but probably out of our price range. I love outdoor activities! And my husband is a New Orleans native, so he would probably want an area that is a bit more mixed, with plenty of ABC stores

Last edited by Pigsandparrots; 04-29-2012 at 04:16 PM..

Old 04-29-2012, 04:11 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,758,372 times
Well, you can pretty much leave Layton OUT of your picture. Their ordinances alone would be a reason but then the housing prices will also kill your deal. Grantsville IS your best bet by far. There are a few listings to be had for homes in the 80-90k range but the lions share are $140k and above. You might have a shot at it at least. IT is MUCH more rural with relaxed regulations out there. Closer to the airport for SURE but you will have a bit of a commute to Salt Lake, not too bad really. Good luck to ya. Crime in Grantsville (I'm in that business) is all but non existent so you'll be glad about that. Layton has been plagued with a LOT more crimes of all varieties so stay out of there. Take care......

Old 04-29-2012, 04:15 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
Not a lot of state liquor stores, certainly no comparison to NOLA(i'm anywhere in the state (I'm also from there).

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:44 PM

Thanks so much for the replies! I'll try to focus my search on Grantsville, and the husband can get used to the idea that Utah is a bit more dry than the debauched state of Louisiana (I say that with love).

Old 04-29-2012, 05:13 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,758,372 times
You won't have trouble finding what you want to drink in the State store in Tooele which is pretty close overall if you're in Grantsville.

Old 04-29-2012, 05:14 PM

600 posts, read 1,933,213 times
Add a 100k and you will find a decent house.

Old 04-29-2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCAS007 View Post
Add a 100k and you will find a decent house.
We're still young, I don't mind getting a small house or a fixer-upper. I just want a little land in a safe area.

Old 04-29-2012, 06:14 PM

600 posts, read 1,933,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigsandparrots View Post
We're still young, I don't mind getting a small house or a fixer-upper. I just want a little land in a safe area.
And that is hard to find in the area you're looking for. Not trying to ruin your dreams. Go with a real estate agency and go visit houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah