U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2007, 07:45 AM

3 posts, read 8,407 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Thank you in advance for any and all help.

I am currently a school administrator in Iowa who would like to re-locate to the cache valley region.

How likely is it that I would not be considered as a candidate for any openings due to the fact I am not LDS?

I personally have no issues w/ LDS. My wife is LDS, my in-laws are LDS, I live a stones throw from Nauvoo, you get the picture.

I just wonder if there is not mention on my resume of church activities or membership if it (my resume) will be automatically tossed out.

I know there are regions where I am positive it would matter, there are also areas where I don't think it would be an issue.

What about Logan area?

Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2007, 07:47 AM

1,819 posts, read 7,381,671 times
[quote=iowaeducator;1538366]

I just wonder if there is not mention on my resume of church activities or membership if it (my resume) will be automatically tossed out.
[\QUOTE]

No it wouldn't

Old 09-20-2007, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaeducator View Post

No it wouldn't

Old 09-20-2007, 07:49 AM

Thanks coolcats. That is good to know!

Old 09-20-2007, 12:04 PM

46 posts, read 220,344 times
The best advice is to keep your resume focused on job related issues. It is illegal to ask about religion on the application or in an interview but you are correct, if someone were to volunteer the information that they had been on a mission somewhere the inference is that they are a member in good standing. In the opposite showing up for an interview in clothing that showed you were not wearing religious garments would be a telltag.
This is less of an issue at the school districts and larger employers than if you applying at a small business. There is enough training about EEO principals and the schools are very much aware of the liability for violations.
When are you looking to apply. There are two districts in the valley and one up in Idaho. Send me a PM if you wish to discuss further.

Old 09-20-2007, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john2timex View Post
The best advice is to keep your resume focused on job related issues. It is illegal to ask about religion on the application or in an interview but you are correct, if someone were to volunteer the information that they had been on a mission somewhere the inference is that they are a member in good standing. In the opposite showing up for an interview in clothing that showed you were not wearing religious garments would be a telltag.
This is less of an issue at the school districts and larger employers than if you applying at a small business. There is enough training about EEO principals and the schools are very much aware of the liability for violations.
When are you looking to apply. There are two districts in the valley and one up in Idaho. Send me a PM if you wish to discuss further.
No doubt, I don't expect them to ask me about it directly, I just noticed on some online resumes that church membership is noted, as well as volunteerism that is LDS related (boy scouts, etc).

My resume is professionally focused, as were the ones online. However at the end there is some mention of professional organizations, community involvment, volunteerism, etc. This is where I see church membership pop up.

It makes it easy when culling resumes for an opening to automatically exclude candidates that may not be LDS.

Old 09-20-2007, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaeducator View Post
No doubt, I don't expect them to ask me about it directly, I just noticed on some online resumes that church membership is noted, as well as volunteerism that is LDS related (boy scouts, etc).

My resume is professionally focused, as were the ones online. However at the end there is some mention of professional organizations, community involvment, volunteerism, etc. This is where I see church membership pop up.

It makes it easy when culling resumes for an opening to automatically exclude candidates that may not be LDS.
Yes it does pop up, but I don't know how people should hid it. On my resume, I noted the following:
"Volunteer Church Representative, Russia, 1994-96"

To anyone in Utah, it would be completely obvious what it was. Back East, I'm not so sure. In anycase, it opened doors for me to get my first Government job.

Frankly I need to explain a two-year gap in that wasn't school or work (well it was work, but unpaid work). Plus, I think it is an acheivement that shows some perserverance and broadening experiences.

It's part of the culture of Utah, so take it for what its worth. I don't think the lack thereof is a disqualifier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
View detailed profiles of: