Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 04:31 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,732,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie-Rabbit View Post
I thought ebay was based in the Bay area of California?
There is a customer service center near Salt Lake.

Old 11-25-2007, 09:15 PM

14 posts, read 66,574 times
Default Reply to questions

Relocated from: Riverside, California
NON-LDS
Job Market: "Appears to be great", however I have sent my resume out about 10 times in the last three years, and have been called back four times for an interview.
Emploers treatment toward you? Fair
Gangs: None that I know about, no graffiti (unlike the wall behine my house in California)
Discrimination: You hear about it, but my neighborhood is mixed and both my LDS neighbors and Non-LDS neighbors are very friendly and have welcomed us into their homes
Schools: Although none of my kids are school age yet, my wife is a school teacher and Jordan School district is a little below average, pay is way to low for teachers. However, my neighbors RAVE about Alpine School district schools and are very happy with the schools in Highland/Alpine area.

Do you feel you mae the right decision moving to Utah? Obsolutely yes. Regardless of what you hear about Utah and "Mormons". You cannot beat the traffic, the airport is very easy to fly in/out of (as I fly about 2 weeks per month). The recreation is second to none. Skiing is MUCH better than anywhere in the U.S. Taxes are reasonable, crime is low, schools are average, people are friendly and housing prices are fair.

Please tell us what you have personally experienced, so we can understand eachother and learn from one another.

This is a great thing to bring up.....I think that people place WAY to much emphasis on religion as part of their daily social lives. If you ask most people, Religion is a personal thing and others usually cannot sway their beliefs,which is wonderful. As for my experience as a "outsider". I have lived in Utah for three years after living in (Hawaii, Virginia, California, Rhode Island, Mass, New Jersey, Ohio and Pennslyvania), and I must say Utah is the best place I have ever lived.

I must admit, I too was worried about the mormon/non-mormon thing, but eventually developed friendships with both mormons and non-mormons alike. Mormons live a very church/family oriented live and spend most of their time in church related activities. One of our mormon neighbors would come to neighborhood halloween parties, and even our neighborhood dinner out nights.

We as non-mormons and those that are mormons need to realize that Utah is changing as quickly as the world is changinge, and must learn to accept our differences and embrace our similarities. Utah could be a MUCH better place is we create neighborhoods that are build on "you watch my back, I will watch your back" thoughts. I mormon friend helped me get a job, while a non-mormon neighbor shoveled my driveway the day my daughter was born.

I still hear of some mormons that have moved into our little non-mormon haven, and are very confrontational. We have all offered our help to them when they need something, and even invited them to backyard BBQ's, but they have declined it all. In my opinion, you cannot close your door to thy neighbor as they may be the one to protect your house when you are away or make sure your child does not get hit by the passing car. If you push away your neighbor because of their faith, you yourself are not a very good neighbor.

If you feel they need to express yourself, this is why there is forum and freedom of speech. Some have great things to say and some not.

Old 11-25-2007, 09:37 PM

14 posts, read 66,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Joe View Post
I'm considering relocating to the Salt Lake area. How much do you need to earn to live comfortably??? What is the real cost of living (utilities, taxes, etc...).
Joe, I moved here from California three years ago and housing prices have gone up. However, if you are relocating to the Salt Lake Valley, you could purchase a nice home between $250-$350K. Taxes in Salt Lake are a little higher than Utah County, but still reasonable. Utilities are reasonable, electric/gas pretty much average to the rest of the country. Water can be higher, it depends on where you live. You do not find Mello Roos like you do in California, which is basically an additional tax to help in newly developed areas. You can find new homes on the West side of the freeway, while mostly older homes east of the freeway.

Gas prices are crazy here (but still not as bad as California). Last fall our prices were the lowest in the country, and at one point our gas prices were the highest. Depending on where you are coming from, your commute will be shorter, which means less money spent on gas.

My wife and I are living on a single income, with one child and one on the way with a $1800 a month mortgage. My income ranges from $80-90K (sales), and we live comfortably here and have some extra for skiing or an sushi dinner from time to time. You could live comfortably at about $75K I would think (it just depends on your lifestyle). A single person could live here for $45-50K easily.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-25-2007, 10:10 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,285,143 times
Quote:
I thought ebay was based in the Bay area of California?
There is a customer service center in Draper. I would have stayed except for the fact that I felt bad about being a female over 30 who has to work since apparently that is not the thing to do in Utah.

Old 11-26-2007, 07:57 AM

242 posts, read 1,117,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catrinac View Post
There is a customer service center in Draper. I would have stayed except for the fact that I felt bad about being a female over 30 who has to work since apparently that is not the thing to do in Utah.

Funny, In So Utah wh3ere it is more conservative and more traditional LDS, I was over 30 and single along with several other LDS ladies. We never had a problem. We used to joke that we were going to be the first Mormon Nuns. I find it interesting that you say it is more of an absolute in SLC area that you were picked on for being single when I last lived in Park City, and attended the U of U, Many of the female students taking classes along with me (molecular bio chem classes) were older and single. They had no such problems either. That was in the mid 90's. I was married at the time. I was kidded all the time about being married and going for a science degree. I never took it seriously that they would tease me.

Old 11-26-2007, 05:57 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,273,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philiplo View Post
We lived in Sierra Madre 1970-1979. I was bussed to Pasadena schools (Edison Elementary, Eliot Jr. High & PHS), though we moved away after my sophomore year. GO BULLDOGS!

Did you ever eat at McDonald's on Foothill, near Santa Anita Dr.? I worked there.
I graduated from Arcadia..my mother in law worked in the cafeteria at Elliot during the time you were there...what a coincidence!

Old 11-27-2007, 03:32 PM

119 posts, read 585,712 times
Relocated from: Rock Springs, WY
NON-LDS

Job Market:Not that good in my area, I live in Price. There have been a lot of layoffs in my husband's field, coal mining.

Employers treatment toward you? I am not employed I'm a SAHM, but things have been good for my husband.

Gangs: None that I know about

Discrimination:I haven't encountered any

Schools: My daughter started Kindergarten this year and her school is great! I really like the teachers and the parents are very involved.

Do you feel you made the right decision moving to Utah? We are kind of regretting it right now, only because my husband works in coal mining and after the incident in August coal mining is shaky around here.

Please tell us what you have personally experienced, so we can understand each other and learn from one another.

I love it here, it is so beautiful. I have not experienced any discrimination being a non-mormon and my daughter hasn't had a hard time making friends at school. It's also nice to go shopping on Sunday and have the place basically be deserted. lol. I haven't made any really great friends yet, but we've only been here since the end of July. My neighbors are decent. They are much more friendly than they were anywhere else I lived (South Dakota, Wyoming, and New Mexico - the people there were so rude!).

Old 11-27-2007, 05:22 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,285,143 times
Quote:
Funny, In So Utah wh3ere it is more conservative and more traditional LDS, I was over 30 and single along with several other LDS ladies. We never had a problem. We used to joke that we were going to be the first Mormon Nuns. I find it interesting that you say it is more of an absolute in SLC area that you were picked on for being single when I last lived in Park City, and attended the U of U, Many of the female students taking classes along with me (molecular bio chem classes) were older and single. They had no such problems either. That was in the mid 90's. I was married at the time. I was kidded all the time about being married and going for a science degree. I never took it seriously that they would tease me.
It really could be Salt Lake. I find people here automatically assume that there is something "wrong" with me. I have become very, very sensitive about my look and even had a rhinoplasty within months of moving here. That has made no difference though, the nose will most likely need to be revised. People make shocking comments about me being "that way" or that I am reliant on my hand (yes, very, very shocking, I know, especially from total strangers in public). I even got a "cat litter" comment over at the Fort Union Target; ie, that I must be a pathetic cat owner because I'm not shopping with my kids and husband. It is so sad, I have never been so mistreated in my life. I was never treated this way in Albuquerque. I do have a couple of guys interested in me, and have seriously considered having one of them with me wherever I go on weekends rather than going places by myself as I am often apt to do. My mom taught me to get in the car and "charge" any time anything needs to be done (ie, errands, etc) and that shopping is not necessarily a "family" affair.

Old 11-29-2007, 01:33 PM

1,108 posts, read 3,321,512 times
Quote:
I grew up in So. Cal. until I was 10. We had Santana winds. I guess no one but me felt them or had the bad sinus headaches they caused.
It's Santa Ana winds.

Old 11-29-2007, 01:49 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,273,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Charles_ View Post
It's Santa Ana winds.

I've seen it spelled both ways Santa Ana and Santana...either is correct
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
View detailed profiles of: