Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 06:04 AM

95 posts, read 474,821 times

Advertisements

Those who have recently relocated from another state to Utah, Please tell us your personal opinion. Especially if your hispanic, black and non-LDS.

Also, what is your evaluation of the job market, job interviews, employers treatment towards you? Is it fair or unfair? Gangs, discrimation, schools, community, neighbors etc. Do you feel you made the right decision moving to Utah?

Seem like there is much confusion on the forum and there are new members and relocators asking for advise and direction as to moving to Utah but in fear of living in a Mormon state and schools and so forth.

Please tell us what you have personally experienced, so we can understand eachother and learn from one another.

If you feel they need to express yourself, this is why there is forum and freedom of speech. Some have great things to say and some not.

Old 09-24-2007, 10:44 PM

5 posts, read 19,959 times
I have relocated from Central Pennsylvania to Roosevelt, Utah and I'm open to the concept of religion just not entirely convinced by it. So I am non-LDS. Job market is booming here as I have mentioned in another thread everyone is hiring and if you can't find a job why you're just not looking hard enough. I've only had one job interview and I got hired on the spot. I work in a law office. To which I enjoy very much. I get treated very well employer to employee (I'd imagine this would vary though as not everyone is the same) And it is fair. I don't know much about the gangs around here nor should I feel that I would like to. There is discrimination here I know but it's not .. or at least as much as I've gathered a HUGE problem here. School's I've heard are great, Communities everyone in my semi-suburb pretty much keeps to themselves the people you do meet seem nice. As for the right decision in moving here since it really was sort of the only choice for my father at the time who acquired an oil job here at the time it was yes. But in less then a year we'll be heading back to the east coast as much of our family is back there. The mormons you shouldn't need to worry about. You are what you are either they like you or they don't. Same as with any religion I guess and or personal preference. They seem fairly nice the ones that are willing to talk to you that is. No offense to others as I don't and never hold against a group. I like individualizing things. But even so I can't wait to move back to the east coast where everything moves faster.

Old 09-25-2007, 04:58 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,364,506 times
We moved hear a year ago in December, and we love it. We are non LDS and it has not been a problem. We came hear after almost 3 yr in NY I am from New Mexico and my husband is a native of california but lived in New mexico for 9 years. I like the fact that we are closer to both side of the family now. People are very friendly out here and they are also helpfull, its clean out here and I had my wallett returned to me with nothing missing so I can say Utah is a pretty great state and I thank all involved with making it the way it is. Oh and you can buy hatch green chilie out here

Old 09-26-2007, 10:22 AM

413 posts, read 1,583,689 times
Wife and I relocated to Cedar City from Vt in April. So far, we love it. As far as the LDS thing goes, we REALLY like Sundays and Mondays. Everyone is in Church or at home on Monday night. We have found the everyone to be helpful and kind. The LDS has oit bothered us in any way. If certain people choose not to associate with us because we are not LDS, that is their problem, not ours. One thing I will say is that, in our experience, customer service generally is not good. Kinda just have to get used to it. So in a nutshell, life is good in Utah.

Old 09-26-2007, 11:53 AM

15,370 posts, read 38,987,994 times
I gotta jump in here.....
I am not LDS
I am not a resident of UTAH[I live in Las Vegas]
I DO visit there a lot.
I DO associate with a large number of LDS/MORMONs
I DO have several LDS people working for me [in the gaming industry]

I find that LDS/MORMON people are absolutely no differant that any other people. You take em as they come.

Old 10-01-2007, 06:31 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,368,418 times
Well, thought I would add my $.02. My husband and I are not LDS (and in fact, not religious)

I moved to Logan two months ago after living in a very diverse city neighborhood in DC.Moving to Utah was a great decision. I love outdoor activities, and it is beautiful here!

scenery
outdoor activities

That being said, after reading comments posted on the local newspapers on-line discussions, I am shocked and appalled at the racist comments. Also, I have olive skin, and have been told on several occasions in stores and other places how brown I am. Yes, they actually told me that I was really brown. I have never had my skin color commented on before (OK, there was one time in a bar in DC when some guy asked me what my mix was, but other than that nothing)

The job market here is difficult. I have had a hard time finding a job, and in the few interviews I have had, they have decided for me that I have a lot of experience, and would not want such junior positions. There just are not that many jobs here in my field and that meet my established career interests, and it has been extremely difficult to find a job.

I also had a hard time initially getting used to driving everywhere! I use to walk to work and the grocery, and now I basically have to drive. Not a bad thing, it was just an adjustment for me.

Old 10-01-2007, 06:40 PM

41 posts, read 172,302 times
We moved from So. California about 1 1/2 years ago, the things I dont like:

The drivers, they are very inconsiderate.
Smog, I was amazed at how smoggy it can be during the winter.
Windy and Dry, I guess its the desert so I should have known.

If I had to do it again, I wouldn't move to Utah. I miss being close to the ocean and would probably move to the Pacific Northwest.

Old 10-02-2007, 02:39 AM

396 posts, read 1,272,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerone View Post
We moved from So. California about 1 1/2 years ago, the things I dont like:

The drivers, they are very inconsiderate.
Smog, I was amazed at how smoggy it can be during the winter.
Windy and Dry, I guess its the desert so I should have known.

If I had to do it again, I wouldn't move to Utah. I miss being close to the ocean and would probably move to the Pacific Northwest.
Wait, you moved from Southern California and you complained about it being windy and dry?

Where the hell in Southern California did you live? Because the Southern California I know is very windy and dry.

Old 10-02-2007, 11:53 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,249,720 times
Bob, the only windy and dry places I knew in SoCal were the deserts..I grew up in SoCal and never found the places we lived windy or dry... this is really, really dry here...Even the furniture is crying out for moisture!

Old 10-03-2007, 01:40 AM

396 posts, read 1,272,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
Bob, the only windy and dry places I knew in SoCal were the deserts..I grew up in SoCal and never found the places we lived windy or dry... this is really, really dry here...Even the furniture is crying out for moisture!
Oh, you live in St. George. I could see where you're coming from then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
View detailed profiles of: