Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 09:13 AM

7 posts, read 18,197 times

Advertisements

Hello

I have a few questions and was hoping I could find some answers here.

I have a master's degree in education and I am looking to re-locate. I have been looking all over the country (literally) for a teaching job or any job in education (at the University level or even in private school admissions) and Utah seems to be a state that just keeps drawing my attention.

Now, a little info about us. We are a young (mid 20s) un-married couple with a 17 month old son and we do plan on getting married and eventually having more children. We were both born and raised in New Jersey. My SO has lived here most of his life except for a year that was spent in Georgia and I spent four years in Alabama for college. He is in manual labor (construction and the like) and we are hoping to move somewhere where finding a job for him won't be impossible. We are both non-churchgoing Catholics but when we move we'd like to establish roots and start attending a church if possible. We would prefer an area that has parks within walking distance and fun stuff to do as a family.

I have some possible opportunities in these areas and I would appreciate feedback from anyone with experience:

Morgan County - I don't mind being in the minority religiously but I don't want my child to have a hard time, either. I read on Wikipedia (I know, I know) that they have the highest LDS population out of any county in Utah. I am also imagining that Morgan County is pretty rural and I would prefer something a little more 'city-like.' What areas would you reccommend that are feasible for commuting that fit the bill?

Now, on the total opposite end of the state, I have some questions about Cedar City. I know that Cedar City is pretty close to St. George but which is preferable? I know SUU is there and I like the idea of living in a college town so for me that would probably win, but I am open to suggestions.

What about neighborhoods in SLC and suburbs around SLC? I would prefer to be as close to the city as possible if living in a suburb but I am open to anything that's within commuting distance.

This was a little scatter-brained, so I apologize, I am just trying to get my thoughts out! Thanks in advance for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 09:26 AM

27,995 posts, read 29,823,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamsMama View Post
Hello

I have a few questions and was hoping I could find some answers here.

I have a master's degree in education and I am looking to re-locate. I have been looking all over the country (literally) for a teaching job or any job in education (at the University level or even in private school admissions) and Utah seems to be a state that just keeps drawing my attention.

Now, a little info about us. We are a young (mid 20s) un-married couple with a 17 month old son and we do plan on getting married and eventually having more children. We were both born and raised in New Jersey. My SO has lived here most of his life except for a year that was spent in Georgia and I spent four years in Alabama for college. He is in manual labor (construction and the like) and we are hoping to move somewhere where finding a job for him won't be impossible. We are both non-churchgoing Catholics but when we move we'd like to establish roots and start attending a church if possible. We would prefer an area that has parks within walking distance and fun stuff to do as a family.

I have some possible opportunities in these areas and I would appreciate feedback from anyone with experience:

Morgan County - I don't mind being in the minority religiously but I don't want my child to have a hard time, either. I read on Wikipedia (I know, I know) that they have the highest LDS population out of any county in Utah. I am also imagining that Morgan County is pretty rural and I would prefer something a little more 'city-like.' What areas would you reccommend that are feasible for commuting that fit the bill?

Now, on the total opposite end of the state, I have some questions about Cedar City. I know that Cedar City is pretty close to St. George but which is preferable? I know SUU is there and I like the idea of living in a college town so for me that would probably win, but I am open to suggestions.

What about neighborhoods in SLC and suburbs around SLC? I would prefer to be as close to the city as possible if living in a suburb but I am open to anything that's within commuting distance.

This was a little scatter-brained, so I apologize, I am just trying to get my thoughts out! Thanks in advance for any advice!
Morning, Mama. If I were you, I'd stick to the Salt Lake metro area. Areas that you might like are the Avenues, 9th & 9th, 15th & 15th, the areas immediately adjacent to the University of Utah or Westminster College, and Sugarhouse. Have you visited Salt Lake City yet?

Old 07-05-2012, 09:51 AM

Not yet. We are planning on visiting within the next month or so, though. Any specific areas you would recommend for us to visit?

Old 07-05-2012, 11:09 AM

5,118 posts, read 16,570,442 times
Don't know anything about Morgan county. St. George gets extremely hot during the summer. Might make it miserable for your DH to work in construction. But I think construction is picking up in that area.

I am a non-church going Catholic too. But I have no interest in going to church. Perhaps you could contact a few churches and they could guide you as to which area might be a good fit for you and your family's needs for housing, employment, and mass.

I would say that you and your DH's employement should guide your decision on where to live in Utah.

Utah is very family friendly/oriented. I think there are ample parks for you to enjoy.

I hope you enjoy your visit and it all works out for you and your family.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:15 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,704,038 times
Your budget will also dictate where you live. We usually recommend renting for a year to get the feel of a city. The areas KAtzpur mentioned are mostly walkable. The city isn't like eastern cities, no brownstones, no blocks of high-rise apartments (except for the new glitzy City Center), really a small central area with offices. I am in leafy green Sugar House and I am about 15 min. from downtown.

The local spot to find rentals is www.ksltv.com, in their classifieds section.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:37 PM

Thanks, SouthernBelle.

We definitely would not be able to purchase within the first year but I would like for us to rent in the area where we plan on purchasing.

Thanks for the great advice, everyone!

Old 07-05-2012, 06:49 PM

617 posts, read 2,818,313 times
There is a big difference between cedar city and saint George as far as the climate goes. Cedar City is much more temperate and gets more snow in the winter. St George is really really hot in the summer.

As for the county you mentioned. It has the highest number of mormons, but it is also a really small county, not many people there at all.

I think you would be happier in a more diverse area of Utah, and that would be the Salt Lake City and surrounding suburbs. I would check out Sugarhouse, Millcreek, East Millcreek, and the Avenues as people mentioned above. I'm going to be honest with you though.... you will be happy in the Salt Lake Valley, even if you choose a more conservative city like Sandy. It's a really nice place to live, and there are plenty of churches aside from the LDS church to choose from.

Enjoy your visit. I think if you wanted to see how diverse Utah is, basically fly into Las Vegas, rent a car, and drive up the 1-15 until you get to Salt Lake. It's really pretty, and you will see how the landscape and temperature changes as you go, especially if you stop in certain landmark towns such as St George, Cedar City, Beaver, Nephi, Provo, and Salt Lake City.

Utah is so diverse, it's a beautiful state. Ranges from red rock, desert and palm trees, to high picturesque mountains with gorgeous pine forests. It's stunning, and has a better economy than a lot of states in the U.S. Construction is starting to pick up again in the SLC area.

Good luck on your trip and in your search for a place to move.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:40 AM

600 posts, read 1,929,632 times
Consider Brigham City, North Ogden or South Ogden.

Old 07-13-2012, 04:56 AM

1 posts, read 3,290 times
Default Looking to move to Utah too.

I am a Latin single parent woman with two special need kids.
I am looking to move to Utah, perhaps purchase a home there.
Frankly I am not sure how well me and my kids will fit there in Utah.
I am not sure how people there will feel about us being that I am a single parent, Latin an have two kids that have been diagnosed with autism.
I don't want to make a big mistake, as I will be moving there alone with the kids and I have no family already living there in Utah.
Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:41 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,704,038 times
There are a lot of autistic kids in the SLC valley. There is even a private school that specializes in it. Outside of Salt Lake City and its environs, I don't know. We also have a sizeable Latino population in the city as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah