U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 09:18 AM

4 posts, read 9,812 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking to move to Utah and have narrowed the area down to Cedar City or Provo/Orem. We have a 2 yr old daughter and plan to have another baby very soon. We want to get out of California and get somewhere that is good for the family as a whole. We are very much into outdooor activities (Hunting, hiking, fishing, camping) and enjoy a good small town feel, even if it were in a city.

I am looking for input and comparison between the two areas. Any and all help is much appreciated. Thank you!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 10:17 AM

11 posts, read 36,316 times
Both areas will satisfy the desire to experience the outdoors...endless opportunities abound at each location. I would spend a couple of weeks in each area and make a pros and cons list for each and go from there as there is no substitute for your own experience. For me, a top consideration for a growing family with young children is employment and health care insurance. In Cedar wages tend to be very low and insurance tends not to be offered. Provo/Orem may be better in that regard. I have kids just out of college and that has been their experience in those exact cities. What are your skills/education/experience?

(As a side point, I am just an old cowboy with cowboy logic but this is how I see it. For decades I have hired many folks from California. Some lasted only several days and some lasted many years. Invariably, the ones that lasted a short period were the ones that stated they "wanted out of California and could not take it there anymore". It seems they were looking for a geographical cure/solution for their problems/worries and the real solution needed to be found from within.)

Last edited by Kane County; 07-13-2012 at 10:23 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 07-13-2012, 10:30 AM

4 posts, read 9,812 times
Thanks for the insight. I currently for the government as a Journeyman Electronics Technician with some IT background and certifications. California simply does not suit my families needs politically or economically. We live in a small town in the middle of the desert so I wouldn't exactly consider ourselves the typical "Californian's" like everyone in a conservative area tends to dread. I am looking to get away from being taxed beyond belief, having someone else's foul beliefs shoved in my children's faces in the public school district and basically looking for a place where I really feel at home. I have been through Utah several times, some just driving through and others staying for days at a time, so I know geographically, it is beautiful, but the politics and family environment are what really pull me more and more towards Utah every day.

And the whole "Mormom thing" doesn't bug me one bit. I grew up going to the LDS church, but have since stopped going. It wasn't because of the people, just a personal choice. I have had many friends who were LDS and many who aren't. I am not going to judge a person by what their religious beliefs are, so I expect the same in return and I have never been treated strangly by the LDS community around my town for my views. I actually am still very close to many high ranking members of the church and keep in touch with friends who have moved away to Utah or elsewhere.

Mainly, I'm just looking to provide the best life for my family that I possibly can and I believe that it just may be in Utah somwhere...

Old 07-13-2012, 12:13 PM

11 posts, read 36,316 times
It sounds like you have a balanced approach and that along with your research will get you the results you are after. With the added information about what you are looking for for your family I think you have identified two cities that maybe the right fit.

Sorry, I can't offer much help job wise as I don't know that industry at all.

Old 07-14-2012, 05:41 PM

617 posts, read 2,711,110 times
If I had to choose, I would pick Provo over Cedar City. I feel like there are more job opportunities in Provo compared to Cedar City. Cedar City does not pay as much as Provo. I agree with Kane County above as well... often jobs in Cedar don't offer insurance, or the insurance they offer is very expensive and you spend a good portion of your paycheck paying for it.

Since you are open and feel comfortable around the LDS lifestyle, I definitely think that it would suit you.

Good luck in your choice! I was born and raised in So. Cal, and I wouldn't live there if someone paid me, so I understand your frustration with the place.

Old 11-06-2012, 03:08 PM

22 posts, read 107,986 times
I think both areas are great with similar weather (although more winter sunshine in Cedar). I think the decision mainly comes down to your preference of smaller town vs. medium sized town and job opportunities. I would really consider the Provo area a large town as it is within an hour of Salt Lake.

The Provo area will have many more job options but is growing quickly and has a lot more traffic to contend with. I spent a few hours in Provo this summer passing through and did like the new mall they have there and the river trails and nearby activities are neat. I like the small town college vibe in downtown Cedar and the mountains nearby are awesome. Cedar does have a creek going through town and there are some nice parks/trails on it. And if you want to warm up in the winter time, Cedar is only 45 minutes from St. George and an hour from Zion.

Another consideration is how much air travel you do. Provo will be much more convenient to get to a major airport although Cedar City does offer commuter flights to Salt Lake. Good luck!

Old 11-11-2012, 11:55 AM

281 posts, read 1,141,160 times
You work for the government as a journeyman electronic technician? It would help if you were more specific. Which government? What did you do? I live near Cedar and my two cents would be to move to the largest population area you can. There is nothing "high tech" about Cedar City. It's pretty much a 'freeway' town with a lot of fast food places and gas stations. Think of it as a larger Baker, CA. Don't know much about Provo but at least the job opportunities are much greater just due to the population. On another note. I read all the posts responding to yours and I didn't refer to any 'Mormon thing' except yours.

Old 11-11-2012, 11:57 AM

281 posts, read 1,141,160 times
Allow me to correct the last sentance in my last post. It should have read, I read all the posts responding to yours and I didn't see anyone refer to any 'Mormon thing' except yours.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:21 PM

15 posts, read 44,354 times
Provo definitely does have a more diverse economy than Cedar City, which is small by comparison. Also, Southern Utah can be brutally hot in the summer, which can actually put a damper on regular outdoor excursions, especially with kiddies in tow. But maybe I'm just prejudiced toward Northern Utah ;D

Southern Utah does have amazing national parks, though. Zions, Canyonlands, Arches -- you could hike the rest of your life and not really explore everything SU has to offer.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:34 AM

1 posts, read 2,687 times
Default Cedar City is the Best

Provo vs Cedar? Easy choice for me. Charter School Gateway Academy and the Community center are awesome. I plan to move to Cedar as soon as we find the right house with a big shop :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>