Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 05:50 PM

139 posts, read 530,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
You may want to try some place like Missouri if you can only spend $130,000 or a little higher.
A year ago a friend of mine moved down there and bought a huge house for $75,000 with several acres. They love it.
I just got back from Missouri, and it is true: there are some inexpensive properties, in a great state. However, they don't call it METHouri for nothing.
Regarding Utah, and the illegals, they are being squeezed here in Arizona, and a lot of them are on their way to Oregon, Utah, and New Mexico, where they are loved so much apparently that they are going to give them driver's licenses, no questions asked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2007, 05:54 PM

139 posts, read 530,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golightlygirl View Post
I grew up in Indiana. I now live in Saint George. This place is great as long as you have a sense of humor. Theres lots to do here, especially with Vegas and Mesquite down the road. There are a lot of cultural events, art galleries and good restaurants. The shopping is lame, but not as bad as everyone makes out. It does get hot here, but with the low humidity I find it tolerable. Lots of beautiful views and vistas. Although some on this site have complained about the LDS church, (this is when you need humor) I have found them to be good neighbors and nice people. It is a different feel here though because of the church. But if you focus on that, you miss the beauty that surrounds you. I too recommend visiting here before deciding on a move. As far as crime, I leave my keys in the car at most places and we hardly ever lock our doors. Good luck!
I used to have a sense of humor, but I lost it in St. George.

Old 10-13-2007, 06:52 PM

3 posts, read 8,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazcrew View Post
Medical plans: will you be getting medical through an employer? If so, you're pretty well stuck with what they offer you. If you're looking for private medical, try IHC/SelectMed, Blue Cross/Blue Shield, or Cigna. There are others too, but those are the only ones I can think of at the moment.

I prefer east of I-15, but in Kaysville, I don't know if it makes a difference. It probably does, since it seems to everywhere else along the Wasatch Front. Just check out the neighborhood and its schools, churches, parks, traffic, etc. before you buy.

I agree that while our traffic has gotten much, much worse the last few years, its nothing compared to southern California. Let's hope it stays that way!

My house faces north, and I hate the way the snow and ice never melt off my driveway. We have to shovel immediately, and before driving on it, or else it gets packed down and we'll have icy tire tracks for weeks after a storm, while everyone else's driveways are clear and dry and have been since the day after the storm. But if you find the perfect house for you, and it happens to be north-facing, don't let that stop you. Just be aware that you'll have an icy driveway sometimes.

For sun, I think it depends on your lifestyle. Are you an avid gardener? You'll need the south/west sun for a vegetable garden or for most flowers. If you don't really care about gardening, then it probably doesn't matter where your flower beds are.

We're back-yard people, so my perfect house would face west. That way the deck/patio would be in the shade in the afternoon and evening, plus I assume I could watch the sunrise from the deck, too, if I were ever awake that early, which I'm not. And I could have sun-loving, showy flowers in front of my house. The western sun would make the front porch really hot, though, so if you think you'll use the porch more than the patio, then don't face west.
Thanks for the reply. We face east here in the San Diego area. That may be the way to go as my wife like to sit out back in the afternoon/evening and that would give her the sun.

What about hospitals - locations - at my age I don't want to be too far from one just in case.

Thanks again,

Earl

Old 10-14-2007, 10:15 AM

618 posts, read 1,610,295 times
sooo what's northern Utah like?

Old 10-14-2007, 06:12 PM

421 posts, read 1,740,794 times
I'm sorry, I have no idea what hospitals are in the Kaysville area. Maybe someone else is more familiar with that area. One warning on the sun, though; in the summer it is regularly in the high 90s, and sometimes the 100s. So it really will be hot on your patio unless you have some sort of shade trees or something. But as everyone is fond of saying, at least it's a dry heat, lol.

Old 10-14-2007, 06:33 PM

46 posts, read 234,266 times
Check out the city-data page for Logan. Home to Utah State university, the land grant college for utah it has the lowest crime rate in the country for a community its size. this is from the FBI report on crime stats. However I must note that this is the first year Logan has been included on the report due to growth. Logan has a mall which is comparable to St. George's. Another dynamic about Utah is that most of the larger communities should be called metro areas. Take Layton for example, there is nothing to distinguish a city boundray from Farmington to Plain City except a line drawn on a map. the major roads are continuous and the communities have grown intertwined. Salt Lake for example is not a very large city but what most outsiders concider to be Salt Lake runs from Salt Lake to Draper and out to Manga And down to South Jordan. When thought of in this way Utah really only has Five large Metro areas. From the south you have St. George, Provo, Salt Lake, Ogden/Layton, and Cache Valley(Logan). Other towns of size are Price, Cedar City, Richfield, Nephi, and Brigham. Brigham might fit your search criteria, look into that one as well. If you would like more info on Logan, Brigham or Ogden just PM me and I would be glad to answer any questions.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:29 AM

8 posts, read 31,525 times
Just outside of St george there are many great places, small towns, or even Cedar City

Old 10-16-2007, 02:13 PM

618 posts, read 1,610,295 times
Yes, my family is still undecided on whether we would like to move to Idaho or northern Utah. Right now, southern/middle Utah is out of the questions, because we don't want to be too close to Las Vegas because of the crime. Are there factories is Utah? Where at?

Old 10-16-2007, 03:34 PM

8 posts, read 31,525 times
Default st george

utah is low crime even St.George which is as close to Vegas as you can get..

but if northern is your choice, then you will see more snow

Old 10-20-2007, 01:14 PM

1 posts, read 3,161 times
Default Move to UTAH???

Why would you want to do that?????
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldpolkadots View Post
Hello
For the past year or so, my family and I have been preparing to move to a new state. We currently live in northern Indiana and cannot stand living in this horrible location any longer.

Because we have never traveled out west, I was hoping someone might recommend a town, or at least a general area of Utah that might suit our needs and wants. Some things we are looking for include:
-low crime
-low humidity (below 40%)
-not too much snow
-no really severe weather (F3-F5 tornado, huge snowstorms)
-near a college & elementary school
-no flooding
-possibly a nice small town near a big town
-shopping centers

I know this is a lot to ask for, but we were wondering if there is any area in Utah that meets all/most/some of these things.

Any feedback as to nice places to live in Utah or even places to stay away from is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah