Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 11:13 PM

23 posts, read 63,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostidaho View Post
Greetings from rural northern Cache Valley!

Believe it or not, we just bought a place in central IN this week and can't wait to leave UT in December. To contrast housing prices, my one bedroom old farmhouse on 2.25 ac in UT will sell for at least $50,000 more than the 3 bedroom old farmhouse on 5 acres I just purchased in IN. I seriously doubt you'll get much of a house up here for $130,000.

Moreover, no one on this forum has even mentioned the air pollution/inversions which grip this valley. Not only do we have them in the winter, we are now starting to have them in the summer. Just today the air was thick with smoke from burning fields, mixed with the orange haze from vehicles which hangs over Logan. Come January and February, the elementary schools will start keeping kids indoors because the air is so unhealthy.

It does make for some beautiful sunsets, however.

Meth is a bigger problem in rural areas like where we live. It apparently is a favorite of lower income young moms - yes, mostly LDS - who feel intense pressure to be perfect. So they take meth to stay up late to do crafts and housework, lose weight after the 5th kid in seven years, have energy to work two or three mcjobs. True story: The little market in my town was shut down this past spring because the 20-something manager was addicted to meth and kept ripping off the store. The saddest part is that the store is owned by his family. And I believe that is why our official statistics about crime look so good in Cache Valley: no one wants to rat on a family/ward member. It's all very hush-hush.

Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention: jobs pay about 30% less here than the national average. The Wasatch Front is closer/in parity.

On the bright side, Logan has the best and most diverse schools in the valley. Try to get your kids in there. You can also get pretty solid educations at Utah State and the U of U for dirt cheap. Yeah, yeah, the tuition goes up every year but compared to other states, it's a real bargain. BTW, it takes two years to gain 'in-state' status, thanks to our rather xenophobic legislature.
Good luck in IN, I have been there many times and there is not enough cheep housing to attract me, in other words, why do you think your property was so cheep... think about it???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 10:44 PM

33 posts, read 181,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo2 View Post
Good luck in IN, I have been there many times and there is not enough cheep housing to attract me, in other words, why do you think your property was so cheep... think about it???
The quote of the day.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,075 times
Smile I also Need HELP

I am a 55 yr old Health Tech for the VA in Milwaukee, WI
My husband has been offered a great job in UTAH, so I am trying to get information about the area, we have NO children that will be coming with us, I can NOT remember the name of the town, but it is a SMALL town about 35 miles outside of Salt Lake City, so please can ANYONE help, please tell me about the area. While I am NERVOUS I feel that I may be reaching my dream of living in a small town with a REAL western country life. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by phoyt; 01-12-2012 at 06:49 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 01-12-2012, 07:12 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
The VA here in SLC is pretty good. Without knowing the name of the town, it's kind of hard to say anything much.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:50 PM

23 posts, read 63,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoyt View Post
My husband has been offered a great job in UTAH, so I am trying to get information about the area, we have NO children that will be coming with us, I can NOT remember the name of the town, but it is a SMALL town about 35 miles outside of Salt Lake City, so please can ANYONE help, please tell me about the area. While I am NERVOUS I feel that I may be reaching my dream of living in a small town with a REAL western country life. Thanks in advance.
I wish I knew which town, please send asap, this will help me help you. I also live in a small town, but I have found that some people think Provo, Ut. is a small town too. For us, going to Porvo is going to the big city up north, lol.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:34 AM

5,120 posts, read 16,595,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoyt View Post
Any idea as to what direction from Salt Lake? I'll try guessing. North: Ogden, Layton, Kaysville, Farmington, Centerville....South: Saratoga Springs, Alpine.....West: Tooele, Grantsville.......East: Park City. Don't know what you consider a SMALL town so there are my guesses.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:09 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,450,308 times
If you're from Milwaukee - EVERY city in Utah will be small in comparison.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:50 AM

1 posts, read 949 times
Would like to move to the Grantsville area,I'm in Atlanta,Ga. I like small towns and where i'm at now is
a bit too much for me.I'm a single black male in my middle 50's,need to know about the job market there.I'm in warehousing and trying to get away from all of this killing,and haterd that's down here in georgia. I'm not used to all the mess that's here,I'm ready for a change and this will be my last move.
Can you help?

Old 04-07-2012, 11:47 AM

2,502 posts, read 6,972,575 times
I live in Tooele County, but not Grantsville itself. The job market is eh...You would probably have better luck getting into warehousing rather than a white collar job however. There is a Walmart Distribution Center on the outskirts of Grantsville. You might be able to get in there. I have heard the pay is pretty good. Other than that, finding work in Salt Lake would be your best bet. Not really a big deal though. It is only about a 30 minute drive from Grantsville to most areas of SL. If you are able to get your CDL license that might help procuring a job, too. Good luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah