Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 01:35 AM

1 posts, read 20,430 times

Advertisements

I am considering a job in Logan, Utah. I'm a non-mormon, single woman in my 30s. I have a lot of single friends who love living in SLC -- but Logan is a bit too far to commute on a regular basis. I'm just a little worried that Logan may be a bit too small for me to have much of a social life.

Ideas? Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 09:50 AM

1,821 posts, read 7,708,705 times
well you could live in Brigham City or Ogden and then be midway between both locales. The canyon to Logan can get tricky, though.

Old 10-25-2007, 10:30 AM

46 posts, read 233,204 times
Need more information on what your interests are to give you much help. If club hopping is your single scene, Logan is probably not for you. There are only a couple of beer bars and the only real club is the Eagles. There is a non-alcholic dance club open on the weekends. However many of the restraunts have full bars.
If meeting single people to enjoy the outdoors, climb, bicycle, cook, taste wine, barbeque, see a movie with, take photos, swim, go boating, float a river, suntan at the park, crochet, visit a museum, jog, is your thing then Logan has what you are after.
Let us know what your into and we can give you a more accurate response as to whether Logan will satisfy you.

Old 10-25-2007, 11:59 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,366,752 times
Logan is AWESOME for outdoors activities. I just moved here almost 3 months ago, and I am loving it! I am also recently married though, so cannot quite comment on the single bit.

I can honestly say though, I don't know that I would want to live here as a single person. It is pretty suburban, and lots of married families with kids. Not much of a nightlife. I think only one "club" here serves hard alcohol, and it was not recommended as a bar. There are also limited bars. There does seem to be a decent arts scene here, with two theaters.

If you do not like the outdoors you will be bored here, unless you are pretty good at finding things to do. The movie theaters suck here, and the shopping is horrific. I am glad that I was able to build up a decent clothes wardrobe before I moved, because the shopping options are seriously terrifying. Thank God that SLC is only 1.5 hours away.

There are a surprisingly diverse selection of restaurants. I sort of expected a whole bunch of chains, but I was pleasantly surprised. There is a fantastic Sushi restaurant on 55 west 1000 N, A decent Thai place, good Indian food, a amazingly good Italian Restaurant (Le Nonne), and many many Mexican restaurants to choose from.

If you can stay with a friend, it would not be horrible to drive down to SLC for a night out.

Logan is definitely very conservative. and very white. It freaked me out a bit when I first moved here. Definitely reverse culture shock for me. I have talked to some nice people, but also some very judgemental people. I took some crap job at one of the local call centers, and some of the people would sit around whispering, and would not talk to me because I talked about having a drink, or said "oh my God!".

Old 10-27-2007, 10:41 PM

14 posts, read 76,616 times
Yikes - I MUST reply before another woman's heart is broken!

I've lived here since my early 30s - part of the university community - and I can assure you that it is very, very difficult to find a partner here if you are not LDS. I'm married but have many single girlfriends who came here at about the same age. They're in their 40s and 50s now, resigned to a life alone . . . or continually looking outside the valley.

You'll have lots of interest at first, however, from single non-LDS guys since the pool's so tiny. Indeed, after a few years, you'll get to know all of them by name and reputation (watch out for the restaurant owner who has a hobby of 'bedding and bragging' every new single woman). Match.com is popular here.

If you do come up here, try joining one of the wine or dinner clubs to meet people. Bridgerland Audubon is also a single guys' hangout.

Old 07-31-2010, 01:38 AM

66 posts, read 279,849 times
Default How is Logan?

WOW!!! The woman that started this forum shared a personal experience and got a lot of "non-mormon" grief for it..do I dare ask something? I am wondering how lds utah state university is, and I sure as Moderator cut: rude don't want to go there if the kind of indoctrination crap people on this forum have talked about(also known as harassment) takes place there. Cycle, I can see why you are so frustrated! Half of the people on this forum made you feel like you were comitting a sin(yeah they probably believe that too) by sharing your experiences..I think I remember somewhere in there someone actually said something along the lines of,"what did you expect?" Since when should ANYONE expect being treated this way, ANYWHERE. I come from a mixed back-ground. My mother is Lutheran and my dad is buddhist/Sikh. So I have a lot of experience with learning to fit in. But I definitely still get asked lots of wierd questions and would probably be seen as the result of a heathen relationship over there..or is it gentile?. I have know some nice mormons in my life, but after hearing not only about your experience and some other people's I am disappointed. I want to attend Utah state because of the beautiful area surrounding it, and the music therapy program, but not if I'm going to be harassed all the time. This is why I have a problem with organized religion. In the end it's just a cult and usually outsiders(free thinkers) are labeled as dangerous... cycle, I hope things are better for you.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 08-11-2010 at 12:47 PM..

Old 07-31-2010, 05:27 PM

121 posts, read 346,325 times
Utah State has a strong Mormon presence. Logan was settled by Mormons and the Mormon influence has always been so strong there that one of the first Mormon temples was built there and is still in operation today. Utah State was founded by Mormons as well. It isn't as bad as BYU, where the Honor Code requires you to live by Mormon standards and the buildings were named after past prominent Mormons, but there is a huge institute of religion there and several student wards.

The potential problem I see is that you seem to be already starting out on the wrong foot. You're already using words like cult, outsiders, free thinkers, and dangerous. Not to mention indoctrination and harassment. The implication is that I, as a Mormon, am a member of a cult (probably means I have been brainwashed and deceived and can't think for myself.) You, as an outsider, are a free thinker (implication: mentally and idealogically superior) that I might label as dangerous. That if I were to meet you in the halls of the university, I might harass you and try to indoctrinate you.

If you are really thinking about maybe moving to a place where you would be surrounded by Mormons, perhaps you should practice framing your ideas in a little bit less offensive manner.

I expect that the more likely issues would be those Mormons who wouldn't date you because of religious differences, and less friends you would have because you didn't attend their social activities. There would be other classmates who would date you, and you could probably still find plenty of friends, but if these would be big issues to you, maybe you should consider Arizona.

Other than that, in actuality you would probably find more in common with your classmates than differences. Lots of Mormons love Music and Therapy, and beautiful mountains.

Old 07-31-2010, 05:50 PM

sorry if I offended you. I am certainly not superior to you and maybe what I said was a little harsh with my wording so I apologize. I said free-thinker and probably should have clarified my thought. I was not saying that anyone who follows a religion doesn't think for themselves, but rather tends to see things from a limited perspective based on traditions passed down through the years. I am not saying that is a bad thing but you have to admit a lot of religions tend to discriminate until a person has either converted or adopted some of their beliefs! This goes for a number of religions, not just mormons, and some have a lot to offer the world, too. I am not on here to preach anti-religion, just get some opinions and hear about experiences. Yes, I know mormons are not all bad people - there are bad and good people everywhere and you seem like you might be a nice person. Do you know anything about music therapy or usu's program?

Last edited by lilacdeming; 07-31-2010 at 06:02 PM..

Old 07-31-2010, 06:10 PM

I really am sorry if I offended anyone and don't want to start out on the wrong foot! Utah is beautiful and I am hoping to visit sometime this fall. Anyone have suggestions on when the best time to visit?

Old 07-31-2010, 07:05 PM

121 posts, read 346,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilacdeming View Post
I was not saying that anyone who follows a religion doesn't think for themselves, but rather tends to see things from a limited perspective based on traditions passed down through the years. I am not saying that is a bad thing but you have to admit a lot of religions tend to discriminate until a person has either converted or adopted some of their beliefs!
No offense taken, but again you're using buzzwords with pejorative connotations. Why do you think I see things from a limited perspective? Isn't it possible that I have read and studied widely, and maybe even have a broad perspective? Certainly everyone bases their perspective on traditions passed down, whether it be through the years, or just from parents, but also everyone evaluates that perspective and broadens it every year as they learn and grow and experience new things. Judging everyone who follows a religion as someone with limited perspective shows a limited perspective.

The issue of discrimination is an unfortunate human tendency. Most religions teach against it. Certainly Lutherans and Buddhists. And Mormons. But some of it goes on anyway. It's worse when there are children involved. I personally think it's mostly unintended, and a result of people naturally having more in common with folks they hang out with more.

If you're walking down the hall and two guys are walking toward you waving at you, which one do you say "Hi" to first? The one you haven't seen since last Thursday, or the one who was just playing water balloon volleyball and eating banana splits with you at FHE last night?

There is a legitimate tendency for parents to try to protect their children from "bad influences", which is probably worse in the Mormon culture due to stricter moral codes. If you do drugs or smoke or drink or are promiscuous, expect some resistance from parents of potential friends. Other than that, if you are in college, you're big enough to handle your own "bad influences" and select your own friends.

Personally, I think the best time to visit Logan is in the Fall when the Quaking Aspen leaves are golden. If you can schedule in some time to take a hike up in the High Uintah mountains, you might decide to hang around no matter how much indoctrination you get.

Sorry I don't know much about the Music Therapy program at USU. I do know their Agriculture department is top notch, and their Computer Science facilities were decent when I was there. That was a long time ago, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah