Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 11:11 AM

5 posts, read 31,747 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Davis county Utah (my husband will be working in Clearfield) and we're trying to decide where to live. I have learned that some of the elementary schools in Davis county are year-round, which I don't like. I would prefer a traditional school calendar but also want a good school. I would consider a private or charter school (I don't know much about charter schools or if we could get into one since we're moving in the middle of the school year). If anyone has any experiences/recommendations/commentary about the elementary schools in the Davis county area, I would totally appreciate it!!! I can't look for a house till I know more about the schools up there! Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2007, 10:53 PM

6 posts, read 32,516 times
Davis School District as a whole is top notch, however some cities are better than others. My children attend Kaysville Elementary in Kaysville and we love it. Burton Elementary (also in Kaysville) is excellent as well and has special programs for gifted students. Personally I would not recommend the school systems directly in Clearfield or surrounding areas (from client feedback not personal experience). However I have heard rave reviews from the schools in Farmington as well. Alot of the newer areas like Syracuse, parts of Layton etc. where there has been so much new growth/new schools I've heard they are working out alot of kinks/brand new teacher issues, etc., so I'd steer clear of them as well. I'd love to help you narrow your search for a home/school district if you need any assistance. Best wishes!

Last edited by J.T.; 11-02-2007 at 11:19 PM..

Old 11-05-2007, 01:39 PM

132 posts, read 687,395 times
Default Davis School District

Hopefully parents w/kids in this area will be able to tell you their favorites.

For extra info., here's the Davis School District website and helpful links from there.

Davis School District Home Page

Q & A about their year-round scheduling(track school):

http://www.davis.k12.ut.us/schools/heritage/files/65669CFD58F346DD96A55F06755F990A.pdf (broken link)

List of websites for each school in Davis Cty.:
Davis District Schools (http://www.davis.k12.ut.us/home/schools.html - broken link)

Hope that helps some.

Old 11-05-2007, 03:19 PM

Post Private Schools in Davis County

Here's some lists of private & charter schools in the area. Sure hope this helps those looking to move here, so you can research Utah's lists to find what's best for your own families. Enjoy!

Directory - Utah Charter Schools (http://www.schools.utah.gov/charterschools/directory.htm - broken link)

Davis County Private Schools - Utah/UT - Private School Review

Private Schools in Utah

I've also heard some Davis Cty. Christian families talking about how they like these Christian schools for their kids:

Christian Heritage School-Main
(In Weber Cty, just north of Davis)

Welcome to Layton Christian Academy (http://www.lcaeagle.org/cgi-bin/WebObjects/View.woa - broken link)
(North Davis Cty.)

Lots of choices for each family's own preferences.

Old 11-07-2007, 12:23 PM

Default bumping up

Bumping this thread up since I see a few threads where people are asking about schools in Davis Cty. Tho' I'm sure they especially want local Utahns to give them their own advice on how they personally feel about schools in the area.

Hope people here are able to help answer their questions.

Old 11-09-2007, 10:29 AM

111 posts, read 625,780 times
Hi TP-

We moved to UT from CA the beginning of Aug. and live in Bountiful. Not sure how it is in other Davis County areas but the public schools here are NOT year-round.

Currently my daughter (4th grade) goes to Legacy Prep Academy (Charter School) in North Salt Lake and she loves it. I'm really happy with it too. My son, who didn't get into Legacy (not enough room for 1st graders this year) goes to Orchard Elementary and he LOVES it too!

It's funny though...all of the kids in our neighborhood go to different schools (not just one school like in CA). Some go to private, some go to the charter, some go to this elementary, some go to that elementary.

Good luck!

Old 05-08-2008, 02:08 PM

3 posts, read 49,574 times
bump for more recommendations

Old 05-08-2008, 04:21 PM

222 posts, read 877,456 times
If you do end up in Syracuse, Bluff Ridge elementary won an award a couple of years ago about being one of the top in the state or nation (can't remember). My daughter goes to Syracuse elementary and it seems to be good. There was a new principal this year so I think there was a little bit of an adjustment on her end, although we weren't here for the old principal. The school recognized my daughter as being advanced in the reading subjects so she takes part in little sub groups to develop and challenge her more in those areas. We have only been here a year and I wasn't sure about year round either. It has been fine. I still like traditional better but my daughter is on B track (one of the least requested ) and as a whole it has worked out. I have not heard any of my neighbors be dissatisfied with the school or teachers.

It does seem like kids go everywhere. In our neighborhood we have some kids that transferred to Bluff Ridge elementary, some are going to the charter school - Syracuse Arts Academy (lottery), and some go to the Layton Christian Academy. People have different reasons for going. Some like the traditional schedule the charter and christian academy offer. Some might have lived in a different area of Syracuse originally and decided to keep their kids in the same school. The principal at Syracuse Junior High received Principal of the year this year.

My sister lives in Layton and her kids go to Sand Springs Elementary. It is traditional and she loves it. She has a daughter with special needs and they have been very helpful. They even let her ride the bus home and she lives about 6 houses away. She has another daughter and she has been pleased with her experience too. I know that the school thing can be very confusing and wish you a lot of luck.

Old 05-10-2008, 08:44 AM

1,250 posts, read 3,500,354 times
My children attend Sarah Jane Adams Elementary in Layton. We have really pleased with the teachers and their overall learning experience there. They are always challenged.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:27 PM

1 posts, read 14,116 times
Default West Point area

We live in West Point which is just west of clearfield in between Clinton and Syracuse. The schools here are great if you Google Lakeside elementary and West Point Junior High you will see nothing but great reviews of the schools. We are also in the boundaries for the new Syracuse High School. By the way we are on our way to Texas due to job so if you may be looking for a house to rent or buy (hint hint). But seriously the West Point schools have been great and we are non LDS and the kids were accepted by all. We love the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah