Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2012, 01:54 PM

23 posts, read 86,787 times

Advertisements

Is there anyone who lives in this area of Cedar City or can tell me more about that specific area. I have seen a lot of very beautiful homes for sale in that area. I have also heard there may be one of more homes in that area that are having sinking problems. They need to have the foundation stabilized and this could cost ten of thousands if not hundreds of thousands.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 07:40 PM

317 posts, read 652,219 times
There seem to be subsidence issues all over town, but there are worse problems in some areas of Cedar City than others. My area isn't so bad, but I can notice a difference in the back half of my 40 year old house in just the last year starting at a crack that runs across the ceiling and up the walls in the middle of the house, and the water main in the street broke this year. There is a subdivision above town that's built on a landslide, and parts of Fiddler's apparently have some problems. If you have any questions, consult a geologist before buying. The whole area is geologically active and the valley is sinking as the plateau rises. The same natural forces that create all the natural wonders in southern Utah are at work in town as well.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:10 AM

23 posts, read 86,787 times
Cedarite,

Thanks for your post. I wan't aware the whole area had possible problems. Having grown up in So Cal, I am used to geological activity having riden out several earthquakes over my lifetime. Sinking houses is another whole issue. Other than that, how do you like Cedar City as a whole?

Old 10-22-2012, 12:44 PM

317 posts, read 652,219 times
On the earthquake front, there's a faultline running along the part of town that edges the plateau called the Hurricane Fault. Supposedly it can deliver up to a 5.9, there have been a few small quakes in recent years but much less frequently than in California. The aquifer is being overdrawn and is collapsing which is leading to some of the subsidence, and there's a 2 mile long fissure that has developed out in Enoch. There's a great story about a local business trying to build a special parking lot that wouldn't crack and warp by putting special reinforcement in. Soon after completion there was a small earthquake and it of course cracked and warped. Take a walk through the older neighborhoods and around downtown and you'll see what the subsidence does over time in most of town. But there are a couple of areas where they should not be building and you just want to avoid those.
Other than subsidence, I like Cedar. I like the lack of traffic and noise and the laid back lifestyle. People are not in each others' business to the same extent that they can be in some Utah small towns. The access to recreation is great and it costs much less to live here than many areas. I have my own business so I'm not reliant on the local economy for income, many move-ins here are self employed and bring their businesses with them. It's convenient to Las Vegas for city amenities, and there are a number big box stores in St. George just an hour away for shopping needs that can't be met in Cedar. There is a farmer's market in summer for produce, a wine club for those who like wine, the university adds some diversity too. The winters get cold and there is snow, but when you get sick of winter you can just go to St. George or Las Vegas for a bit of weather in the 60's and 70's. Most of the people are friendly, and it really is a college town in the main part of town so you'll see a distinct population drop around the holidays and in summer.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:47 AM

1 posts, read 2,024 times
Hello GSW19,

I grew up in So. California also and now I live in Ashdown Forest. Our home is beautiful and was built in 2010. Because there are a few homes in this area which have had problems with collapsible soil, we were careful. Most homes don't have issues. As long as a contractor compacts the soil and provides proper drainage, there is no problem building here. We and many of our neighbors haven't had any problems. So if you should buy a home here, do a thorough inspection before buying. Also ask to see a Seller's Disclosure Form which every seller is required by law to provide a prospective buyer.

The homes are beautiful and the HOA ensures that all homes are kept according to the Conditions, Covenants and Restrictions (CC&R). The HOA provides snow removal, maintains streets and drains as well as has an Architectural Control Committee. Their fees are $35 per month which is super reasonable. The Cedar city police chief said that the area is a low crime area. We like the peaceful environment and beautiful view. Also contractors are building quite a few homes in the area. Good luck in your house hunting efforts. Remember Utah gives an elevated view of life and has so many fantastic parks to enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah