Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2012, 12:04 PM

32 posts, read 65,744 times

Advertisements

Has anyone been to this awesome place? I drove there in October of 2011 all the way from East Texas by myself. It was a long and exhausting drive but well worth it! I was only there a day but here's some photos I took around the sanctuary.

Pic 1 - Some of the canyon walls. The sanctuary sits in Angel Canyon outside of Kanab.

Pic 2 - Angel's Rest the animal cemetery. It actually isn't a very sad place. It's very peaceful.

Pic 3 - Some of the resident horsies checking out my vehicle.

Pic 4 - Horse pasture.

Pic 5 - Omar, a Beagle, whom I shared the day with. I think he's been adopted since then as I can no longer find him on the website.

I have a lot more pictures from my vehicle (moving) that were taken on the road and they are lower quality, but I can share those too if anyone is interested! Also have a few more around the sanctuary and the town of Kanab.
Attached Thumbnails
Best Friends Animal Society - Kanab, UT-20111009_5_.png   Best Friends Animal Society - Kanab, UT-20111009_8_.png   Best Friends Animal Society - Kanab, UT-20111009_17_.png   Best Friends Animal Society - Kanab, UT-20111009_32_.png   Best Friends Animal Society - Kanab, UT-20111009_41_.png  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2012, 01:23 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,811,074 times
My wife takes a van-load of her girlfriends to Best Friends each year for a week to do volunteer work. While there, they do small projects, maintenance and spell the regular workers so they can get a little R & R. It's a great facility with caring, dedicated people running it. One of my wife's friends has become such a fan of Best Friends she's decided to retire to Kanab and work at the facility as a volunteer.

Bill

Old 12-08-2012, 01:40 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayedog View Post
Has anyone been to this awesome place? I drove there in October of 2011 all the way from East Texas by myself. It was a long and exhausting drive but well worth it! I was only there a day but here's some photos I took around the sanctuary.

Pic 1 - Some of the canyon walls. The sanctuary sits in Angel Canyon outside of Kanab.

Pic 2 - Angel's Rest the animal cemetery. It actually isn't a very sad place. It's very peaceful.

Pic 3 - Some of the resident horsies checking out my vehicle.

Pic 4 - Horse pasture.

Pic 5 - Omar, a Beagle, whom I shared the day with. I think he's been adopted since then as I can no longer find him on the website.

I have a lot more pictures from my vehicle (moving) that were taken on the road and they are lower quality, but I can share those too if anyone is interested! Also have a few more around the sanctuary and the town of Kanab.
Loving animals as much as I do, I have been to Best Friends several times, and would love to spend a few days down there volunteering. It is truly a wonderful place. Thank you for starting this thread about it.

Old 12-08-2012, 03:05 PM

Glad to see there are some fans of Best Friends out there!

I did volunteer for the day and it was wonderful! Just wish I could have stayed longer.

I'd also really love to do the internship program they have which is a month long, but you have to pay for your own room and board, food and other expenses (gas, etc.) and there's no way I could afford all of that any time soon. :\

Old 12-08-2012, 03:17 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayedog View Post
Glad to see there are some fans of Best Friends out there!

I did volunteer for the day and it was wonderful! Just wish I could have stayed longer.

I'd also really love to do the internship program they have which is a month long, but you have to pay for your own room and board, food and other expenses (gas, etc.) and there's no way I could afford all of that any time soon. :\
I'll tell you what I plan to do in the upcoming year... Best Friends has what they call a "First Response Team." This is a group of people (not necessarily trained professionals like veterinarians but just regular old animal-lovers like us) who is sent to areas where there has been a natural disaster (like Katrina or Sandy, for instance) to rescue the animals that have been abandoned and hopefully reunite them with their owners. The group goes in after the Red Cross has been there a few days and got a good start helping the people who have been displaced, etc. It would be something that you only are called to do a few times a year, but it sounds like something I would absolutely love.

Old 12-08-2012, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'll tell you what I plan to do in the upcoming year... Best Friends has what they call a "First Response Team." This is a group of people (not necessarily trained professionals like veterinarians but just regular old animal-lovers like us) who is sent to areas where there has been a natural disaster (like Katrina or Sandy, for instance) to rescue the animals that have been abandoned and hopefully reunite them with their owners. The group goes in after the Red Cross has been there a few days and got a good start helping the people who have been displaced, etc. It would be something that you only are called to do a few times a year, but it sounds like something I would absolutely love.
That sounds like something I'd be interested in, too. And it would make sense, as I live in a hurricane zone. :P Thanks for the info!

Old 12-09-2012, 01:50 AM

18,722 posts, read 33,380,506 times
I've been a B.F. member for many years. I've been out there for one volunteer week (felled by allergies- was useless!) and a quick two-day visit. I've adopted several dogs over the years and they've all been shipped to me in eastern Mass. Kristi, the adoption manager, has a target on my back- I like seniors and other... slowed... dogs because I'm no ball of fire.
I love how B.F. is becoming a national advocate/training/etc. force. I think everyone that works in rescue sooner or later becomes frustrated with always picking up the end result of flaws in the system or in people, and so on, and want to address the causes of animal homelessness (and cruelty... grrr).

In retirement, I'd like to spend a period of time out there- have never lived in a beautiful, remote town, and would have some volunteering to make some structure. It couldn't be during the later summer- the allergens out there are spectacular! I've never been allergic elsewhere and was really knocked flat. Maybe late winter/spring sometime.
I am glad B.F. is addressing the causes of homeless animals and not only helping the animals but looking at and addressing the causes. They also have great workshops. There's one for people who are involved in their own shelter work, for instance.

I love to hear people talk about Best Friends!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah