Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2012, 09:03 PM

3 posts, read 5,135 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I have been trolling this forum for couple months and just have a few questions... My husband has a possible job opportunity in Mona. What are the best communities to live in around that area( within 1/2 hour). We are not LDS But we are from Arkansas and I find it quite amusing how choice of religion seems to dominate this forum. We are a liberal family and we have survived in Arkansas without being stoned to death or run out of town(LOL) . My husband and I have 2 kids (9,13) and I am currently working on a degree as a special educator (elementary school). Here is my top 3 requirements 1. Excellent education for me and kiddos a must! 2. My husbands commute. 3. A safe yet accessible neighborhood. Thanks in advance for any information"y'all" can provide
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 04:41 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,811,445 times
Mona has an elementary school whereas the junior high and high school are in Nephi. You're only 40 minutes South of BYU and 45 minutes South of Utah Valley University (though some community-based satellite programs are closer). The Provo area is also home to many private colleges and professional schools.

You'll find yourself headed North a lot for shopping and other "big city" opportunities as well. You hit the first "big box" stores (e.g., Walmart Supercenter) once you hit Payson - which is about 20 minutes to the North.

Bill

Old 12-20-2012, 07:50 AM

3 posts, read 5,135 times
Bill,

Thank you for the information! How is the Payson community as far as schools, accessibility, and housing?

Old 12-20-2012, 10:01 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,855,132 times
You may find living in Payson *not half bad*, considering, you can get most stuff for your daily needs right there. The trip to work is not bad, on a *high speed I-15* (aka Mormon 500) unless the weather turns really bad on you. *Right now*, there is some road work going on, but once that is done, it should be a breeze to get to work.
It is a bit small town feel, still. You may be able to find some nice *property* meaning a bit bigger than the regular size city lots.
I do not know anything about the schools, but I have friends with kids there, who would not live anywhere else.
A case of *you get used to anything, sooner or later*.
For your continuing education, you may find that Provo, a hop and a skip north on a new finished freeway, may have all the resources you need.

Last edited by irman; 12-20-2012 at 11:15 AM..

Old 12-25-2012, 09:26 PM

25,732 posts, read 18,809,520 times
You didn't say what part of AR you are from. If it's a metro area, I suppose you'd be fine in Payson or farther north. If you are from a smaller area, you'll find that from Payson north is where the "rat race" begins. Traffic is a joke at rush hour, although they just finished a new interstate expansion which will help in the short term.

Personally, I'd stay in Mona. Why waste gas, money, and time driving back and forth? Mona is a quaint, friendly little community. It is still somewhat rural and has some charm remaining. Nice little lake. A pretty lavender farm nearby. Nephi is close. It has the basics and the schools. Although the masses are moving south toward Nephi, the congestion hasn't quite made it there yet. But Nephi is growing rapidly.

If you are investment minded, buying a home in Nephi now for a relatively low price might just give you a return of the absurd home prices like in Payson, Spanish Fork, Springville, Provo later when the bedroom community syndrome reaches Nephi. And it will. It's just a matter of time. Right now, Santaquin is the big bedroom community boom and that is only a few miles north of Mona (near Payson).

Good luck in this area. Most people who enjoy an urban environment are comfortable in what the area has become.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:23 PM

243 posts, read 628,967 times
As for #1 on your list, an excellent education for your kids will be difficult unless you enroll them in private school. If you live in Payson, Santaquin, Spanish Fork, or Springville, you will be in Nebo School District, which is not that great. It typically is one of the lowest funded districts in the state. I don't know about the schools in Nephi, but that is another option for a short commute to Mona. For #2 your best bet is either Nephi or Payson, unless you want to live right in Mona. Mona is such a small town you will likely have difficulty finding many options on places to live. There has been some new development recently on the south end of town. For #3 you will be fine anywhere in Utah or Juab County. There are practically no unsafe areas to live south of Provo.

I lived in Payson for 20 years, so I am very familiar with the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah