Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2006, 05:15 PM

1 posts, read 10,664 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me a little bit about Richfield? I am a scientist and may have an opportunity to move there. I am also an artist and I love to go hiking and cross country skiing and would like to live somewhere with easy access to both activities and with my dog. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2006, 11:25 PM

5 posts, read 29,127 times
Default Richfield...

If I am not mistaken Richfield, is about 2 hours south east of Provo and about 3 hours north east of St George. Right? A friend of mine moved there recently and I was just talking to her abou it. From what I know- which is very little, it is VERY small in the middle of nowhere. Which is great if you are into that. I know it is a small close community with about 80% LDS population and I guess it's very beautiful with lots of outdoor activities. I think they have a walmart and a kmart and a not much else. I hope this helps!

Old 11-17-2006, 11:18 AM

212 posts, read 791,253 times
Hi there, I was born in Richfield, quite a while ago. I holds a special place inmy heart. I have a brother and a sister that live there too.
Richfield's population is about 7,000 people. It is the biggest town in the area with smaller towns around such as Annabella, Joseph, Elsinore, and Aurora. Richfield is the comercial center for all the small towns around. There is a Kmart, Walmart, Albertsons, A hospital, an airport (very small), golf course, and of course hotels, convenience stores, gas stations, a hardware store, hair salons, a bar, and the majority of store you would find in any town. They are building a Home Depot there too. There are a few working turkey farms and cattle farms in the area as well.

Richfield has a satelite branch of the Snow college campus there as well.

My neice that lives there has had a hard time finding a house to buy. It seems to be a sellers market right now. They have put offers on several houses that have had up to 3 or 4 offers already. If you choose to there is alot of open land to build on. I would guess that a median price of a house would be around $170,000.00 right now. (That may be a little high, though).

Fish lake is one of the most beautiful places in Utah. It is only about a 45 minute drive to the fishlake area from Richfield. Bryce and Zions canyons are under 2 hour drive from richfield. The red mountains in Richfield are beautiful too. When I was living there we hiked the mountains alot.

I'm sure I missed something, but if I remember, I will fill you in. Good luck.
Lori

Old 11-25-2006, 02:32 AM

7,731 posts, read 13,424,908 times
Richfield is a great place to live. I wasnt born there but i am familiar with this area because i am related to several people in aurora. Aurora is about 5 minutes from Richfield and it is a great place to live also. There arnent any buisnesses there but it is minutes from richfield so i think its better to live there than richfield. There are good houses for reasonable prices there. There is a river that runs through it and a nice side park there. There are amazing mountain views there. It has a rich history. It was established by my great great great grandparents John White Curtis and Matilda Miner Curtis. It is a great place to live.

Old 12-03-2006, 03:16 PM

1 posts, read 10,659 times
Default Richfield

Hi,

Richfield, is 160 miles almost due South of downtown Salt Lake City and 110 miles South of Provo. Cedar City is 110 mile Southwest and St. George is 150 miles Southwest of Richfield.

There is no night life in Richfield compared to big cities. If you like to browse and shop in malls its a two to three hour drive to the nearest mall. The airport does not handle any commerical airlines. One bar so to speak. I'd say 85% LDS.

In the in winter, it can be exteremly cold for long periods of time, during the summer, it gets hot, but nothing like St. George, there are times that the temputure difference (in the summer between St. George and Richfield) can be as high as 20 degrees.

There is currently a bitter debate going on in the county over a proposed Coal-fired power plant that many people are fighting.

Also, I-70 is nicknamed Cocaine Alley, for all the drugs that have been impounded by the police.

Great place to live, if you grew up in a small town in the first place.

Old 05-22-2007, 02:03 PM

2 posts, read 14,984 times
I can tell you a lot about Richfield. There a lot of new stores coming like Home Depot, a new and revised JR Munchies (Best Hamburgers anywhere in the west) coming in at Ace Hardware, there is many pizza places and many other restaurants like Small Wonder Cafe where you can get a real dinner for under six dollars every day of the week. I did find that there was a bit of shell shock moving here from a much bigger city but I got over it quickly. Richfield is located in Sevier county which has 30,000+ people living in it with a continual and rapid growth at this time. Richfield houses almost all of the commercial real estate in a six county area (known as six counties). I hope this helps if you have more questions don't hesitate to ask me.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:51 AM

1 posts, read 10,033 times
Default Questions about Richfield and Salina

We are relocating to the Richfield area for a minimum of 6 months. We're from Long Island, New York, and my husband has been working for the Deer Field Mine in Marysvale on-and-off for the last 8 months, commuting from New York. It's been really hard on our family, so we're going to take the plunge to stay together as a family.

My oldest son (7, 2nd grade) is special needs (IEP), and I've been researching schools in Sevier county and have found that the Salina Elementary School is the best with special ed kids as well as mainstream kids. Does that sound right?

We need to rent a 3 bedroom home within the Salina elementary boundaries, and I'm having trouble finding a map that shows what those are... also, having trouble finding any apartment/home rental listings online for Richfield at all! Any tips? Here in NY, there is a realtor network that handles rental properties. My husband spoke to a realtor (wife of a guy who works at the mine), and she said she only sells.

Another question is a little tricky and I hope I don't offend anyone... One of the other guys who works at the mine said that he moved his family to Richfield and his kids had a really hard time making friends because they weren't Mormon. We aren't either... I noticed that there is a Baptist church in Salina - so there must be a Christian community there somewhere. Do you know if it is a young community or mainly retirees without children?

Thanks so much!!!!!!
- June

Old 08-23-2007, 01:30 PM

5,118 posts, read 16,592,135 times
Here are the names and phone numbers of both the Salina and Richfield newspapers. Perhaps if you called, they could tell you how to go about finding a rental property there.

Salina Sun - 435-529-7839
3 East Main Street, Salina, UT 84654-0085
PO Box 85

Richfield Reaper - 435-896-5476
65 West Center, Richfield, UT 84701-0730
P.O. Box 730

http://www.richfieldreaper.com/

Old 08-28-2007, 07:35 AM

396 posts, read 1,275,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
Here are the names and phone numbers of both the Salina and Richfield newspapers. Perhaps if you called, they could tell you how to go about finding a rental property there.

Salina Sun - 435-529-7839
3 East Main Street, Salina, UT 84654-0085
PO Box 85

Richfield Reaper - 435-896-5476
65 West Center, Richfield, UT 84701-0730
P.O. Box 730

The Richfield Reaper Front > Front
They have newspapers?!!

Haha, jk.

Old 10-26-2007, 10:51 AM

3 posts, read 15,497 times
Red face Christian Community in Richfield

Hi June, I spent my HS yrs in Richfield. I am not Mormon, but looking back now as a mother, it couldn't have been a better influence for me to grow up in a predominantly Mormon community. I was never tempted to drink, party or try drugs even though I knew people who did. I feel that my parents did a good job not trying to influence me against the Mormon faith and I have many friends of all faiths. That being said, while I don't live there, my parents still do and my mother belongs to Richfield Bible Church. They are part of a network in So. Utah of bible churches. I live in St George and my children attend services with my mother when she is here or up there. They have many friends from Sevier County to Washington County and attend church camp every summer. So I believe there is a strong community of non-Mormon Christian churches in Sevier Valley. At least relative to what I saw growing up there. Good luck relocating, it will be a big culture shock coming from New York in almost every way you can imagine (convenience of goods/services/restaurants, lack of entertainment options, politics, etc.). However, treat it as an adventure and learning experience and, if possible, frequent trips to the "big city" (Provo/SLC) can help. Even though St George is growing, we still go to Vegas for a good book store, restaurants and shows. Paula
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah