Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2013, 10:43 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,440,097 times

Advertisements

The purpose of this thread is not to debate policy or regulation issues. If you wish to do that please use the section of C-D specified for those discussions. Rather, the purpose of this thread is to do address another mining accident has happened in Emery County claiming the life of a minor and attempt to better understand these workers who risk so much for others.

Miner Dies In Mine-Roof Fall In Emery County | KUTV.com

First, I want to express my condolences to the minor's family, friends and co-workers. How these brave minors go into the mines in UT and other states such as West Virginia to work each day gives a new meaning to bravery to me.

I've been told by many living in the Emery County area that going to work in the mines is in the blood of some miner's families. Their children often feel like mining is the family's line of work. I don't know that those who have moved to that area who grew up in non-mining families/areas have had children who felt like they needed to mine, rather, I think (but might be wrong) these are families who have lived in the area for decades with grandfathers, fathers and other relatives all working as miners.

Not being from UT, but being very aware of the horrific mining disaster in Emery County about 20+ years ago when so many were lost, I'm trying to better understand more the dedication/mindset of these dedicated families who have had fathers, brothers, husbands go back to the mines and experienced the Crandall mine, let alone the one today. I honestly do not know if there are currently female miners in Emery County currently, and if so, whether they were working in the mines during the other mining accidents I've mentioned.

I'm hoping some can post TACTFUL posts, remembering these are real human beings with families not a hypothetical debate, giving further insight to these mining families and how they are continuing to risk their lives to benefit us. If there are miner's family members here who are willing to post your insight of what it's like to live daily with the risks of a mine accident that would be appreciated. Is it like being in a family of law enforcement officers? Does one just learn to adapt or does the family breathe a sigh of relief when their loved ones return home each night?

I apologize in advance if I have inadvertently asked questions that may be very raw and tender for some. My intent is not to hurt anyone. My intent is to understand the dedication of others to risk their lives to benefit us. Thanks in advance to any who can contribute so we can all better understand what it is like to live in a mining family.

My prayers will be with those grieving tonight in Emery County.

MSR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 12:05 AM

164 posts, read 329,218 times
I live in Price and have been coal mining since 2006. Honestly the procedures that we follow make it quite safe. When I would go into work every night I honestly felt safer underground then some of the other work environments I have been around. Coal mining can be dangerous if you don't follow the rules and freak accidents do occasionally happen.

There isn't a lot of places around that pay $22-24 dollars an hour for someone with no mining experience. Not to mention $26-34 an hr for experienced miners so it becomes away of life in our area

Old 03-23-2013, 12:44 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,440,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson15 View Post
I live in Price and have been coal mining since 2006. Honestly the procedures that we follow make it quite safe. When I would go into work every night I honestly felt safer underground then some of the other work environments I have been around. Coal mining can be dangerous if you don't follow the rules and freak accidents do occasionally happen.

There isn't a lot of places around that pay $22-24 dollars an hour for someone with no mining experience. Not to mention $26-34 an hr for experienced miners so it becomes away of life in our area
Good info Johnson15. Thank you for taking the time to post.

I absolutely agree about earning potentials in Carbon and Emery County. I have family that moved to the area and I'm fairly informed about that job market. However, I didn't know the hourly went into the $30+ rate. I'm glad miners can earn that level of compensation for their years of experience.

Information from an expert who does the job is always valued by me. Please feel free to post more about myths some of us might have about mining vs. the reality.

I have a tremendous amount of respect for miners!

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
View detailed profiles of: