Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Utah as religious as people say it is
yes, they cant stop talking about it 41 38.32%
no but more religious than surrounding states 33 30.84%
yes but it is not mentioned in everyday life 30 28.04%
no, it's just a myth 3 2.80%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 05:02 AM

13 posts, read 40,884 times

Advertisements

how big of a role does religion play? are people talking about god all the time? how do they treat things such as premarital sex, and homosexuality? what is the general consensus concerning atheists? is racism an issue?

Old 10-27-2007, 08:29 AM

1,125 posts, read 3,524,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIERSTENHILLKIRK View Post
how big of a role does religion play? are people talking about god all the time? how do they treat things such as premarital sex, and homosexuality? what is the general consensus concerning atheists? is racism an issue?
You have created a compound question. Which one do you want to poll?

Religion in the lives of the LDS in Utah is a major factor. In fact, the Latter day Saint religion is a lifestyle; it permeates the everyday lives of those who faithfully practice; however, you will probably not hear much discussion regarding religion in public. Just how important religion is for other faiths, I do not know.

Any western culture religion and many eastern religions do not condone premarital sex and homosexual practices. It should be noted that those who engage in such acts are not taken out and stoned, however.

If one wants to be an atheist, then they are free to do so. Utah came about as a result of the LDS seeking religious freedom; however, atheist should not assume they will be free from religious influence; the Constitution makes no such guarantee. The dominant religion in Utah is LDS, and Latter day Saints hold very similar political beliefs; therefore, they vote alike. Many accuse the LDS Church of controlling Utah; nothing of the sort is true. The members dominate the politics of Utah, because they tend to vote the same.

Yes, racism is an issue in the United States.

Old 10-31-2007, 03:14 PM

22 posts, read 65,296 times
it permeates every part of their life. it is the practicly the only conversation you hear...church this church that.missionaries this missionaries that,elder this elder that, few original, if any thought. Racism? until the 1980's the church taught that people of color were in disfavor in the eyes of God.

Old 10-31-2007, 03:25 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akkat View Post
it permeates every part of their life. it is the practicly the only conversation you hear...church this church that.missionaries this missionaries that,elder this elder that, few original, if any thought. Racism? until the 1980's the church taught that people of color were in disfavor in the eyes of God.
Boy you couldnt resist bringing that up could ya?

Old 10-31-2007, 03:31 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
As far as racism, This person of color hasnt experienced one shred of racism in the dozens of times Ive visited my relatives in Salt Lake.

And being a faithful Mormon as stated above affects every aspect of your life..or darn near every aspect. The Church is to Utah what Technology is to the Silicon Valley-Its a Company town so to speak, but in this case, the church is the 800-lb gorrilla in the middle of the room.

But you know what? They founded present day Salt Lake City after they fled persecution in Missouri, Illinois and points east. And because it was so removed from the rest of the country, the church was able to build generations of strong families steeped in history that revolves around their membership. There's nothing wrong with that.

On the other hand,
Salt Lake City itself is a liberal bastion that I believe is no longer majority Mormon-although the surrounding Metro is overwhelmingly Mormon.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:39 PM

132 posts, read 687,601 times
Thumbs up Overview...

Yes, it is a very religious state. But the myth is that it's all Mormon (LDS)everything. In many cities, with the tons of out-of-staters moving in, the percentage is changing fast. We've lived here almost a year and have not had one Mormon try to come and convert us. More sales people than anything. BTW, there's FREEWILL here. It's not like Mormons come around, chain you up, & drag you kicking & screaming to their temple until you give in and join their religion. I'm sure I got some Mormons laughing on that one. haha.

So, I think there is a lot of myth when people say they 'all' treat you bad & 'all' ignore you, etc. Everybody is different. It probably depends also on what county, city, street or subdivision you happen to live in, or how active Mormon missionaries are in your area at the time. And as others have posted, many religions have missionaries that may visit, not just Mormons. And as other LDSers have said before, there are some cities that would be pretty hard for nonLDSers to live in, as even some LDSers don't feel as comfy visiting them. But remember, even in other states, some cities and certain subdivisions aren't keen on outsiders or those in different class levels, etc.. And most of the time it has nothing to due with religion at all. There will always be those divisions in some areas more than others.

How big of a role does religion play?
There are many Christian faiths here, so to many of us our lives revolve around Jesus, our personal Lord & Savior. I couldn't imagine it any other way. So, you do tend to hear people talking about their faith as it comes up in natural life. And most people I meet do go to church somewhere. But not everyone does. And while Jesus is most important to us, we do have other things in regular daily life we talk about, too.

BTW, we've met many of each of these groups: Mormons, former Mormons, nonpracticing Mormons, and a lot of people from the many different Christian faiths around here, too. So, there's a big blend in Utah, making it a very religious state overall.

The main thing I have heard of from families with kids in the public schools is that it is pretty hard on their kids being nonMormon and the exclusion thing. Tho it's not bad for everyone, it does seem a pretty big issue. I could see how it would be hard on the dating age kids, too. So many I meet have switched their kids to homeschooling or private schools, which helps greatly. That's pretty big here w/LDS & nonLDS. And with the overcrowded schools, that makes sense. But besides that, overall my husband said that gangs would be more of a concern than Mormonism anyway.

Thankfully Utah is one of the more moral & conservative states, so that was a great plus for our family. There's plenty of states to choose from that are less religious and less moral, if this is not what people are really looking for. Some love it here, others hate it, and some in between. We're one of the families that love it here. So far, this is my favorite state of the several I've lived in. Thanks to all who helped make our move easier by offering very helpful advice on this site. That's why I want to try to do the same for others.

Take care!

Last edited by mountainfaith; 11-05-2007 at 06:56 PM..

Old 11-05-2007, 06:45 PM

52,688 posts, read 47,955,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainfaith View Post
Yes, it is a very religious state. But the myth is that it's all Mormon (LDS)everything. In many cities, with the tons of out-of-staters moving in, the percentage is changing fast. We've lived here almost a year and have not had one Mormon try to come and convert us. More sales people than anything. BTW, there's FREEWILL here. It's not like Mormons come around, chain you up, & drag you kicking & screaming to their temple until you give in and join their religion. I'm sure I got some Mormons laughing on that one. haha.

So, I think there is a lot of myth when people say they 'all' treat you bad & 'all' ignore you, etc. Everybody is different. It probably depends also on what county, city, street or subdivision you happen to live in, or how active Mormon missionaries are in your area at the time. And as others have posted, many religions have missionaries that may visit, not just Mormons. And as other LDSers have said before, there are some cities that would be pretty hard for nonLDSers to live in, as even some LDSers don't feel as comfy visiting them. But remember, even in other states, some cities and certain subdivisions aren't keen on outsiders or those in different class levels, etc.. And most of the time it has nothing to due with religion at all. There will always be those divisions in some areas more than others.

How big of a role does religion play?
There are many Christian faiths here, so to many of us our life revolves around Jesus, our personal Lord & Savior. I couldn't imagine it any other way. So, you do tend to hear people talking about their faith as it comes up in natural life. And most people I meet do go to church somewhere. But not everyone does. And while Jesus is most important to us, we do have other things in regular daily life we talk about, too.

BTW, we've met many of each of these groups: Mormons, former Mormons, nonpracticing Mormons, and a lot of people from the many different Christian faiths around here, too. So, there's a big blend in Utah, making it a very religious state overall.

The main thing I have heard of from families with kids in the public schools is that it is pretty hard on their kids being nonMormon and the exclusion thing. Tho it's not bad for everyone, it does seem a pretty big issue. I could see how it would be hard on the dating age kids, too. So many I meet have switched their kids to homeschooling or private schools, which helps greatly. That's pretty big here w/LDS & nonLDS. And with the overcrowded schools, that makes sense. But besides that, overall my husband said that gangs would be more of a concern than Mormonism anyway.

Thankfully Utah is one of the more moral & conservative states, so that was a great plus for our family. There's plenty of states to choose from that are less religious and less moral, if this is not what people are really looking for. Some love it here, others hate it, and some in between. We're one of the families that love it here. So far, this is my favorite state of the several I've lived in. Thanks to all who helped make our move easier by offering very helpful advice on this site. That's why I want to try to do the same for others.

Take care!
What a relief! Thanks for this wonderful post. And thanks, also, for your boldness in sharing.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:48 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,273,875 times
Ok people...this question permeates this board...why is that? There is an awful lot of utah/religion questions going around the country I would guess...why else would 90% of the people thinking of moving here ask this question. YES YES YES its true, its all over, it permeates everyday life, a lot of folks are shunned (and contrary to popular belief it's not ALWAYS the newcomer's fault as is suggested to me on a daily basis) So if you have any doubt at all about Utah go with your gut and don't come. There that should cover it.

PS oh SeargeantL, my husband and I met a neighbor today...they live on the OTHER side of the aforementioned woman that you think I should have get on this board and explain why I am so shunned, well....they have the same problem, and guess what, they aren't mormon either and she treats them like dirt too. Just thought I'd let ya know.

You know, I am not a drinker, at least I wasn't until I moved here. Thank goodness I can buy good wine out of state is all I can say. Anyone want to join me?? Hubby just brought a case back from our summer home in WA state... if you're moving here your gonna need it

Blast me if you wish, I don't especially give a hoot.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:52 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,273,875 times
I'm waiting..

Old 11-05-2007, 06:53 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
Default Moved: Posts on LDS in Utah that Have Morphed into General Mormonism Comments

I personally do not share a belief system like members of the LDS church however I don't think their tendancy to talk it or live it is really that different from any other group that believes and lives what they preach.

I have never lived in Utah but have been in a job where I spoke with them alot and they were really very nice and genuine people. I never had one of them be rude to me nor did any of them try to force their religion on me. At times they would ask if I could provide names of doctors in their area that were also LDS but I have had people from other areas of the US ask the same thing about other religions.

I think people see things on the news about the off shoot splinter groups that are NOT the LDS church and assume they are all like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah