Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2013, 02:50 PM

57 posts, read 117,525 times

Advertisements

Hello, my husband and I plus twin-2 yr olds are relocating from California to UT heading out August 1. I have family in Cottonwood (and also 1 friend living in SLC). Family are older and have been in Cottonwood for 50 years. I'm not sure if they are out of touch with Utah these days, so I'm posing this question to confirm something.

We really love the Farmington and Kaysville areas. We look at houses every night all over the state, but feel really drawn to this area. We like the "close to city" but not in the city aspect. We also like the home prices for what we are looking for (older home, larger plot). My husband has a catering company and we think he'd be better off staying driving close to SLC and also south of that. But for some reason we love the look for Layton, Farmington, Kaysville. I want the small town feel, with access to the city.

So I wrote to my family and told them we liked this area and they were negative about it, telling us we'd "never fit in" not being LDS. I've read a ton of threads here and I'm sort of shocked they are being so sure we can never be happy there. We are Christians, conservatives, and easy going, friendly, accepting of others, and know that although we might not have CLOSE friends in our neighborhood, we can at least co-exist (for lack of a better term). They said we'd be "shunned" and isolated.

I'm not sure if this is because back when my aunt was raising her daughter 30 years ago, they experienced this alienation, or that they assume being from California we'll hate it.

We plan on getting our girls active in things that will allow them to meet kids LDS and non, we also plan to homeschool so there won't be any issue with not fitting in at school.

I would love to hear comments from anyone living in these areas. I tend to feel like it will be what we make of it, and we cannot wait to leave California. We sort of laugh at this negativity because we don't fit in here either, being conservatives in a highly progressive liberal state. We actually look forward to being surround by the highly religious!

EDITED TO ADD: sorry Kaysville is spelled wrong in title!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 09:41 AM

14,316 posts, read 14,118,208 times
Quote:
We really love the Farmington and Kaysville areas. We look at houses every night all over the state, but feel really drawn to this area. We like the "close to city" but not in the city aspect. We also like the home prices for what we are looking for (older home, larger plot). My husband has a catering company and we think he'd be better off staying driving close to SLC and also south of that. But for some reason we love the look for Layton, Farmington, Kaysville. I want the small town feel, with access to the city.
I live right between Farmington and Kaysville. It is one of the nicer areas in the state to live. We've been here for over twenty years. Its close to the Cherry Hills Water Park and to Lagoon which is a good-sized amusement park with rides for the children. During Spring and Autumn, the landscape here is beautiful. Home prices in this area are going to be high. However, if you are from California the prices may seem reasonable in comparison. The area has grown a great deal in the last few decades and farming fields and tracts of vacant land have been transformed into housing subdivisions and strip malls. The bright side is that you can find virtually anything you need now without having to go to Ogden or Salt Lake any longer.

Quote:
So I wrote to my family and told them we liked this area and they were negative about it, telling us we'd "never fit in" not being LDS. I've read a ton of threads here and I'm sort of shocked they are being so sure we can never be happy there. We are Christians, conservatives, and easy going, friendly, accepting of others, and know that although we might not have CLOSE friends in our neighborhood, we can at least co-exist (for lack of a better term). They said we'd be "shunned" and isolated.
There is no getting away from the fact that the LDS Church has a lot of influence virtually everywhere in Utah. If that concerns you, you'd be best off selecting another place to live. The church's influence is stronger in Davis County (Farmington, Layton, Kaysville, Bountiful, Centerville, etc.) than it is in metro Salt Lake City. However, most non-members find it tolerable. A general rule of thumb is that non-LDS people will be happiest in Salt Lake, Davis, and Weber counties. You can co-exist and you will very likely make both Mormon and non-Mormon friends while you are here. Simply be aware that your Mormon friends will be spending a great deal of their spare time involved in church and family activities and it may leave them little time for socializing. The notion of being "shunned" though is ridiculous.

Quote:
I'm not sure if this is because back when my aunt was raising her daughter 30 years ago, they experienced this alienation, or that they assume being from California we'll hate it.
Utah has gradually become more diverse in the last thirty years and I think its easier for non-LDS people to live here. There is also an issue about "attitude". If people come here with an attitude they will be discriminated against and have a chip on their shoulder than that attitude often becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy.

Quote:
We plan on getting our girls active in things that will allow them to meet kids LDS and non, we also plan to homeschool so there won't be any issue with not fitting in at school.
I'm not a huge fan of homeschooling. However, it is your right. Utah has laws that grant parents great freedom when it comes to homeschooling.

Quote:
I would love to hear comments from anyone living in these areas. I tend to feel like it will be what we make of it, and we cannot wait to leave California. We sort of laugh at this negativity because we don't fit in here either, being conservatives in a highly progressive liberal state. We actually look forward to being surround by the highly religious!
I am not a conservative and there are actually a few moderates and liberals who still live in Utah. I find it a little distressing the number of posts I'm reading these days from people who want to move to Utah because they perceive it as some sort of "conservative bastion". However, its certainly your right to come here for any reason that you choose.

Its unclear to me whether you are "looking at all these houses" in person or over the internet. If you haven't been here in person, I'd suggest you come and look around before making a decision to relocate. Moving is one of the most critical decisions that we can make.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:16 AM

1,961 posts, read 4,369,252 times
I am currently living in Logan, and my husband and I are looking to relocate down to the Layton, and perhaps Farmington area. We are non-LDS (I am also a new mother of twins - 5 months old and a 2 year old).

I like the Layton area, but it lacks a real city center, which is a draw back to me. Kayesville is on our list since it does have a little down town area, but I am afraid it my be a bit small for me.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I am not a conservative and there are actually a few moderates and liberals who still live in Utah. I find it a little distressing the number of posts I'm reading these days from people who want to move to Utah because they perceive it as some sort of "conservative bastion". However, its certainly your right to come here for any reason that you choose.
I'm sorry if my post distressed you. We are not looking for a conservative bastion. In fact, my friend who lives in SLC is liberal and that's not why we are seeking a refuge in Utah. Our state is poorly run and we now have a democratic majority who vote to tax tax tax us higher and higher with no end in sight. It is near impossible to survive as a middle class family here. The state leaders are not fiscally responsible in any way, shape, or form. Trying to run a small business in this state is a complete joke.

We are not imagining a utopia, but when you read Utah being #4 best run state in the US, and a great state for small business, it is very appealing. I have lived here my whole life and I remember when it earned its reputation for being a golden state. I would like to offer my babies a better living environment. I won't go into it, but it would be nice to take my kids to a park that I didn't have to see junkies nodding off or crazy dudes in only their underwear (both instances in the last week).

As far as house prices, the best we could do here would be to buy a converted apartment that they slap the title "home" on, for $350+K, with no yard, a carport that isn't located near you, and a down payment that we can't touch. I have friends who have done this to get into the real estate game, but I just have a hard time giving up my dream of owning a real home with a real yard, which is completely unattainable for us here.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:16 AM

30 posts, read 77,643 times
So, I wrote something up on Kaysville simply because of these forums.Moderator cut: not allowedI'd love to know what other people have questions on - because I'd recommend Kaysville hands down.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 04-06-2013 at 12:10 PM..

Old 04-06-2013, 10:27 PM

5 posts, read 9,245 times
Hello. Having grown up in the center of these cities, I loved it! Downtown SLC is only a 25 min drive. You're close to everything from hikes, biking trails, skiing, parks nearby, shopping, movies, dining, etc. It's a VERY family and community oriented place to live. Look into homes in Fruit Heights! It's just east of Kaysville, north of Farmingon, and southeast of Layton. It's probably the most residential city in the state. It's a small 2 square miles of mostly family size homes. Beautiful views of the valley up on the east bench too! Sunsets are amazing with the lake to the west (California-view feel).

Old 04-07-2013, 05:08 PM

Thank you very much meteor!

I wanted to say, to Mark G, the original responder. I have been reading these forums for months since we decided to head to Utah last November. There are many posts on this forum written by Utah residents who call the state "conservative". I could spend an hour finding and posting links to conversations but I don't have the time. My point is, your comment of being distressed by so many of us who perceive UT as being conservative....It's very possible the perception is due to reading these posts.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:38 PM

536 posts, read 1,532,176 times
Let us know how it went. I'm planning to visit Utah myself. Been there once but that was on a Greyhound bus so all I saw were the mountains capped in snow....

Old 05-29-2013, 08:48 PM

Still shopping! I will be making an offer next week. One stop drop in make an offer fly out - TRIP. Woo hoo!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah