Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 11:10 AM

23 posts, read 63,445 times

Advertisements

I see thread after thread of people criticizing or being shocked by the fact that Utah/Salt Lake doesn't offer the same shopping or dining experiences they are use to. They also seem to feel free to criticize the Mormon faith, this is all very perplexing to me.

To me this is a no-brainer. I wouldn't move to Texas if I were looking for good skiing. I wouldn't move to Montana if I hated the cold, so why do they move here and expect it to be the same as what they left? If I moved to Rome, I would expect most of the people to be of the Catholic faith, is this a hard concept to grasp or is it just me? Furthermore, I wouldn't expect a whole community to change just because I now live among them.

Salt Lake does offer fine dinning, but it's not New York... expect this. Salt Lake is smaller than New York or LA, so it stands to reason the shopping experience will be limited in proportion, doesn't this make sense? Furthermore, believe it or not, you may run into some people of the Mormon faith here... what a shock? If you don't like the family values here... now think about this for a moment............. don't move here, or if you do please assimilate!

Old 10-30-2007, 11:51 AM

575 posts, read 1,778,140 times
Well, not everyone is able to pick and choose exactly where they want to live. Some folks have little choice but to go where the jobs are. Could be a new opportunity, a transfer, a military move, etc.

But I do agree that you need to research any area you may be moving to so you're prepared. Then after the move don't constantly compare everything to where you came from and let anyone who will listen know just how much better life was in your previous city/state/country. Although airing complaints on an anonymous internet message board is probably a better option than doing so IRL if you ask me.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:51 AM

1,125 posts, read 3,524,477 times
Your frustration has been expressed many times before. I can’t answer your questions; however, I agree with your reasoning.

Old 10-30-2007, 12:18 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,384,622 times
I know that I myself have made comments about the dining and shopping here. Though, my comments are not so much complaints or an expression of utter shock, moreso they are responses to someones questions what to expect. If someone says they are moving from the East coast, I am going to share my experiences with what I have witnessed and the experience I went through.

Yes, I do think the shopping sucks in Logan. It is not a complaint, it is a statement of fact. Was I completely blindsided by this fact? no. But if someone says they are a single non-morman who wants to know if Logan would be a good fit, I am going to tell her what it is really like to live here. Shopping? non exisistan. Nightlife? ha! Awesome access to hiking, biking, skiing? ABSOLUTELY! (In this case, I think most people will expect that Utah is an amazing outdoor mecca - but I will still mention it anyway)

Regarding the Mormon thing, yes I knew I would encounter mormons, and I would enjoy easy shopping on Sundays (no lines! YES!), however, I did not expect to be judged and have people whisper behind my back, or have the religion be discussed in the workplace and social settings. I would much rather talk about a new book, or the killer conditions at the local ski slopes than the latest gossip from the ward or whatever.

Furthermore, I think your final statement
Quote:
If you don't like the family values here... now think about this for a moment............. don't move here, or if you do please assimilate!
is misleading and misinterpreting what many people have been saying. I think it is unfair to dismiss peoples reactions as them not accepting the "family values" here. For me, I really really could care less what god/regligion someone chooses to worship. Wicca? no problem. Islam? Cool. Athiest? Right on! I am not offended by the family values, nor by where someone chooses to go to church. What most people don't realize til they live here is what REALLY happens... shunned by neighbors, enduring endless conversations about church in the workplace and social situations. I personally find the information very useful.

Honestly, just because someone sounds critical does not mean that they do not enjoy their overall experience.

Old 10-30-2007, 02:18 PM

52 posts, read 165,589 times
Amen, DC. You just put into words (simply) how many of us feel. I think sometimes we all just get caught up in the BS and therefore we take it personally.

Old 10-30-2007, 05:34 PM

23 posts, read 63,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easternerDC View Post
For me, I really really could care less what god/regligion someone chooses to worship. Wicca? no problem. Islam? Cool. Athiest? Right on! I am not offended by the family values, nor by where someone chooses to go to church. What most people don't realize til they live here is what REALLY happens... shunned by neighbors, enduring endless conversations about church in the workplace and social situations. I personally find the information very useful.
Thanks for helping me prove my point. Here is a typical type that just doesn't get it. He starts out saying to each his own, but he can't handle both sides wanting the same thing. Let me try and spell it out, to the majority here, "his own" means Mormon, get use to it.

He doesn't understand why he is shunned by the neighbors, or why he has to endure endless conversations about church. Lets all say, "when in Roam". If someone like this moved to a fishing village, he wouldn't understand why everyone has to talk about fishing all the time. He would be annoyed by the fact people in the village would see him as an outsider not willing to assimilate because of this, then he would view this as the village people shunning him.

There is no reason not to expect a whole lot of church talk here, your in Utah! There is no reason for the established population to all change there habits and conversations to suite you ether.

Old 10-30-2007, 07:25 PM

52 posts, read 165,589 times
Here we go again!? Look we all move here because we can, period the end. I'm getting rather sick of the "if you don't like it lump it" sentiment that prevails on this forum. Theres no point in beating a dead horse. Some of us try to be rational, others don't.

Old 10-30-2007, 07:27 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,435,377 times
I think some people just like to complain. They would find something to whine about no matter where they moved.

Who in their right mind moves to SLC and complains about the Mormons. That would be the SAME kind of people who move to Miami and complain about the Hispanics.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:12 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,731,674 times
My biggest concern is that people attribute all things they don't like to the "Mormons." For example, if your Mormon neighbor is stand-offish, people assume they are that way because they are Mormon.

Why not think that the person is stand-offish, and they happen to be Mormon? If the same thing happened, say in Des Moines, there wouldn't as easily be the broad-brush label that could be applied.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:49 PM

1,125 posts, read 3,524,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
My biggest concern is that people attribute all things they don't like to the "Mormons." For example, if your Mormon neighbor is stand-offish, people assume they are that way because they are Mormon.

Why not think that the person is stand-offish, and they happen to be Mormon? If the same thing happened, say in Des Moines, there wouldn't as easily be the broad-brush label that could be applied.
A superb point, I have experienced all manner of less than ideal neighbors wherever I have lived. I attribute their behavior to their individual personalities and never give any thought to their particular religion. On this forum, however, it seems as though it is impossible for someone to make a negative comment about a crummy neighbor without mentioning the religion of the neighbor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
View detailed profiles of: