Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 12:54 PM

28 posts, read 68,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibarbie View Post
I don't get your point TCA?
I think TCA's point is avoid any area that Unified Police are responsible for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 01:12 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,760,104 times
Don't you mean avoid jurisdiction of West Valley PD? LOL

Old 05-07-2013, 09:22 PM

835 posts, read 2,076,770 times
If that is TCA's point, then the OP should rule out Millcreek, East Millcreek, Canyon Rim, Olympus Cove, Holladay, Emigration Canyon and both Cottonwood Canyons too....such awful neighborhoods for sure

Old 05-13-2013, 03:46 PM

45 posts, read 154,816 times
Utah is not a violent state, but it does have more violent crime and illicit drug use then many outsiders would believe.
Most of this concentrated in small micro-areas of the state.

Ogden, Salt Lake City, South Salt Lake City all have violent crime rate's slightly above the national average. Although
a vast, vast majority of Salt Lake's issues are concentrated in certain areas. As a general rule the closer to U of U, the safer it gets. Most areas near the U of U are extremely safe and tidy.

Taylorsville, Midvale and Murray are similar to the national average on violent crime. However, I can't help but think
Murray over-reports their crime as I have never seen any bad element in Murray as the town sort of feels
Norman Rockwell-ish.

Pretty much anywhere else in this state has little to no violent crime and very few negative elements.

Utah has some very isolated bad micro-areas. These areas are safe to drive through, but if one was to move into an
apartment complex or a house they may have buyers remorse after a few months.

Old 05-29-2013, 04:38 PM

12 posts, read 25,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytidid View Post
I will be honest here. Compared to many areas of the US, there really are no horrible neighborhoods here. There are a couple of areas in which I would *prefer* not to live, but none that I would actually be afraid of. Personally I would not want to live in Rose Park (The Rose Park community is very small. It is defined as west of I-15, north of 600 North, and east of Redwood Road) and some areas of West Valley, although other areas of West Valley are newer and not as bad. The areas around 3000S to approximately 5600 S and from eh 900 W to around 5600 W is not someplace that I would probably choose to live if I had my druthers. I would not have any qualms about driving in those areas, so you don't have to totally avoid those areas. There is an area of Sandy (White City) that I probably would not choose to live in either. I don't know those coordinates very well however, as I don't live out that way.

Provo? A word of advice...a cute little town, but if you are not LDS I would probably stay away from Utah County all together. Personally I could live there (and I am not LDS) and wouldn't have an issue, but the general consensus from those that have lived there is that if you are not Mormon, there are probably other areas that would be a better fit for you.

Good advice, not really any "bad" areas to be afraid of in SLC, comparitively speaking. Thats Utah, where finding a bad neighborhood is work. I grew up in Utah and have lived here for over 30 years total. Totally agree on Provo/Utah County. But even if you are LDS I still wouldnt recommend it. I am LDS and I wouldnt live in Utah County if you paid me and gave me a house.

Utah will probably never be seen as cutting edge, I think it has much more in common with the south then locals would ever admit(lived there too). It can be very backwoodsy and ignorant. Progressive it is not. But it does have its charm, there are some great genuine (and some not so genuine)nice people here....it's very family oriented...... SLC has decent restaurants and some cultural events,(forget any of that in the rest of the state).....sports are a big deal in the schools at the expense of more educational programs.....it can be very cliqueish....there is a definite keep up with the joneses element.....you will never find more ice cream/cup cake/yogurt/donut type places in your life....or women with the same haircut... or 4 door 4wd trucks that are only driven on the road (by the same bleached blonde women)... Red Lobster and Olive Garden are considered good food...and the annual BYU UofU football game is a religious event.

Provo/Orem..including American Fork(its all connected now) is something else entirely. Its everything I described above amplified. If/when you move to Utah and get to experience the twilight zone of Utah County for yourself, dont let it form you opinion of Utah or the LDS faith. I've never found anything about Provo/Orem it to be sincere or appealing, to me it's a very sterile (and contradictory) place. It has a nice paint job but an underbelly that is pretensious and small minded, and about as cultured as a trailer park....with food to match.

Old 06-10-2013, 01:20 PM

24 posts, read 98,118 times
Rose Park and West Valley are what come to mind when I think of "bad parts of town". Provo is very LDS, and you'd feel it right away. There are places in Utah County that aren't so bad though. We live in Saratoga Springs and have non-LDS neighbors right behind us that we get along with great. We're non-practicing LDS, so maybe that's part of why we get along so great, but we haven't had any problems with the LDS neighbors. To be honest, it's all in what you put into it with the neighbors. Many of the LDS already have a community thanks to church, and may not have time or a desire to reach outside of that community too.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:44 AM

25,742 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Not to cause trouble again, but you know, these ridiculous comments about Utah County are STILL rampant on this forum. Year after year after year. Most folks get tired of kicking a dead horse at some point.

So, I may as well kick one too: I've lived in Utah County much of my life and I've never had problems with any of the Mormons here. I simply do not understand the comments, and never have since I first set eyes on this forum. What is it that you people think "the Mormons" do down here to "outsiders"? I've never seen a witch burning yet.

Personally, I have the exact opposite opinion. I would not live in the Salt Lake valley if you gave me a big, fancy home free of charge and paid me $500,000 a year to live in it. The entire Wasatch Front region is an absolute mess, but SLC is ground zero for the disaster this area has become. Now if we want to talk about Utah County... well, yeah, it's a mess as well. But less of a mess.

IMO, to make Utah a workable place to live at all, you need to get out of the metro areas altogether and head south, east, or west. There are many small, peaceful towns. No traffic, no noise, no fast-food garbage on every corner, no walmarts, or at least less of these things.

But then again, that's just me. I wouldn't suggest any of Utah at this point. I bought a small patch of land in a northeastern North Dakota town of about 126 people, about 15 miles west of Park River (pop. 1375). I'm working towards moving there within the next few years (still )... now THAT will be real living.

Grrrrrrr... Sorry for the rant, but sometimes you haters up north just frost me... Look at the bright side, I've refrained from going ballistic on this topic for at least a year!

Old 06-21-2013, 08:12 PM

2 posts, read 5,020 times
wow i love how people bash on rose park for being a smaller bad community. i have lived in rose park my whole life and nothing extremely serious has happened. over all the people down here are extremely nice!!!

Old 06-21-2013, 09:49 PM

28,100 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamdrang View Post
I am LDS and I wouldnt live in Utah County if you paid me and gave me a house.
There are a whole bunch like you here on this forum -- including me.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:53 PM

28,100 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedevil666 View Post
wow i love how people bash on rose park for being a smaller bad community. i have lived in rose park my whole life and nothing extremely serious has happened. over all the people down here are extremely nice!!!
I've known a few people who are from Rose Park, too, and all of them seem to really like it. Statistically speaking, it may not be as low in crime as parts of Salt Lake, but then, like like pretty much any part of Salt Lake City, Rose Park varies from one part of it to another. There are parts of Murray, for instance, that are quite nice and parts that you couldn't pay me enough to live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah