Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 10:18 AM

85 posts, read 216,757 times

Advertisements

Very late reply, but great info, thanks! My wife and I sound very similar to you, BuckeyezRule. Where did you look for/get jobs? Wife is a teacher and we really really want to move ASAP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 07:05 AM

600 posts, read 1,927,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsk42 View Post
Very late reply, but great info, thanks! My wife and I sound very similar to you, BuckeyezRule. Where did you look for/get jobs? Wife is a teacher and we really really want to move ASAP!
Teachers-teachers.com

Why do you want to move/teach here so bad?

Old 04-10-2014, 08:02 AM

We need to get out of current area since we just can't live here long term, and we did a country-wide search and Utah fits our requirements the best of any place that we looked. We're huge into outdoors things, don't drink/party, etc., family-oriented, and very much like the SLC valley climate. Teacher pay is TONS more than our current place, and haven't heard any glaring negatives compared to what we have here. Thanks for the link!

Old 04-10-2014, 09:11 PM

14,339 posts, read 14,147,685 times
I'm astonished to learn that Utah has much higher teacher pay than anywhere. Just be sure you are correct.

A few words about the schools here:

1. Crowded.
2. Underfunded.
3. Large families.
4. Reputation for low wages for teachers compared to other states.

My sister quit teaching and went and got her PhD so she could be a college professor. The problems I've mentioned above were key factors in her decision.

There are some positives. The family-oriented climate makes for fewer disciplinary problems. The state is largely white and there are very few racial problems either.

Utah is a nice place to live, so I could see that factoring into your decision. I wish you best, but don't blind yourself to the problems here either.

Old 04-11-2014, 07:30 AM

Yep, Utah's "low" somewhat, but not at the bottom, and the cost of living makes it really midrange for salary. Took a couple thousand dollar pay cut from MN to be in SD, and came out ahead after living costs reduction. (taxes, housing, food, gas, etc.) Also, looking at averages doesn't really give you the best info. Looking at actual school district salary schedules is much more telling. Averages take into account ridiculous college professor salaries and other things that have basically no affect on high school teachers.

By either number, though, Utah is about $10,000 higher than here at nearly the same cost of living, and a much better potential future salary.

Thanks for the list 1-4, I have heard those before and took that into account but others may not have. The positives seem great compared to here.

Old 04-14-2014, 03:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,670 times
OP

Provo is actually a great place, with lots of great things to offer. It is quieter than Salt Lake and Ogden, however. As for the people, there is a high density of families with children and LDS. To offset this, there are two large Universities in the area. Provo isn't quite a sleepy as it once was. I'd say the people are actually very nice, and will respect those that respect them. You're close tons of outdoor activities from fishing, skiing, boating, hiking, etc. You're closer to the National Parks, Lake Powell, Moab, and St. George, all great weekend destinations.

That said, I would say your best option is right in the middle of the Wasatch Front. If I were you, I'd consider the Cottonwood Heights, SugarHouse, Millcreek, or Downtown areas. What they offer is amazing proximity and centrality. The population base is more balanced, where it might be easier to meet good friends. Plus, you're super close to the ski resorts in the Cottonwood Canyons and Park City. It's only another hour of driving to reach Southern Utah, if that. Wherever you choose, come ready to play in the greatest playground on the planet. We hope that you love it here and good luck! Happy to answer any questions you have.

Old 04-16-2014, 06:18 AM

OK thanks, good info. I'll think up some questions and send you them when I have a big list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah