U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 07:53 AM

85 posts, read 206,006 times

Advertisements

We are from the midwest and have never lived out west. We do not drink, rarely party (unless it's board games or something), and are mostly looking to find a final place for a family eventually.

That said, we're 29, VERY active in basically any athletic sport or activity, love anything MMA, and are generally very involved with people our age or younger in activities.

We visited SLC and did almost everything it has to offer in the summer and loved it. What I'm wondering is:

How different is Provo and Ogden?
I've heard (horror) stories of how they're a LOT more Mormon and it changes the city a lot. They're obviously smaller, so will there still be activities and groups around to do stuff with? Does everyone just have kids and sit around and do kid things? We were told to not go to St. George because it was mostly a slow paced retirement community, very different from Salt Lake City.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 09:53 AM

762 posts, read 2,002,515 times
Provo and Ogden have just as many summer outdoor activities as the SL area, though there are not as many ski resorts nearby so there is less to do outdoors in the winter. Neither has much of a dining or arts scene (compared to Salt Lake, anyway), if you'd like concerts, galleries, museums, and other cultural activities nearby, and there are no professional sports teams to speak of (at least in SL-area you have Jazz and Real games). I have heard that Utah County has a strong MMA following, but I'm not personally familiar with it.

There are a lot of young people in Provo, but many will likely be LDS and pretty entrenched in their church-related social activities. While people will undoubtedly be friendly, they will not make time to participate in additional activities outside of the many church ones they already have. This will not be an issue in Ogden, overall.

Both cities are very family-friendly, so yes---there will be many "kids" things going on all the time. Salt Lake has it, too, but SLC also has an active nightlife and social scene for single people... who are not LDS (because Provo certainly has an active social scene for single people... it's just church-focused). In my experience, young married folks without children like amenities similar to young single people (maybe with fewer bar nights, however!), so I'd still encourage you to stick with SLC proper.

In short, Ogden could still be a decent option, though, for the right young couple. Provo, no.

And St. George? It's full of two groups: retirees who golf, shop, or go to Mesquite, and college students at Dixie. Not an ideal place for a young couple or family.

Old 08-29-2013, 02:25 PM

25,958 posts, read 26,921,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsk42 View Post
We are from the midwest and have never lived out west. We do not drink, rarely party (unless it's board games or something), and are mostly looking to find a final place for a family eventually.

That said, we're 29, VERY active in basically any athletic sport or activity, love anything MMA, and are generally very involved with people our age or younger in activities.

We visited SLC and did almost everything it has to offer in the summer and loved it. What I'm wondering is:

How different is Provo and Ogden?
I've heard (horror) stories of how they're a LOT more Mormon and it changes the city a lot. They're obviously smaller, so will there still be activities and groups around to do stuff with? Does everyone just have kids and sit around and do kid things? We were told to not go to St. George because it was mostly a slow paced retirement community, very different from Salt Lake City.
You would definitely like Ogden better than Provo, but I suspect you'd like Salt Lake better than either of them.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:15 PM

404 posts, read 1,122,962 times
And don't forget Provo is the home of BYU

Old 09-02-2013, 10:24 AM

601 posts, read 1,829,632 times
Don't forget that Utah and all the cities were founded by Mormons and that explains the culture and why there are so many members.

You can't move to Israel and expect "not too many Jews". Same thing.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:30 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,643,596 times
Frankly, I think it would be impossible to find a place in Utah that wasn't good for outdoorsy people. This is a fantastic state for playing outside.

I know a number of people who moved to Provo and left within a year. Obviously you should expect to be around a lot of Mormons in Utah, but Provo is really Mormon. I think SLC is pretty fantastic. You're close to downtown if you want all the amenities that come with a larger downtown, but you're also just 20 minutes from a number of ski resorts, you're right near the mountains with tons of hiking trails, you're not far from a gorgeous desert, and it's still affordable (especially in some of the nice suburbs).

I don't know Ogden as well as I do SLC, but I do think it's very nice. I would suggest that you move to SLC for a year and rent an apartment, then drive around and see what cities you like the most. Get a feel for the different areas so that when you decide to set down roots, you won't end up regretting it a couple years later.

But I really wouldn't suggest a move to Provo.

Old 10-04-2013, 01:07 PM

2 posts, read 10,497 times
Default Many outdoor & sports options available in Provo

Provo, while having a LOT of younger families due to college students, also has older families as well. The closer you live to BYU, the younger the families will be, but if you get away from that main college student hub, things quiet down and more people are involved. I have family who I would describe the same way as you described yourself--they love the outdoors and are involved in every sport. There are a plethera of intramural sports options available--ultimate frisbee, soccer, flag football, you name it. Neighboring Orem and Spanish Fork have fantastic sports options as well, so my family usually travels the valley to participate in all the sports they enjoy.

The nice thing about the location of Provo is that it is a bit closer to the Moab/St. George area, making weekend trips for hiking a little more likely. It also has access to the Canyon, where you can rock climb, hike, ski, etc. go to Alpine Loop and do tons of camping, hiking, biking, etc.

That being said (I grew up in Provo), Ogden is just as beautiful, nature wise, as Provo, and has amazing access to all the same things I mentioned above. Ditto to the mention of a livelier night life. You just won't find a night life in Provo. After 9!!! My husband and I, LDS and living in Orem, are always shocked when we finally get out of the house for a date and realize that everything except gas stations, the rec center and Wendy's is closed. We often choose the Rec Center for that reason, lol. Not exactly the most exciting times. But things ARE calmer and safer. So you pick and choose. Good luck! Both are great places to live!

Old 10-13-2013, 03:50 PM

1 posts, read 8,398 times
If you are an outdoorsy person, Utah is definitely going to be a great place for you. Great mountain biking/hiking in the summer, skiing in the winter. Zions and Bryce Canyon are beautiful destinations within a few hours of Ogden, SLC, or Provo.j
I have lived in Utah all my life (25 years) primarily in Sandy and Salt Lake City. Ogden is typically known as the "armpit" of the valley, and if you are not LDS, I would strongly recommend not living in Provo. Not that LDS people aren't friendly, but the majority of the town is completely shut down on Sundays, and it could definitely be harder to make friends if you aren't mormon. I would look into the SLC suburbs.. Being in your late 20's and wanting to settle down, I would look into the Sugar House area. There are great little homes, it is on the east side and therefore close to canyons, and it is extremely close to downtown SLC. The East Millcreek area is also great. It would be a slightly older community, but there is currently a lot of turnover in the homes with many young couples living there. Daybreak would be another option. It is a new community with its own restaurants, walking trails, etc. It is definitely considered the "up and coming place to be". Best of luck!

Old 10-14-2013, 03:00 PM

10 posts, read 217,915 times
Yep, Utah is definitely the place for anyone who loves the great outdoors, but....anywhere you decide to live in the Salt Lake Valley (SLC is probably the best out of the 3) you will encounter the winter inversion. During the months of November, December and January, the air in the valley will become warmer than the air aloft which traps the pollutants in the Salt Lake Valley and creates the worst air quality in the nation. Last winter we had a lot of RED AIR days with one stretch lasting 3 weeks. During those days/weeks, the local news advises children, seniors and anyone with lung problems to stay indoors. I walk about a half mile or more to work and back from my parking area and on red air days, I wear a mask. We have a wood burning fireplace, but we can hardly use it because the days we want to have a nice cozy fire going is usually a red air day which means it's illegal to burn anything.

Just some FYI...

Old 10-15-2013, 11:50 PM

973 posts, read 2,039,574 times
I'm a Midwestern girl, ne Ohio. Married a central eastern Ohio boy. Ohio for 32 years of our life. 2 kids, and we moved to a burb of slc, Utah, blind. As usual, Katz, is spot on!

We moved, blind, to a burb of slc, Utah. I knew no one. I now, LOVE it here! Almost 7 years! My kids are Utahans. I don't want to move from my hood.

We are NOT LDS, everyone in our ward knows, and doesn't care (on the flip side, hubby plays bball at the stake church so much, another ward has asked to 'recruit' him, to join their ward. Lol) .

Ds is newly 10, and a webelo. Hubby and I run the bear cub scouts for our ward. dd is newly 9, and has been talking about the cow dad/dd dance for activity days for 8-11yo girls this Friday! Dd is excited to go!

Come with an open heart and mind!

Family is huge here. I love that. I admit, I attend many events at the local LDS church, and we are extremely well received non converting Catholics. Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah