Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 09:06 AM

973 posts, read 2,141,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Hey, BuckeyezRule. I'm just wondering... Before you moved to Utah, did you have concerns about how you might be treated by the LDS majority? Surely, you must have been "warned" about how your kids would be shunned, etc. Was this move one you wanted to make or was it more or less a case of your having little choice about the move and so you decied to try to make the best of it?
Actually, Katz, we had the choices of 5 other cities, and chose slc. Sure, we were teased by people before we moved, and I did have one family who basically shunned us (when we moved) after we declined to convert. My neighbor here was very upset by this as well. She is LDS, but would never pressure anyone. She's just a person, like I am. and I adore her. I didn't let the one family tarnish my view.

Besides them, we've been treated great. I love all the events at the local church. Like I've said, it feels like a neighborhood family. We have a Halloween chili cook off in 2 weeks, and a fun daddy/daughter cowboy/girl dance the day before! Dd is excited! I just love seeing familiar faces there and at school. We wave at anyone who drives down our road. Just love it here. and, forgive my smiles, since, they are annoying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 09:12 AM

Ps OT, did everyone get an inch of wet snow too? It's almost melted now, but, woke up to white. Lol

Old 10-04-2013, 09:15 AM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyezRule View Post
Actually, Katz, we had the choices of 5 other cities, and chose slc. Sure, we were teased by people before we moved, and I did have one family who basically shunned us (when we moved) after we declined to convert. My neighbor here was very upset by this as well. She is LDS, but would never pressure anyone. She's just a person, like I am. and I adore her. I didn't let the one family tarnish my view.

Besides them, we've been treated great. I love all the events at the local church. Like I've said, it feels like a neighborhood family. We have a Halloween chili cook off in 2 weeks, and a fun daddy/daughter cowboy/girl dance the day before! Dd is excited! I just love seeing familiar faces there and at school. We wave at anyone who drives down our road. Just love it here. and, forgive my smiles, since, they are annoying.
Never feel the need to apologize for smiling, Buck! I had no problem whatsover reading your post.

I'm curious again, though -- if you don't mind -- what went into your decision to move here in the first place? Was the the outdoor recreational opportunities? Better job opportunities? Lifestyle and values of the population? Our beautiful winters with crystal clear air?

Old 10-04-2013, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Never feel the need to apologize for smiling, Buck! I had no problem whatsover reading your post.

I'm curious again, though -- if you don't mind -- what went into your decision to move here in the first place? Was the the outdoor recreational opportunities? Better job opportunities? Lifestyle and values of the population? Our beautiful winters with crystal clear air?
Hubby's job. He actually applied for and got a promotion to Atlanta (I underestimated him, I never would've lived there) and we turned it down. Other places were Seattle, Dallas, Indy, and Modesto. And slc. No brainier. Seattle was 2nd choice, but cost of living. And I don't love rain. Lol if I could stand hot weather, the south cities would've been fine, I just prefer cooler weather.

Old 10-14-2013, 03:27 PM

10 posts, read 220,147 times
Four season, yeah, but... winter lasts for about 7 months (you're taking a chance if you plant anything in the ground before Memorial Day), spring lasts about 7 days if you're lucky, summer is about 3 months long and hot (52 days above 95 degrees this summer) and fall lasts about 2 months.

And there's one issue that people tend to miss: during the 7 months of winter, there'll be a good many RED AIR Alert days. Last winter was a bad one. We had one RED AIR stretch that lasted 3 weeks. During those days/weeks, children, seniors and anyone with breathing or lung problems are advised to stay indoors. This valley is a bowl. Cold air above traps the warm air below and the longer the cold air stays above, the more polluted the air in the valley gets.

Old 10-14-2013, 05:05 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times
Quote:
Four season, yeah, but... winter lasts for about 7 months (you're taking a chance if you plant anything in the ground before Memorial Day), spring lasts about 7 days if you're lucky, summer is about 3 months long and hot (52 days above 95 degrees this summer) and fall lasts about 2 months.

And there's one issue that people tend to miss: during the 7 months of winter, there'll be a good many RED AIR Alert days. Last winter was a bad one. We had one RED AIR stretch that lasted 3 weeks. During those days/weeks, children, seniors and anyone with breathing or lung problems are advised to stay indoors. This valley is a bowl. Cold air above traps the warm air below and the longer the cold air stays above, the more polluted the air in the valley gets.
Oh, that's a bit of an exaggeration.

I'd say along the Wasatch Front that summer lasts from June through September 15th. Autumn lasts from September 16th through November 24th. Winter lasts from November 25th through March 20th. Spring lasts from March 21st through the end of May. These are rough approximations. However, that's approximately four months of winter and approximately three and one-half months of summer.

No doubt, though, the inversions are bad and getting worse. No one talks seriously about doing anything about them and sooner or later we may have air that is literally unbreathable. This is a huge concern to me.

Old 10-29-2013, 10:35 AM

10 posts, read 220,147 times
Maybe I'm looking at things through a "gardener's view," but when it's cold and I'm wearing a heavy coat in early November, it's Winter, man. And it does NOT start to fade in late March. March is when we get the most snow. And we ALWAYS get some snow in the valley in May as well. This past Winter (Spring) I was wearing a heavy leather coat until the middle of May and then all of a sudden it was in the 90's. In 2012, the ski resorts stayed open until July 4th.

Old 10-29-2013, 02:38 PM

835 posts, read 2,076,438 times
March is the snowiest month in the mountains, not the valley, from a climatological standpoint.
The only ski resort that stays open past mid April is Snowbird and they switch to weekends only in mid to late May depending upon snow pack.
I have yet to even get the jackets out of the basement this Fall so the "wearing a heavy coat" is dependent upon the "wearer" I guess.
My garden is still going strong and I just finished roasting the tomatillos that I picked this morning too.

Old 10-29-2013, 04:28 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,972,575 times
I am ALWAYS cold...and I do mean, ALWAYS. I hate winter with a passion and I still have yet to break out my heavy coat. Maybe it is denial...if I don't wear the coat, it means that winter hasn't hit yet.

The past few years in March, the beginning of March was quite nice and the end of March it turned chilly again. I know this because I remember thinking that Utah has the saying backwards..."In like a lion, out like a lamb".

Old 11-02-2013, 05:53 PM

13 posts, read 23,044 times
Our pollution in Dallas is bad and we always have an alert to stay indoors.....the weather will suck the breath out of you too. We will be staying in Salt Lake City from right after Christmas to right after NY. I am looking forward to getting out of Texas. We are looking for the best place to move our family next summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah