U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2007, 07:30 AM

6 posts, read 20,789 times

Advertisements

SALT LAKE CITY - There are fewer Mormons living in Utah today than ever before, the Salt Lake Tribune reported Sunday. In fact, the last time the state's percentage of LDS members was this low, the Mormon pioneers had just entered the valley in 1847.

(read more)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 08:27 AM

77 posts, read 405,891 times
I can't say that surprises me..Things change, life changes....I know in the cities where I grew up in Ca. aren't the same as they were 50 years ago....It is a total Asian community now in that area......I am not complaining, just showing an example that things change everywhere...

Old 11-19-2007, 08:47 AM

1,818 posts, read 7,289,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracejy View Post
SALT LAKE CITY - There are fewer Mormons living in Utah today than ever before, the Salt Lake Tribune reported Sunday. In fact, the last time the state's percentage of LDS members was this low, the Mormon pioneers had just entered the valley in 1847.

(read more)
Actually I don’t think the article is correct. I have heard there are more Mormons than ever living in Utah. However, the percentage of active LDS is lower, because more and more non-LDS are moving. These numbers are purely hypothetical, but say in 1860 there were 50,000 people in Utah, and 45,000 were Mormons. That puts the LDS population at 90%. Now in 2007, say there are 2.5 million people in Utah, and 1.5 million are LDS. There are obviously way more than before, but the percentage is only 60 percent. A lot more diluted.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:35 AM

62 posts, read 234,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
Actually I don’t think the article is correct. I have heard there are more Mormons than ever living in Utah. However, the percentage of active LDS is lower, because more and more non-LDS are moving. These numbers are purely hypothetical, but say in 1860 there were 50,000 people in Utah, and 45,000 were Mormons. That puts the LDS population at 90%. Now in 2007, say there are 2.5 million people in Utah, and 1.5 million are LDS. There are obviously way more than before, but the percentage is only 60 percent. A lot more diluted.
The numbers quoted in the newspaper are based on Census numbers and Church records. The Church records, however, do not distinguish between active and inactive members.

You are correct about the "numbers" of LDS in the state being much higher because of the higher number of people living here. The article in the newspaper was about percentages though - not numbers of LDS vs non. It specifically stated that the percentage of LDS vs non has declined to the lowest in the history of the state.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:54 PM

242 posts, read 1,039,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaceepc View Post
The numbers quoted in the newspaper are based on Census numbers and Church records. The Church records, however, do not distinguish between active and inactive members.

You are correct about the "numbers" of LDS in the state being much higher because of the higher number of people living here. The article in the newspaper was about percentages though - not numbers of LDS vs non. It specifically stated that the percentage of LDS vs non has declined to the lowest in the history of the state.
Actually the church doesn't count you as a member if you are inactive for a certain length of time. So coolcats is correct.

Old 11-19-2007, 05:53 PM

62 posts, read 234,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie-Rabbit View Post
Actually the church doesn't count you as a member if you are inactive for a certain length of time. So coolcats is correct.
I don't see anywhere in my post where I said coolcats was incorrect. Do you?

Old 11-19-2007, 07:58 PM

242 posts, read 1,039,794 times
The way you [phrased your first sentence, then went on to say "You are correct" in the next gives the impression the first sentence was saying you are incorrect. Semantics aside, I just gave some information on how the censues are taken by the church. Not worth getting undies getting twisted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
View detailed profiles of: