Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 03:52 PM

3 posts, read 10,003 times

Advertisements

Hi Gang -

I never thought I would post something on a board like this, but as I prepare to bring my family to Utah, I need facts and not religious mumbo-jumbo. I respect people by their actions, not how "higher" stature people/organizations tell them to act.

Now, I have an 8-year-old son and a 16-year-old daughter, along with my beautiful wife that I will be moving out to Utah in the coming weeks. I accepted a fantastic position in Draper, and so far love the people and the area, however, I am in a hotel, so no real "socializing" is occurring. I am preparing to look at houses in the Lehi and Saratoga Springs area, and through various online research about the area and school systems, I want to believe we can make the best of it. The division of two different areas by an imaginary county line has me slightly concerned.

My kids are currently in the public school system back home, and their schools are rated 9 out of 10 and 10 out of 10, respectively, from greatschools.org. I understand the families here are larger, which population is taken into account for school scoring, so I have come to the conclusion that the education level may not be as cohesive, which just means we will work harder while they are at home. My questions are: what are Lehi High and/or Westlake High like for a 16-year-old non-LDS girl who loves softball and cheerleading? And what are the elementary and middle schools like for an 8-year-old non-LDS boy that loves football, basketball and playing video games?

The touchy subject of non-LDS and LDS I don't want to get into as it has been exhusted on so many of these forums, but those were all from 2006 - what is it like for a Midwestern family with exceptional values and will do anything for their neighbor; to live in Lehi and Saratoga Springs in 2014?

We are not partiers, or huge socialites, but would like for our kids to be able to ride bikes or shoot hoops with kids their own age when we move in, and not have to explain to my 8-year-old why the boy/girl next door parents said they could no longer ride bikes together because we are not of the same belief system (purely referencing comments of this sort from other posts and conversations I have had with co-workers).

My LDS co-workers have been very honest and transparent about the religion and the people, and I can't thank them enough for that. And just because they are LDS, I don't look at them differently or treat them differently - they are cool people. Hoping for more cool people to answer this for me .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2014, 07:10 PM

25,713 posts, read 18,788,778 times
I would not ask about anything in Utah Valley on this forum. Nearly all the responders will be located in the Salt Lake or Ogden area, and nearly all the responders will slam Utah County. There seems to be a giant (whether it's real or just something that is largely fabricated here on this forum, I don't know) social "rift" that occurs right about at the Point of the Mountain. To the north, you have the cool, suave, in, social mavens, and to the south, you have the modern day equivalent of the close-minded Spanish Inquisition. Or so you will be told on this forum, I'm sure.

I won't say much about it personally, but I will say that I have been living in Utah Valley the better part of my life (I'm 51 years old), I'm not particularly religious and not part of the "Mormon Culture" that supposedly dominates everyone's daily lives south of the Point of the Mountain... and yet, I've never had any hint of a problem living in the Provo area. No torches and pitchforks at my door. No B of M thumping maniacs threatening bodily harm if I choose not to participate. None of it.

Other than I wish the population was at 1975 levels, I've never had a problem with folks in this area. And for the record, I would not live north of the point of the mountain if you bought my house, flat-out gave me half a million per year for doing nothing, and put a toy poodle in my back yard. But... that's just me. They're just way to cool for me up there in the big city.

Ultimately, I would only take advice and description of the Lehi area and schools from someone who actually lives right there and has been there long enough to give an informed opinion. Getting advice on Lehi or Utah Valley from SLC or Ogden residents is like asking a Korean for advice about Japan.

Old 02-02-2014, 10:13 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,374,088 times
Westlake High is in Saratoga Springs, and its a nice small city. I can not really give you any info on the schools as I home school right now. Anyways welcome to Utah and congrats on the new job.

Old 02-02-2014, 10:51 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringingittoUT View Post
Hi Gang -

I never thought I would post something on a board like this, but as I prepare to bring my family to Utah, I need facts and not religious mumbo-jumbo. I respect people by their actions, not how "higher" stature people/organizations tell them to act.

Now, I have an 8-year-old son and a 16-year-old daughter, along with my beautiful wife that I will be moving out to Utah in the coming weeks. I accepted a fantastic position in Draper, and so far love the people and the area, however, I am in a hotel, so no real "socializing" is occurring. I am preparing to look at houses in the Lehi and Saratoga Springs area, and through various online research about the area and school systems, I want to believe we can make the best of it. The division of two different areas by an imaginary county line has me slightly concerned.

My kids are currently in the public school system back home, and their schools are rated 9 out of 10 and 10 out of 10, respectively, from greatschools.org. I understand the families here are larger, which population is taken into account for school scoring, so I have come to the conclusion that the education level may not be as cohesive, which just means we will work harder while they are at home. My questions are: what are Lehi High and/or Westlake High like for a 16-year-old non-LDS girl who loves softball and cheerleading? And what are the elementary and middle schools like for an 8-year-old non-LDS boy that loves football, basketball and playing video games?

The touchy subject of non-LDS and LDS I don't want to get into as it has been exhusted on so many of these forums, but those were all from 2006 - what is it like for a Midwestern family with exceptional values and will do anything for their neighbor; to live in Lehi and Saratoga Springs in 2014?

We are not partiers, or huge socialites, but would like for our kids to be able to ride bikes or shoot hoops with kids their own age when we move in, and not have to explain to my 8-year-old why the boy/girl next door parents said they could no longer ride bikes together because we are not of the same belief system (purely referencing comments of this sort from other posts and conversations I have had with co-workers).

My LDS co-workers have been very honest and transparent about the religion and the people, and I can't thank them enough for that. And just because they are LDS, I don't look at them differently or treat them differently - they are cool people. Hoping for more cool people to answer this for me .
I am very likely one of those posters that ChrisC is referring to.

A few kind words for ChrisC first. He actually does live in Utah County and I don't doubt his sincerity for a moment. He's a long time CDF poster and I would take what he says very seriously.

I do dispute his statement though that asking one of us for advice about moving to Utah County is like asking what we would think of moving to Korea or Japan. This is not true. I routinely come down to Utah County for business reasons. I've traveled through there an average of at least once a month over a period of years. I've been to events at BYU. I've been to events at Utah Valley University. My sister went to college at BYU. I also am familiar with recreational opportunities up the canyons.

Now, to the meat of it. You would be better moving your family into Draper (where you are going to work) than moving south to Utah County. Here are just few things about Utah County that might be helpful for you to know:

1. The county is about 80% LDS.

2. The county is very conservative both socially and politically.

3. BYU is a large university and dominates the county in most ways.

Personally, I think new people moving into the state who are not LDS should begin in a more diverse community. Salt Lake County is about 60% LDS and you'll have all kinds of neighbors. You'll live next to active LDS people, inactive LDS people, non-LDS people, and even maybe a few atheists or agnostics. I think the culture shock of moving into a place like Draper is going to be considerably less than that of moving into Saratoga Springs or another Utah County community.

If you spend a few years in Draper and really like it, than you might want to consider moving south to Saratoga Springs.

BTW, this issue has been discussed at length here and I'm repeating what I strongly believe is the "consensus view of the forum". I might also point out that a number of LDS people (including myself) who live here in Utah have stated that we would never move to Utah County because we feel its a bit too much, even for us.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:38 PM

3 posts, read 10,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post

Now, to the meat of it. You would be better moving your family into Draper (where you are going to work) than moving south to Utah County. Here are just few things about Utah County that might be helpful for you to know:

1. The county is about 80% LDS.

2. The county is very conservative both socially and politically.

3. BYU is a large university and dominates the county in most ways.

Personally, I think new people moving into the state who are not LDS should begin in a more diverse community. Salt Lake County is about 60% LDS and you'll have all kinds of neighbors. You'll live next to active LDS people, inactive LDS people, non-LDS people, and even maybe a few atheists or agnostics. I think the culture shock of moving into a place like Draper is going to be considerably less than that of moving into Saratoga Springs or another Utah County community.

If you spend a few years in Draper and really like it, than you might want to consider moving south to Saratoga Springs.

BTW, this issue has been discussed at length here and I'm repeating what I strongly believe is the "consensus view of the forum". I might also point out that a number of LDS people (including myself) who live here in Utah have stated that we would never move to Utah County because we feel its a bit too much, even for us.
Thank you for you insight and breakdown. I am aware the percentage is not in our favor, but we cannot afford a house in Salt Lake County, let alone Draper. Everything seems to be a short sale with multiple offers. I am dragging my realtor to Lehi on Saturday, and if one of the homes fits the bill, I do plan to be candid and walk to the neighbors and get a feel for there thoughts on the 'hood and the community. I will then explain who we are and look for honest answers, hopefully from honest people. I have no shame and nothing to hide. I just want to live in a place we can call home, with neighbors we can trust and schools that will teach. I just can't believe how hard this is in today's age.

Old 02-05-2014, 07:54 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times
Quote:
Thank you for you insight and breakdown. I am aware the percentage is not in our favor, but we cannot afford a house in Salt Lake County, let alone Draper. Everything seems to be a short sale with multiple offers. I am dragging my realtor to Lehi on Saturday, and if one of the homes fits the bill, I do plan to be candid and walk to the neighbors and get a feel for there thoughts on the 'hood and the community. I will then explain who we are and look for honest answers, hopefully from honest people. I have no shame and nothing to hide. I just want to live in a place we can call home, with neighbors we can trust and schools that will teach. I just can't believe how hard this is in today's age.
My advice would be to consider the West Jordan/ South Jordan area if you can't afford Draper. I still think its a better alternative for someone who is non-LDS.

There may well be individual neighborhoods in Utah County where non-LDS people are comfortable. However, we have had a number of a non-LDS people who moved to Utah County say they were miserable there who have posted on this very forum.

Your idea of walking around the neighborhood and talking to people is not a bad one. However, many people may not feel totally secure talking to a stranger and may paint a rosier picture than the one that actually exists. Just keep that in mind if you pursue that strategy.

I will wish you the very best.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:19 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,853,608 times
Quote:
I do plan to be candid and walk to the neighbors and get a feel for there thoughts on the 'hood and the community. I will then explain who we are and look for honest answers, hopefully from honest people. I have no shame and nothing to hide. I just want to live in a place we can call home, with neighbors we can trust and schools that will teach.
When we moved *here* (Salt Lake City area), we asked why they were selling, and the wife mentioned that they did not like one of their neighbours !!! We did not care, so we still bought the house ! We still, after umpteen years, do not have any contact with those people she did not like .... Maybe because there is 75 feet between their and our house... ?

Talking to your future neighbours would be a good thing, because it is like you are the one taking the first step to introduce yourself.

Speaking to people who already live there, might be akin to asking a waitress what dish to order.
I doubt if she/he will say, *Oh boy, do NOT order this or that dish ...*
So be careful !

I think the Lehi area might be *not as bad as *deep into Utah County* ??
We, from across the pond, have a saying ... Not half bad ...

Welcome to Utah !

Old 02-21-2014, 01:47 PM

243 posts, read 628,897 times
I used to live in American Fork and worked in Lehi. I also attended some remote UVU classes at Westlake High. The north Utah County area is a great place to live and you and your family will fit right in. There are older parts of Lehi that seem run down, but the people are still nice for the most park (some are kind of redneck). But if you look in the newer parts of Lehi, Highland, and Alpine, you will find excellent family oriented neighborhoods and great schools. Sounds like your family will fit right in. The LDS people will be super friendly to you for the most part, although they may try to convert you. They definitely mean well. Good luck.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:53 AM

4 posts, read 6,088 times
I was raised in provo my whole life, before getting married and then we moved away to work for the military. We've lived all over, even twice overseas. An unexpected tragedy brought our family back to Utah where we had family support. We chose to live in Lehi because it was still close to our family support in provo, orem, pleasant grove and draper, but my husband had to commute to tooele. I had the worst attitude about moving here. But, my experience in Lehi has been better than I expected. Here is what I like: a sense of community. There are city parties, and community programs that have created a feeling of home for us. Our kids participate in sports and extracurriculars at the legacy center, they joined the literacy center reading group, and do other privately paid lessons that have turned out to be fantastic. There are community centers dotted in nearby cities who all have great indoor pools and recreation, and of course sledding and skiing is exciting for kids in winter. Nothing is all that far away, so you can take advantage of cultural opportunities all over the place without much effort (or traffic or expense), but the cost of living is very affordable in lehi, so you can get good value housing wise. I don't have kids as old as yours, but I have found lehi to be more diverse belief wise than provo where I grew up, so I wouldn't imagine that would be a problem. For example of the seven houses on my street, there are 2 LDS families. That may not be typical, I don't know, but that has been our experience. And people are just general polite and friendly here. After moving around, I really appreciate that. Good luck with your decisions and your move...

Old 03-06-2014, 06:47 PM

25,713 posts, read 18,788,778 times
Another thing you might want to check (if it matters to you) is the crime rates for the cities/towns in the Salt Lake Valley and the crime rates for the cities/towns in Utah Valley a bit more closely. For some, it doesn't really matter much. But for me, it's quite important and gives a better feel for the types of people that potentially have to be tolerated or encountered (at least statistically). Down in my neck of the woods, there's very little as far as gang sorts of things or super-run-down neighborhoods that are scary--although a few areas are close. But, at least in my opinion, nothing nearly as "rough" as some areas up north of the point of the mountain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah