Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2014, 09:17 PM

9 posts, read 16,733 times

Advertisements

My husband, our 2 young kids and I are wanting to move to the Heber/Midway/Kamas/Oakley area. We are very familiar with Heber City and Midway but not so much with Kamas and Oakley. We will be taking a trip up to Utah (we are currently in Phoenix) to check out towns and houses in a few months. I'd like to try to learn a little more about the area before we go.

It seems like Oakley doesn't have much of a "town" meaning markets or restaurants, is this true?

Are there schools in Oakley? Elementary,jr. high, high school?

What all is in Oakley aside from houses?

Is Oakley mostly vacation homes?

Kamas seems to have a little more of a "town" feel, is this true?

In Kamas would one have to leave town on a daily basis to run simple errands? (Aside from commuting to work. My husband works but I stay home full time with the kids)

Do you have an opinion of which is prettier or nicer? We are looking for country but not trashy.

We are thinking these towns may be a good place to buy a home because prices are still low but the area seems to be growing fast. Do you agree?

Any input you have would be awesome! Even if you can't answer every question (sorry I have so many!). Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 01:36 PM

243 posts, read 629,016 times
Personally I wouldn't mind living in either Kamas or Oakley. They are very similar. Kamas is a little bigger and has a gas station with a couple restaurants and a general store. I don't think Oakley has anything like that. Either way all your shopping will be done in Heber or Park City. Oakley is all old timers and people's cabins. Both towns are beautiful and are minutes from excellent fishing, hunting, hiking, and general outdoor enjoyment. Oakley is better for country not trashy, although I wouldn't say Kamas is trashy either.

Old 02-24-2014, 07:55 AM

Thank you for your feedback! Can't wait to really check out the area for myself!

Old 03-02-2014, 09:17 AM

25,732 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Both towns were farming communities that have turned (more or less) into bedroom communities, weekend cabin hotspots for the metro areas, and a bit of a touristy-flavored area. Yes, they are still fairly small, pretty towns in a beautiful high mountain valley. But you should have seen them 30 years ago before the metro influence was so heavy and when they were both inhabited by mainly local ranchers, farmers, and small business people. What a gorgeous area!

Because the elevation is so high, you will have the blessing of a bit cooler weather in the summer. In the winter... well, you'll have cooler weather then as well. And more snow. As has been mentioned, there is all kinds of recreation just to the east in the Uinta mountains. Some of the higher campgrounds can get snow in July and August (happened to me once) and nightly ice on the lakes!

Old 03-06-2014, 09:16 AM

Thanks ChrisC! I am very excited for cooler summers and lots and lots of snow in the winter!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
View detailed profiles of: