Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2014, 09:53 PM

157 posts, read 300,488 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move to the area and are hoping to focus before a scouting trip next month and would really appreciate any comments or advice on the areas above. I searched the forums but there isn't much describing Jordanelle or Midway and it seems the Heber posts are many years old... Any feedback would be really helpful.

Telecommuting, with occasional trips (maybe once a month) to the SLC airport so we are flexible on location. We have had a thirty below winter at home, so will be comfortable with what I have seen of the winter weather there. Snow is welcome, but ninety degree temps are not. :-)

We are flexible and plan to rent at first, but ideally would like to buy a house to settle down for the long haul. Prefer to spend under $500k but could go higher if necessary.

About us
Married couple in late 30s with 4 year old
Planning to homeschool but would like neighborhood school to be good
Not religious but don't drink, smoke, or even drink coffee and are happy with our lives
Zero interest in being converted but happy to have kid play with any nice kids
Very tolerant of other views
Love hiking, skiing, biking, pretty much anything outside
Very easygoing, not concerned with labels or displays of wealth prestige
We do not need much space but enjoy privacy. Little concerned about small town reputations for everyone being in everyone else's business. (I don't want to know my neighbor's gossip. Much rather be positive.)

Dream neighborhood
Place where locals live year round
Nice kids of mixed ages playing together
Low to no drugs, crime, smoking
Clean
Near to Park City or other place with great kid activities
Nice rec center nearby
15 min or less to groceries
Access to trails, skiing
Nice library
Above the inversion with clean air
Within an hour or 45 min of airport
Stay at home moms (or dads) welcome and not judged
Would really love to not have to drive many places, but this is probably an unrealistic wish in any of these places...
Sunshine
Not too windy

Dream house...
In a neighborhood of nice kids
At least 3 bedroom, 2 bath
2000 sq feet
.25 acre or near parks or open space
2 car garage
A view would be nice

The above is a huge wishlist. We are willing to make a lot of compromises, especially on the house, but thought it might help narrow things. Really our priority is helping our child grow in a nice safe community with generally nice kids, access to some community resources, clean air, and snow to play in!

Feedback on homeschooling resources and groups in these areas is also very welcome!

Last edited by canewbie; 02-15-2014 at 10:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 10:14 PM

Default Typo

Sorry title should be Midway, not Midvale. Sorry about that. Edit won't let me fix it.

Old 02-17-2014, 05:48 PM

9 posts, read 16,662 times
I have not lived in this area but I am familiar with Heber and Midway. I lived in Springville just on the other side of the mountains a little to the south. My husband and I always LOVED Heber and Midway and are actually planning on moving to the area this summer.

Your list for a dream neighborhood and dream house are very realistic for Heber and Midway. You basically just described Heber City. The only thing on your list that may be hard is living somewhere where you won't have to drive much. It is not impossible though, there are many houses near the little down town area of Heber where you could walk to school, library, etc.

Park City will be a little more flashy and materialistic than the other places mentioned.

Your worries about knowing the towns gossip because it is small is not at all my experience in Utah. We have lived in small towns with tight knit communities. In our neighborhood it wasn't that we knew their "gossip" but we knew if they were in need so we could help (illness, surgery, or just leaving on vacation). When there is a big storm there is a good chance your side walk and driveway will be shoveled before you can get to it.

I don't know if any of that helps, but it seems like Heber City or Midway would be a perfect fit!

Old 02-17-2014, 06:24 PM

That is great to hear. We are happy to help our neighbors (& often anonymously shovel for our neighbors or take their garbage cans out for them here), so it sounds like a nice fit. We will keep them on our list to check out.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:42 AM

8 posts, read 40,745 times
To be sure, Heber Valley would be your dream destination. I love Southern California, but would gladly choose the Heber/Midway towns as a second home if possible. You will find the scenery jaw droppingly spectacular and so close to the major amenities of booming Downtown Salt Lake City. Also, the people are generally very warm, sincere, and friendly. It's very plausible for you and your spouse to have a date night into Park City or Salt Lake, yet live in your own little small town atmosphere. My only worry is that a lot of people will be discovering the same things about Heber Valley that we have. I hear the area is growing very rapidly, because of it's spectacular setting and proximity to Park City and Salt Lake's International Airport. Oh well, I guess Metro Salt Lake has a lot of other beautiful valleys to the east of Salt Lake City also.

Old 02-21-2014, 02:40 PM

243 posts, read 626,205 times
Just to be clear, any place in the Heber Valley will still go over 90 degrees in the summers, so be prepared for that. You likely won't get a whole lot higher than 90 very often, only a handful of days each summer. Midway is a great place if you can afford it, it has definitely become a more yuppie kind of place in the last 20 years. I would say Midway fits your bill better than Heber does, but Heber is also great. Park City doesn't fit your bill because it isn't quite as family oriented. Lots of renters and lots of seasonal people due to the resorts.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:24 PM

What are the neighborhoods around Jordanelle like? Is it more like Park City or Heber City?

Old 02-23-2014, 11:38 AM

243 posts, read 626,205 times
The neighborhoods around jordanelle are almost exclusively cabins. There are very few people who actually live there

Old 02-23-2014, 11:55 AM

Thanks. That is very helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah