Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 01:36 PM

5 posts, read 14,097 times

Advertisements

We're looking at houses in Tooele currently and had a few questions... I've searched all I could (lots of good info here!) but didn't find all I needed.

1) How much are utilities there? Would they be considered average? I think I read somewhere a while back that the utilities there are pretty reasonable. I may have made that up though

2) We are very seriously looking at the "Down payment Assistance Program" offered by the Tooele County Housing Authority. It basically looks like if you meet certain requirements you can get up to $3,000 to help with a down payment. Anybody have any experience with this? Is it a fairly easy process?

3) USDA Rural Housing Guaranteed Loan. Is this loan used quite a bit with home buyers in Tooele County? Looks like a great deal to me. Anybody have experience with it? The only thing it seems like could be an issue (maybe not in Utah) is that I've seen some complaints nationwide just about how it can take a long time to get everything squared away, some people saying they lost the house they wanted because it took too long. Any experience here with that?

Thanks! Feel free to share any other pertinent information, tips, etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 04:47 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,970,733 times
I live in Stansbury Park. My utilities are on equal payment, so probably not the best way to figure average. I am also always cold in the winter so I keep my heat a bit higher than most people would like it. My husband is always hot in the summer, so he keeps the AC lower than most people would like it :/ My equal pay for gas is $70/month and for electric it is about $100ish/month.

Anyway, I am sorry I don't have much info about the loan options, but if you have any other questions about Tooele County, I would be happy to help.

Old 02-28-2014, 06:08 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,810,038 times
A sister of mine lives in Tooele and reports the utility rates are the same as Salt Lake City - low. That's something you'll find all across Utah when comparing rates with neighboring states.

My Winter utility rates (central heat):
Gas $100
Electric $60
Water $20
Sewer/Garbage $20

My Summer utility rates (central air):
Gas $20
Electric $100
Water $50
Sewer/Garbage $20

Bill

Old 03-01-2014, 01:58 PM

Thought you might find this article interesting Tooele, UT - In Photos: America's Friendliest Towns - Forbes

Old 03-01-2014, 05:35 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdyebrasil View Post
We're looking at houses in Tooele currently and had a few questions... I've searched all I could (lots of good info here!) but didn't find all I needed.
Just make sure you know how to say Tooele correctly.

Old 03-01-2014, 11:55 PM

It's how we weed out ALL the newcomers!!

Old 03-31-2014, 12:27 PM

Thanks for all of the responses! We are currently in the process of closing on our home in Tooele. Very excited!

Another situation we have... We probably won't close on the house until early May, but both of our car registrations expire in April. I would like to register the cars in Tooele County and pay less than we would for Salt Lake County, but I'm not sure if there is a way to work that out.

Anybody have any experience with this?

Old 03-31-2014, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Just make sure you know how to say Tooele correctly.
I think that we do... unless there is some secret way to say it that only the locals know

Old 03-31-2014, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytidid View Post
Thought you might find this article interesting Tooele, UT - In Photos: America's Friendliest Towns - Forbes
Thanks for the link. When we first started looking for a house we never even thought of Tooele... but once it crossed our minds we kept coming back to it. I've been convinced for a while about it, but my wife didn't love the idea right away. Articles like that definitely help though

Old 04-02-2014, 08:19 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdyebrasil View Post
I think that we do... unless there is some secret way to say it that only the locals know
Too-WILL-uh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah