Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2007, 08:06 PM

119 posts, read 585,459 times

Advertisements

I think the title explains my question pretty well. We are driving from Price to Rapid City, SD on Saturday and I wondered if anyone had or is going to drive that way anytime soon, that can give me a report on the roads from Price, UT up 191 through Vernal, to Rock Springs, WY. The Utah road report site is a joke, seems like they only focus on the Salt Lake City area.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2007, 09:59 AM

24 posts, read 108,694 times
Default Route 191

I remember traveling that way in 1995 and it was very pretty, but some of the roads were high with no guardrails so be careful.

Old 12-27-2007, 08:25 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,589,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2penguins View Post
I think the title explains my question pretty well. We are driving from Price to Rapid City, SD on Saturday and I wondered if anyone had or is going to drive that way anytime soon, that can give me a report on the roads from Price, UT up 191 through Vernal, to Rock Springs, WY. The Utah road report site is a joke, seems like they only focus on the Salt Lake City area.

Thanks!
Well, I know this is a little late for your trip, but that section of highway is gorgeous most of the way. I drove that way this past spring, and had some snow at the top of the pass above Flaming Gorge reservoir. I'm sure in the winter there's a lot more chance of snow there. As has already been mentioned, there are places where the edge of the road just seems to drop off, and there's no guardrail. I wouldn't recommend that route if the roads are snowy or icy.

If it's wet, but not too cold, the shoulders of some of the roads can become very slippery in some of those areas, particularly the closer you get to Rock Springs. (Don't ask me how I know!)

Old 01-02-2008, 12:22 AM

119 posts, read 585,459 times
Thank you for your replies. My husband informed me after I posted this that they don't plow that section in Wyoming, so we went around the other side. We normally go on 191, so that is why I was wondering. It is a really pretty drive. The other way was also nice, but we ran into a lot of bad driving in Wyoming. and Indian Canyon on the way home. I'm glad to be done with that. lol. I told my mom we aren't driving in the winter to visit anymore, only flying!

Old 01-26-2008, 09:46 PM

398 posts, read 818,677 times
Glad you made it safely. Have driven that exact route only starting from Cedar City. My folks live in the Black Hills. In a desperate measure last Feb to see my mother I actually took the bus and I believe we were the only vehicle that made it through all the bad weather! The bus of course did not take that route, which is lovely, but long and a little too exciting with bad road conditions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah