U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 05:30 AM

13 posts, read 28,274 times

Advertisements

I had no lifelong aspirations to move to Moab. I had visited once or twice, but to be honest, I'm not into rock crawling, and I'm definitely not the outdoorsy type. I don't know a soul there, I'm single (with one old cat), and I've never lived in a small town before, so what could Moab possibly offer ME??

But then I vistied for my interview and to look at housing. And everything changed. I found that the locals are some of the kindest and most welcoming people I've met. They showed me that a simpler life more free from the pressures of consumerism is not a deprived life. I was there for just two days, and I warmed up to the idea quickly. It still may not make sense on paper, but God also told me it's the right thing to do (yes, I'm one of those). so I'm getting ready to take the plunge.

Although I don't have a solid start date yet (it could be a week, it could be a month) I put in an application on an apartment in town. The landlord wants to do some updates (it could stand them), so it's not really available until the middle of January anyway. I hope I don't need it sooner! The property I'm looking at is with Moab Property Management. They seem ok to work with... I'm actually a landlord elsewhere myself (can't afford to buy anything right now) but long term rentals in the area seem really hard to come by... And therefore kinda expensive. Any tips I may not have thought of? I've checked the Ad-vertiser. Are there other resources? A resident recommended that I check into the chamber of commerce's relocation packet. I haven't done that yet. What's in it?

I also have some logistical questions, like what is the best cable/Internet provider in town? Who could help me hook up a washer and electric dryer? Are there any other moving truck rental companies other than uhaul? They're like $450-$500 for my 200-mile move. Youch. What else should I know before I cone?

Thanks for reading all of this, and I look forward to hearing from you soon!

Moab, here I come!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 08:20 AM

3,722 posts, read 3,357,584 times
Good luck; from an ex-Moaber who moved to ID. But Moab is a beautiful place, just a hard place to live at times.

If you are in Moab, I recommend Emery Telcom for Internet. They are reliable, at least where I lived, and prices are average; I believe i paid 44 a month for 10 mps service. Frontier is big outside of Moab in the surrounding Grand County. I had them when I first moved to Moab, reliable but slow. I believe they have increased speed after I moved into Moab proper.

Only moving service in Moab was U-Haul out of the Carquest on Main street (Hwy 191). For other locations you need to head over to Grand Junction. And Grand Junction is where you go for actual shopping (or online). Alco, is closed or is closing early 2015...the company went out of business. Walker Drugs is probably as large as Alco was since their expansion. However, be warned...they over charge on most items (but they do sell ammunition)

If I was in still living in Moab, I would be more than happy to help you hook up a washer/dryer, but no longer there to help. But just check around at your new employment. Not hard items to connect so almost anyone handy with a screwdriver and a level should be able to help.

Are you looking at the apartments on Kane Creek? I know they were in the process of remodeling before I left; there were also some apartments on 100S that were being remodeled.

One thing I hope you looked at is that Moab is a very expensive place to live. Houses are very expensive, UT taxes are pretty high, license plate fees, etc. Just thought I would let you know, if you didn't know.

Problem with housing and long term rentals in Moab is that many people, who do rent out homes or condos, find they make a lot more money renting on a weekly basis to tourists. And I mean they make great money doing these types of rentals. Moab has some ordinances governing some of these short term rentals, but they do not enforce it. It is technically illegal to park trailers on the streets overnight, and yet, take a walk on Williams Way (road by the Hospital) in the spring and you will find a dozen trailers parked on the road for days at a time.

Event though I moved, I will say that I am glad I lived there for six years...I did a lot of off-roading, camping and hiking in that area so that helped.

So enjoy....

Old 12-28-2014, 09:00 AM

Thanks for your reply!

From what I could tell, the apartments on Kane Creek are mostly (or all) subsidized low-income housing. I'm no millionaire by any stretch of the imagination, but unless I misunderstand, my income would still be too much for me to qualify.

I already live in Utah (Provo/Orem/Lehi area), so I anticipate that with the exception of certain taxes, vehicle registration fees and such should be similar. Housing here isn't cheap, either. You're looking at about $800+ for a 1-2 bedroom apartment anywhere, even if it is older. I've found the prices on the few available properties in Moab to be comparable. Yes, you'd think rural would be cheaper, but I understand the housing shortage created by the tourist town aspect of things. It kinda sucks, but it makes sense.

I'll check into those internet service providers you mentioned. I'm not sure I want to pay $125+/mo for internet and digital cable with DVR (it's really that or bust), so maybe I'll forgo the cable and make do with internet alone. Maybe. Or perhaps I'll do internet and satellite TV. Who knows. We'll see when I know for sure where and when I'll be renting.

The office where I will be working is small, and there is only one guy there. Now, I'm not saying that women can't install a washer and dryer, but these ladies don't really seem the type. Maybe they are. Who knows. I'll probably ask about handymen at the Ace if I can't find someone to do it for free... but with as friendly as people are there, I'm sure I could find someone fairly easily.

This move will be a major life change, but I'm excited. I've been out of work for four months now and am elated to have this opportunity. It's a great job. I have family and friends who promise they'll come visit (or at least use my place for free vacation housing... haha). It will be good for me to get away and get a fresh start in a different atmosphere. I need it.

Thanks again for your reply!

Old 12-28-2014, 09:21 AM

True, taxes and fees will be about the same. Moab does have a high sales tax, I believe it is about 7.85 percent due to the additional fees for tourism (or something like that).

As for TV, I did Direct for TV and Emery for internet. Yea it was a bit expensive. You can always go the internet for most TV viewing. many do it. Someone told me there is no repeater for Moab so normal over the air digital TV is not an option in Moab. I can't say that is for sure, since I never tried it, but many told me so.

If you have an electric dryer, the only problem that might arise is the plug. There are a couple different plugs for 240V dryers; however, the pigtail with the plug is easy to replace (in fact, new electric dryers do not come with a pigtail, you need to purchase that separately). Washer is just a few hoses and a standard 120 power plug. I found the most time consuming is leveling the machines.

Outside of Walker and ACE there was a bulletin board that had a few handymen listed, also the Adviser used to list some at times.

One of the biggest complaints from people I met in Moab was the fact there was no affordable housing; other than a mobile home park across from the hospital. I'm going to guess, but I believe that 70 percent of Moab residents are making minimum wage or not much over that amount. During the summer, many of the outfitters bring into town hundreds of college employees to work in the stores; work the river as guides, etc. Some supply housing, some don't. Most are paid min. wage.

And you will most likely have a ton of visitors your first few years there. I know I did. I moved from MI, and my first few years there were primarily working and taking friends on scenic trips from Arches and Canyonlands to the middle of Capital Reef camping. So, expect company....

Old 12-28-2014, 11:33 AM

19,857 posts, read 61,419,934 times
If you have internet, you can buy a Roku box and live-stream to the TV. Lots of foreign stations, Crackle (free movies), Hulu, etc. The basic box I bought was $50.

Old 12-28-2014, 12:37 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,493,078 times
Congratulations! Sounds like your 2015 is starting off right.

Bill

Old 12-28-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
If you have internet, you can buy a Roku box and live-stream to the TV. Lots of foreign stations, Crackle (free movies), Hulu, etc. The basic box I bought was $50.
Roku is a good option, did that for Netflix till I purchased an Internet capable TV.

Old 12-28-2014, 03:29 PM

Ok, So, you might think I'm a bit silly, but I love my BBC America (gotta keep up on Dr. Who and Top Gear!!)...

I'm looking at the Roku site now, and while the streaming stick looks pretty cool (and fairly portable), it doesn't seem to include BBC. The shows I'm interested in (particularly the Doctor) ARE available on Amazon prime (which I have), but for a crazy additional fee. I would think that by paying for a roku, and even a roku plus subscription (perhaps), I would be able to get just about any show I want for no additional cost. Not so?

If I can't get BBC America or Dr. Who via Roku, I'll probably just do the amazon instant video thing through my blu-ray. I'd still have to pay for the show (which is dumb), but there's no reason for me to get a Roku too if it won't do what I want.... is there? Maybe I need satellite TV for the channels I want?

I'm accustomed to comcast, but that isn't available in Moab. Never had satellite before. But there's a lot of things about Moab that are new to me.

Old 12-28-2014, 04:15 PM

19,857 posts, read 61,419,934 times
I don't get BBC on my basic Roku. I bought it for MHz channel with the Scandabavian, French, German, and Italian mysteries with subtitles: The Spiral, Montalbano, Don Matteo, etc.

Old 12-28-2014, 06:32 PM

2,200 posts, read 1,244,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAChristine View Post
Ok, So, you might think I'm a bit silly, but I love my BBC America (gotta keep up on Dr. Who and Top Gear!!)...

I'm looking at the Roku site now, and while the streaming stick looks pretty cool (and fairly portable), it doesn't seem to include BBC. The shows I'm interested in (particularly the Doctor) ARE available on Amazon prime (which I have), but for a crazy additional fee. I would think that by paying for a roku, and even a roku plus subscription (perhaps), I would be able to get just about any show I want for no additional cost. Not so?

If I can't get BBC America or Dr. Who via Roku, I'll probably just do the amazon instant video thing through my blu-ray. I'd still have to pay for the show (which is dumb), but there's no reason for me to get a Roku too if it won't do what I want.... is there? Maybe I need satellite TV for the channels I want?

I'm accustomed to comcast, but that isn't available in Moab. Never had satellite before. But there's a lot of things about Moab that are new to me.
another option, a bit cheaper, is get VPN/proxy server access and watch BBC directly from their iplayer on the BBC website.

i also must keep up with dr who and for awhile BBCA was the way i watched it but VPN access is much cheaper than cable. you can catch dr. who about 5 hours earlier than it airs here and no commercials.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah