Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 02:18 PM

58 posts, read 103,378 times

Advertisements

Is anyone else amazed that the approving authorities and residents ever allowed this colossal eyesore and pollution-spewing power plant to be construction in this location? Seriously, the ever-constant white plume is now the most visual aspect of this area, not the beautiful surrounding mountains, not the finally Geneva-free Utah Lake, not the cool future development that is planned on the former Geneva site (to include mixed use residential and beaches). You don't notice any of the positives of the area; you just notice a massive white plume billowing from this industrial complex.

I feel like the entire long term vision for making the lake a desirable recreation spot has been undermined by the construction of the Lake Side Power Plant, and I don't understand why nobody else seems to be concerned about it. I have attached a photo taken from the new Pioneer Highway, coming from Saratoga Springs. You would notice the mountains if it weren't for the plume. No those aren't fluffy low hanging clouds either.
Attached Thumbnails
Power Plant Eyesore in Vineyard-plume.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2015, 03:44 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,811,445 times
Interesting. I'd not noticed that power plant there just North of the waterfowl mgt. area. Had to look it up to learn more.

Lake Side Power Station - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bill

Old 01-01-2015, 04:13 PM

In addition to just making the area feel like Cleveland, the power plant is kicking out pollution (carbon dioxide and nitrogen oxides), further damaging the air quality in the valley.

Can't wait to relax on the lakeside beach and breathe in the byproducts of burning natural gas.

The fact that this happened without resistance should be a wake up call to people who care about Utah Valley and those who live there. going forward, let's understand the health, economic, and property valuation impacts of irresponsible and permissive zoning approvals such as this.

Old 01-01-2015, 05:56 PM

413 posts, read 1,588,884 times
This eyesore would be just the beginning if the Utah Statehouse has their way of seizing all BLM lands within it's borders. They would sell/lease them to their cronies in the oil/gas industries.

Old 01-01-2015, 06:54 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,248,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arizona stallion View Post
In addition to just making the area feel like Cleveland, the power plant is kicking out pollution (carbon dioxide and nitrogen oxides), further damaging the air quality in the valley.

Can't wait to relax on the lakeside beach and breathe in the byproducts of burning natural gas.

The fact that this happened without resistance should be a wake up call to people who care about Utah Valley and those who live there. going forward, let's understand the health, economic, and property valuation impacts of irresponsible and permissive zoning approvals such as this.
Any documentation in regard to the amount of CO2 and NOx?

Old 01-01-2015, 07:00 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,248,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoVT View Post
This eyesore would be just the beginning if the Utah Statehouse has their way of seizing all BLM lands within it's borders. They would sell/lease them to their cronies in the oil/gas industries.
Agree in part. The Department of Interior will give approvals for power plants to be built on Federal lands if they meet Federal requirements. Or, BLM will exercise their right to trade BLM lands to SITLA lands, thus allowing SITLA to lease the lands for school money.

Happened down in Moab, Big trade that finally took affect in Oct or Nov where SITLA picked up a lot of land from BLM giving BLM lands that they could develop for camping, biking, etc., while the lands that SITLA picked up are going to be developed for mining, gas/oil exploration, etc.

And regardless of who owns the land, the final permitting process for a power plant is Federally approved.

But I will agree with the politicians and cronies...happens on both sides of the isle, just research solar and wind power and see who those multi-millionaires donate too.

Old 01-01-2015, 10:38 PM

Here is a 2013 report from the Utah Division of Air Quality that says "The plant is a Phase II acid rain source and a major source for PM10/PM2.5, NOx, CO, VOC, HAP and GHG emissions".

http://www.airquality.utah.gov/Pollu...SD_10-1-13.pdf

Old 01-02-2015, 05:14 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,759,259 times
If it's the plant I'm thinking of, I noted that stench and huge plumes of continual smoke for at least the last 5 years. Indeed at many times it is the primary source of junk being spewed into the air and visible for quite a distance. The stench was what was so bothersome the times I've traveled through the area. I'm amazed they allow such a eye and nose sore

Old 01-02-2015, 09:41 PM

I grew up in Utah and love the natural beauty of the state even more now that I've been away for over a decade. It is really frustrating to see that those in charge aren't being good stewards of the natural resources the area is blessed to offer. The mountain views really are stunning; there aren't many places in the world with cooler mountains than Timpanogos. Utah Lake once was a useful recreation area. With massive carp removal efforts, the Utah Lake Commission planning, and redevelopment of the area raped by Geneva, I really was beginning to believe things were headed in the right direction. This plant feels like a huge step backward. How can an economic development person or elected official hope to lure executives from top companies to Utah Valley when the first thing they see as they enter Orem is a gigantic plume of smoke, not the mountains or lake? I am not at all a rabid environmentalist, but this is simply **** poor planning.

Old 01-02-2015, 11:10 PM

54 posts, read 89,972 times
Yeah, as someone who takes the I-15 route between the Salt Lake Valley and Provo very often, it indeed is a constant eyesore and I am in constant awe of the stupidity and poor planning that went into this.

As the Wasatch Front grows at rapid rates, I honestly hope "the environmentalists" (If large numbers even exist anywhere besides SLC) take charge and somehow stop ridiculous projects such as this. The expansion of industry between valleys and by the lakes is utterly disgusting. The sad thing is that almost everyone I talk to on a day-to-day basis doesn't seem to care in the slightest.

Why would the power plant be built near the lake in the first place? Easy access to cooling waters from Utah Lake? I'm glad someone mentioned what this actually was since I was wondering.

Things that need to absolutely stop: Over-industrialization of lands near Utah Lake, Lehi-Draper point of the mountain digging, N. Salt Lake industrial expansion
All of these need to be moved elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah