Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2006, 12:48 PM

144 posts, read 330,516 times

Advertisements

Never tried one of these things before, so....
I am contemplating moving from Guadalajara Mexico to the Ogden area in the next year. I have looked at the crime statistics for No. Ogden, Roy, etc. and find them INCREDIBLE when stacked up against Mexico! One question I have, however, is "How accurate are they?" Here in Mexico 60 to 95 percent of the crime is NOT reported (because of hate/distrust of the police.)
I am also curious about the income tax situation in Utah--especially as it relates to Fed Civil Service, Military retirement pay and Social Security?
Last, but, not least---can anybody share some actual costs of heating, cooling, groceries, etc., etc..
Thanking you in advance, I remain.....

Yours truly,

Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2006, 02:05 PM

56 posts, read 254,162 times
Mike-

Not sure about tax implications but on crime, I do have some information. I think most crime is reported here (just a feel).

Crime is typically broken down by the FBI in violent crimes (rape, murder, etc.) and non-violent crimes (burglary).

In 2005 (according to a prelimenary report), Ogden, North Ogden, South Ogden and Roy had, per 100,000 people, about:

5 Murders
65 Rapes
5,000 Robberies

Salt Lake City police department (not including other areas like Sandy, West Valley, etc.) reported the following per 100,000 people:

About...

9 Murders
73 Rapes
15,000 robberies

So, person for person the city of Salt Lake has a lot more "crime" per capita.

The national average in 2005 for murders was 5.5 per 100,000. So the Ogden area is pretty much average on the murder front. The average for robberies were 6,500 per 100,000. Again, it is a little less than the national average.

I guess the final caveat is that this data is from the FBI and Utah State government. They say that it is misleading to compare areas. Also, the Utah data is from summary data, which can be less reliable than incident based reporting, which is computerized.

So, I guess, from a stats viewpoint Ogden doesn't look that bad. It's stats are definitely better than where I live (Salt Lake) and a little better than the national average.

Of course, that doesn't mean that something won't happen there, but if you are playing the odds, the odds are in your favor.

-askslc

Old 12-09-2006, 10:17 AM

132 posts, read 687,573 times
Default askslc

When I looked up the info on those cities, I felt pretty good after I found out the POPULATION was so large. So, the numbers didn't seem as high, when I noticed how many people were actually there.

People say it's one of the safer places to live. So IF this job pans out and if we come out and feel good about the area overall, then that is a plus to know, especially when looking at the cities on the border or just outside of the bigger metro area.

Old 12-14-2006, 01:08 PM

144 posts, read 330,516 times
Well, by golly! This thing actually works! Thanks for the info. As I indicated, the crime figures looked good, but, sometimes the Chamber of Commerce/Tourist Bureau might be inclined to sweep things under the rug. Now, does anybody out there care to address the question(s) of income taxes and local costs? Thanks again.

Old 12-14-2006, 04:09 PM

1,125 posts, read 3,524,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicomike View Post
I am also curious about the income tax situation in Utah--especially as it relates to Fed Civil Service, Military retirement pay and Social Security?
Mike—

Your question is not specific, but I will give it a shot. Utah has personal income and property taxes. The rates are available at the following sites.

http://propertytax.utah.gov/

http://incometax.utah.gov/

Your property taxes may also include such things as special district fees for water, fire protection, etc. Needless to say, Uncle Sam in Washington will also have his hand in your pocket.

I note you are in Guadalajara. Anywhere near Ajijic? I have been looking at property there. I also own property and a home in Pajacuaran.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah