Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 01:04 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,249,635 times

Advertisements

That last photo is over Deadhorse Point State Park, looking down on Potash Road, with Canyonlands Island in the Sky District in the right rear side background.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 04:09 PM

One reason why the locals stay away from Arches from Memorial day to Labor day....

And per the article, at one time the entrance traffic was actually backed up down Hwy 191 to Potash Road.

(If only those with 4x4s knew there were three other ways into the park.

Weekend visitor numbers shatter records - Moab Sun News: News

Old 05-28-2015, 09:34 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,856,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
And per the article, at one time the entrance traffic was actually backed up down Hwy 191 to Potash Road.
That is crazy, wonder how long they had to wait ??

We usually take off from the old airport on the south side of Moab.

Old 05-29-2015, 06:53 AM

Yea, the airport near Ken's Lake?

Old 05-29-2015, 08:27 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,186,733 times
Quote:
One reason why the locals stay away from Arches from Memorial day to Labor day....

(If only those with 4x4s knew there were three other ways into the park.

Weekend visitor numbers shatter records - Moab Sun News: News
I am not surprised by this picture. But, we went there last year in either late June or early July (can't quite recall) and we were in the park both days by 7 am and it really wasn't that bad. Now, by the time we left what we were doing (around 11 am), the traffic and parking were getting terrible.

But, going early avoids the crowds and is much better on you physically because you miss the main heat of the day. It's really not that hard to be out there early.......

Old 05-29-2015, 10:41 AM

Actually, July and August can be somewhat slow compared to June, then September to October. A lot of people don't like those 100+ days, and walking on red rock, with no shade makes it feel hotter.

For those who can visit, October is no doubt the nicest month to visit Moab and the general area. Low crowds, temps in the 80s and chances of rain are low.

First time I visited Moab it was in Oct and fantastic. Second time was in July, and after doing Fiery Furnace (which is actually cooler inside due to the shade as compared to surrounding areas of Arches), and the temps were 113F. Next day did Delicate arch hike at 106F. So much fun!

But after moving there...visited the park only from October through February and then probably used the main entrance only once. Entered via Willow Flats...high clearance required in some spots, or Via Klondike Bluffs...very high clearance 4x4 recommended and required in many spots. (On Willow, 4x4 is not necessarily needed, just great clearance. The winter before moving, winched a Volkswagen Touareg that got high centered.) Also on Willow, there are some dino tracks on BLM lands that are very seldom visited. However, from Hwy 191 to the tracks it is not a bad trail, it only gets nasty from just past the dino tracks, where Arches actually starts. The park service does very little to maintain the road into the park, to discourage people from entering via Willow Flats.

You can also come down from Thompson UT (just east of Hwy 191 on I70 via Salt Valley Road. No high clearance required, but last time I traveled it, it had a stretch of about five miles of washboard surface. Again, park service does not maintain it very well, to keep traffic low.

Old 06-02-2015, 11:05 AM

849 posts, read 2,922,784 times
I jumped in here late, so I wanted to post just in case someone else is searching for a similar trip and some advice in the future.
Based on the OP's original post, I would have suggested Bryce Canyon and Arches NP. Granted, the driving distances IMO would have been a little too large for a trip of the duration he stated, but here is why I would settle on those two parks over some of the other ones:
Bryce Canyon is truly awesome, and there are two hikes, Peekaboo trail and Navajo that are fantastic. You can head off to Red Canyon down the road, where there are some really nice hikes there as well. From there, you can spend the night in Panguitch or in Bryce at the costly (but beautiful) Best Western. The next day, I'd head out early and get to Arches. Arches NP is truly awesome to drive through in it's own right-majestic walls and spires rising up as you wind through the park. A great hike up to Delicate Arch is a must-do, and if you want to take night pictures, this is the place to do it...although Bryce offers that as well.
Zion, although beautiful and awe-inspiring, would seem way to rushed to take in all the sights and grab some hikes. The Subway and Angels Landing are the better ones there, but they can easily consume all your energy and a full day.
Canyonlands is also another drive-through, head to the Island in the Sky and take some pics and be on your way. I like it out there, but it isn't my first choice. The hikes are unremarkable and not as nice is in Bryce/Red Canyon. I'd rather head to the Horseshoe Canyon Unit and check out the petroglyphs. Deadhorse is also pretty cool.
Capitol Reef is a place you'd need a lot more time to explore, but some things can be seen right from the road. There are some cool petroglyphs along the highway and some other historical markers, but the view from the road isn't anything like Zion or Arches.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:44 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Personally, my advice to out-of-staters or foreigners visiting Utah would be that if you're going to visit either Bryce Canyon or Zion, visit both of them. They are only an hour and a half apart distance-wise but are worlds apart in terms of what you'll see when you get there.

Old 06-02-2015, 10:13 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,856,642 times
Quote:
Yea, the airport near Ken's Lake?
Yep, and we usually camp out there.

Old 06-03-2015, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Personally, my advice to out-of-staters or foreigners visiting Utah would be that if you're going to visit either Bryce Canyon or Zion, visit both of them. They are only an hour and a half apart distance-wise but are worlds apart in terms of what you'll see when you get there.
I agree. And if in the Moab area, do Arches arches and Canyonlands.

As for hiking....the entire area Moab is a hiking person's dream. Negro Bill, Mill Creek, Amasa back, Moab Rim, just to name a few.

And Canyonlands has a lot more below the main road than on the main road. Take some of the hiking trails that take you down from the main road to the White Rim Trail; see Moses and Zeus. A lot more to Canyonlands than the drive around the paved road on top.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah