Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 08:06 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,248,699 times

Advertisements

Regarding the drive from Price to Green River...I would actually make that from Price to Hwy 191. But, if you are traveling down from SLC or further north, don't be afraid to do the drive down I-15 to Hwy 50 and take that to Salina and jump on I-70. Takes longer, but it also takes you right through the San Rafael Swell; not boring. (Just make sure you fill up in Salina, it is about 106 miles to Green River and nothing in between but scenery.)

Now for Canyonlands...first, it is technically a park that is separated into three districts. Island in the Sky is northwest of Moab, and has some great views overlooking the Canyons, some great hiking trails such as UpHeaval Canyon Alcove Springs (one takes you down into the lower areas of the park). And if you have a 4x4, then do the white rim trail, a 4x4 trail that goes from Shafer trail (a switchback narrow road down from the top of the park) around the district to Mineral springs (another switchback that will take you back up to the just outside of the park). And some great camping areas along the rim trail; but you must camp in a camp ground and reservations, most of the years are required.

Where else can you get a sunrise view of a washer woman and a monster, through a low arch?

And if you jump on the White Rim trail, and do some serious calculating, then looking, you can get a reverse view of the washer woman and monster...

The Green River, as viewed from the White Rim Trail....

Or, on the others side of the park on the White Rim trail, you can get a Colorado River view
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 08:15 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,248,699 times
Go further southwest of Moab, you come to the Needles district of Canyonlands NP. More desolate, less visitors, but just as spectacular.
For a hike, the only way to see Angel Arch is by foot, it's a few day hike, but plenty of places to camp. Or if you have a 4x4, head onto Horse Canyon Trail (need a park permit) and see sights such as Paul Bunyans Potty (I just took the photo, I did not name it..) Just BE CAREFUL, never saw so many rattlers in one spot in my life. And take more water than you could ever use. I went there in July so yea, it was well over 100 in the shade.

Or, just sit outside the park at the outpost and watch the hummingbirds play (or fight) at the feeder....

Go west over the Colorado and Green Rivers, or if further south, just over the Colorado after the confluence where the two become one, and you enter the Maze. Desolate, and more places to hike to than you can count ; but did I say desolate?

As for Capital Reef, I will say it is the unspoken Gem of UT, BUT you cannot fully appreciate
it until you have driven through Cathedral Valley.
//www.city-data.com/forum/utah/...yonland-2.html

Old 03-31-2015, 09:56 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,819,647 times
Oh wow, they are all pretty excellent. Thanks for posting those pics f5fstop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Bryce: Magical
I think that's what speaks to me. To stumble around a corner on a hiking trail, then seeing the vista ahead of me and thinking "I must be dreaming". I could see Bryce Canyon having that effect.

Old 04-01-2015, 09:32 AM

28,096 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
I think that's what speaks to me. To stumble around a corner on a hiking trail, then seeing the vista ahead of me and thinking "I must be dreaming". I could see Bryce Canyon having that effect.
Bryce has always been my personal favorite, for exactly the reason you gave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
View detailed profiles of: