Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 08:19 PM

29 posts, read 129,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogandtoad View Post
I think most of this post was great, but the pollution info. is not correct
frog and toad, you got me there. I must say I did not do my homework on the differences in the pollution . Thanks for learning me on that. I guess with all the dry dust, gravel mines and coal fired power plants in and around the valley, the particulates are much higher than in NC. I have decided to forgo this problem and am currently looking for a place up near Park City to live. I agree with you, the few times the inversions are bad are worth the majority of times when the weather is awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 09:16 PM

795 posts, read 2,410,109 times
!) Yes, if your employees dont reach out to LDS people they will find themselves excluded. There is a somewhat liberal group in SLC but they tend to be pretty much college kids. As someone said SLC is very bad for young professionals - its a family city

2) I moved from sacramento to SLC. I was cultrual shockd. I also lived in SF, Oakland. I was denied a PO box at first because I was not from the city. I threatened to call the inspector general and they finally complied. i was also robbed at gun point and the police failed to report the crime. In fact, the cops didnt even seem to care. I had to write to the mayors office to report them. i was also told by ppl working at smiths ( a grocery chain) that it was gross to buy tobacco.

3) NO. Religion is everything in SLC. It was founded by LDS and will remain that way.

4) No night life in SLC. The gateway mall stripped dowtown of any foot traffic. Also, the blue liquor laws and overly religious demographic make no demand for SLC to have a night life. It is a family city and at best has a night life equal to a 100k pop suburban community.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:50 PM

515 posts, read 2,323,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-town 720 View Post
!) Yes, if your employees dont reach out to LDS people they will find themselves excluded. There is a somewhat liberal group in SLC but they tend to be pretty much college kids. As someone said SLC is very bad for young professionals - its a family city
You should at least get your facts straight if you are going to make these arguments. There is a large population of liberal minded adults, and a lot of singles and childless adults (of all ages) in SLC proper. There is also a decent sized active gay community. The suburbs are more family oriented.

You keep expressing your opinion as if it were fact. These are your perceptions and nothing more.

Oh, and if you were addressing the OP, he posed this question a year ago.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:18 AM

24,463 posts, read 25,999,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnabon View Post
You should at least get your facts straight if you are going to make these arguments. There is a large population of liberal minded adults, and a lot of singles and childless adults (of all ages) in SLC proper. There is also a decent sized active gay community. The suburbs are more family oriented.

You keep expressing your opinion as if it were fact. These are your perceptions and nothing more.

Oh, and if you were addressing the OP, he posed this question a year ago.
And the OP hasn't posted in a year.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:43 AM

10 posts, read 49,939 times
Default Mormons in Utah

Born and raised here and I have to tell you, with the questions you asked coming in here would probably be a mistake. Business wise it would be great but I think you would have trouble adjusting and never give it a good open minded chance. I have traveled all over the country and you need to go set up shop in Boise, Idaho. All the things you are looking for but no religious overtones AND much more liberal too.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:02 PM

29 posts, read 129,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
And the OP hasn't posted in a year.

I know....I made the mistake of forgetting it was 2009 when I replied. Then I realized the OP's date was 2008 .

Old 01-31-2009, 10:56 PM

139 posts, read 252,675 times
Isn't Salt Lake County a minority county for LDS now? I know its suppose to happen sometime in the next few years. If you can't make friends that are not LDS your not trying very hard.

Old 02-02-2009, 07:04 PM

18 posts, read 56,586 times
I am also moving from Charlotte to Utah somewhere close to SLC, I am not mormon never will be but my husband is. Mormons are ok people. They are very nice. It seems odd at first but I have never felt pressured or out of place when I visit Utah. I think you will do fine business wise. The is alot of non-mormon people there. I am sure there is some type of night life because of the colleges in the area I am assuming college kids like to party.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:14 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,790,136 times
I worked under a Mormon manager at a large Fort 500 software company. One of the best managers I ever had. Very even handed and "fatherly" for lack of a better description.

All the Mormons I've ever met traveling the rest of the country seemed to have similar values.

Can't say about SLC though as never been there.

What's the name of your company. If you do move over there, I'd toss my resume in the pile.

Old 03-05-2009, 06:42 PM

20 posts, read 83,979 times
Aw yea salt lakes the bomb. F the depression its got plenty of jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah