Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2006, 07:04 AM

8 posts, read 23,574 times

Advertisements

I'm a military wife and husband is heading BACK to Iraq for another long year. I don't work nor do we have kids to restrict places in which to lay my hat for this adventure. Sadly the time spent away from my spouse these past 4 years - have only seen him maybe 4 months out of those long years, due to the war has taken a huge toll on my 20 year marriage. Not to belabor personal trivialities, he told me this past weekend he wants out of the marriage and has proceeded in the separation process. Trust me, it makes no sense, but none the less it provides an opportunity for me to go anywhere in part two of my life. Career wise, I haven't worked in many - many years and will need to start from square one and re-educate myself and find my place. As far as my interest I like cool weather, coastal areas, mountain ranges. Also, enjoy snow sports; snowboard - snow-kiting and a broad range of outdoor activities. Plus my dog needs a lot of outside time in which to burn her energy. Note she is a pit-bull breed, so I'm aware of certain areas and the breed specific legislature that exist within it's confines.

Thoughts so far: UT: Salt Lake City area due to closeness to winter play. ID: Boise. CO: Ft Collins, Durango Bolder, outside of Denver limits. Lastly I'm also looking at CA: San-Luis-Obispo area or northern coastal regions. If I could swing it I'd make my way back to England but with the exchange rate as is and their economy flatter than a bad hair day it's not feasible. I've thought about NZ and even NW Canada to relocate.

Cost of living is an issue, and for the next 3 years my support will consist of a rent cap of 1k/month. I've traveled all over the world and find that I don't desire the limited culture extremities of many smaller towns but yet I'm not yet driven to those areas that have more than enough affluent culture wealth in its faces and places for artificial mentalities.

Lots of personal information in this thread, I hope it affords a clear idea where I'm at and what I'm seeking. I would welcome all suggestions to areas within your state and any others that come to mind. Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2006, 07:27 AM

75 posts, read 410,111 times
Cool Consider New Mexico

You might want to consider Taos or Santa Fe New Mexico if you can afford them. Closer to winter sports than Boise and cheaper to live than Boulder.
Weather here is nicer (well, I think so) than most of the cities you mentioned with summers not as hot as Salt Lake or Ft. Collins and ski a few miles outside of town.

Old 11-14-2006, 08:41 AM

273 posts, read 1,247,202 times
I think you would find it hard as a single in Utah, especially if you aren't LDS. I would suggest Ft. Collins or Colorado Springs. They both have temperate weather and vital economies without excessive housing cost.

Old 11-14-2006, 10:19 PM

5 posts, read 29,151 times
My vote is for Colorado! Although I do not live there, I have been there several time and would move there in a heart beat if my husband had a job there. I visited Ft. Collins just a month or so ago and have tons of pictures if you would like to see them let me know and I can send them to you. It is beautiful up there! And still affordable as far as housing goes. There were many dog parks, trails and tons of parks. There is a lot of outdoor activites there as well and skiing is only 1 hour away. The only thing is, I think it's a very family freindly place to live with tons and tons of young families. But I am sure there are severel young professionals there as well. There are 2 colleges near there so there has to be. If it were me I would maybe move to the Denver area. I am from Ca- lived in Utah, and Idaho. They all have their pluses and minuses but my vote is for Colorado. It's hip, outdoorsy, affordable, pet friendly, the weather isn't too bad, and I know in Denver there is a lot of diversity and lots to do, and I'm sure the single life there is pretty good with others who seem to have your same interests. I hope this helps! Let me know if you want to see any pics!

Old 11-14-2006, 10:22 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,374,593 times
If you go to new mexico, I would opt for Rio Rancho, rent is not bad there and its only at most 3 hrs to taos an hour to santa fe, I have no idea if thre would be a problem about the pit-bul> Good luck in wherever you go.Oh of course utah it seems fairly cheap, and lots of snow and back pacing. take care and enjoy your new life .

Old 11-15-2006, 07:20 PM

129 posts, read 515,519 times
If you opt for San Luis Obispo area be really prepared for sticker-shock!

Wish you well in your search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah