Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2006, 07:06 PM

45 posts, read 77,601 times

Advertisements

Been lurking in this forum for a few days. I've seen lots of great info posted, so thought I might try to get some advice on my own situation.

Living with my wife in Corona, California. The kids are all grown. Although I have lived in Southern Cal for 25 years and my wife was born here, we've both grown weary of the crowds, crime and cost of living here. It's time for us to get out.

We've visited the Logan area a few times and put it at the top of our relo list (we're especially interested in Mendon). We're both devout LDS members, so we're not too worried about fitting in - we may be a bit liberal by Utah standards, but the ward members should get over the shock pretty quickly

So what's stopping us? The job market. I work with Oracle software products, especially the ERP applications. I have a reputation in the industry for being pretty good at what I do (who says you can't fool all of the people all of the time?). Nevertheless, the market for my services in northern Utah and southern Idaho looks pretty sparse to me.

One of the purposes of making this move is to simplify our lives: a daily commute through Sardine Canyon to Ogden or SLC just does not fit into my vision of simplicity. I'm okay with changing industries and taking about a 30% pay cut, but even that does not seem "doable" in the Logan area.

So, what do people in Logan do for a living, other than working for USU or Home Depot Any help or advice here would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2006, 08:18 PM

421 posts, read 1,740,656 times
I ran a quick search at Hot Jobs, and almost everything that came back was retail (Dillards, Verizon, Radio Shack, and yes, Home Depot) so not much luck there. I don't think there's a lot of tech companies there, although you might luck out and find a non-tech company that needs an Oracle person. Those can be really nice jobs, actually. But you will definitely have more options if you look south of Logan. I love Logan, though. I think it's a charming, friendly town with a nice atmosphere.

Old 11-25-2006, 08:34 PM

45 posts, read 77,601 times
Chazcrew, thanks for the effort and the quick response.

I'm monitoring Hot Jobs, CareerBuilder, Dice, etc. Most of the action seems to be around Ogden and SLC. While I may have more options south of Logan, we've settled on Logan as the place. Rather than compromise on location, we'd rather take a little longer to make the move and get exactly what we want.

Last edited by fteter; 11-25-2006 at 08:36 PM.. Reason: because I can

Old 11-25-2006, 08:36 PM

68 posts, read 224,483 times
We did the same thing you did, (lived in CA. moved to Utah), but 14 years earlier. Luckily we moved at a great time. We bought our first house for $20,000, put another $13,000 into it, and sold it two years later for $74,000. It will be quite the weather change for you, providing you are moving from SoCal like we did. Funny now, we are leaving Utah, and headed for warmer ground in AZ. The harsh winters can be tough on the body. I wish you luck though.!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
View detailed profiles of: