Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 07:40 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,937,870 times

Advertisements

I'm pretty shocked. Worse than FL? CA?

Never would have thought Utah would rank 2nd worst in the US in road rage.

I thought it was bad in FL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 08:54 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,671,011 times
I'm not shocked... I have no idea where you got this statistic and I would like to see the source - but I certainly don't doubt it.

People here are hot heads.

Someone merges in front of you? Speed up and cut them off to retaliate.
Someone is driving too fast in the passing lane? Merge over there and slow down.
Someone driving too slow in the passing lane? Drive 2 feet from their bumper.
Someone has their signal on? Speed up, don't let them in.
Someone sped up and didn't let you in while you were signaling? Honk, flip them off.
Someone honks and flips you off because you were driving dangerously? Pull over and challenge them to a fight!

That's just the reality of driving here. I won't get into my theories of why, but that's something I've dealt with driving in Utah for the last 14 years. I'm not innocent either, truthfully I used to be that jerk. I've since grown up and I'm a really safe driver now, but I was a terror on the road from about 16-21. Every time I drive elsewhere it's always so refreshing how considerate most drivers are - even the teenagers. Utah though? No. Our roads are free-for-alls.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:26 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,864,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
Never would have thought Utah would rank 2nd worst in the US in road rage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
I'm not shocked... I have no idea where you got this statistic and I would like to see the source - but I certainly don't doubt it.
Same here !
Not surprised if source of data is reliable and fair.

I am seldom in a hurry so I *kinda* (I do keep the speed limit !) follow the traffic pattern in the two right lanes.
I know it is not perfect, but 2nd worst ?
I actually have never been *cut off*, but I have been troubled by *wandering* drivers.
They slowly move over to *your* lane, and then I have to slow down ...

However, you get stuff like this and then you say *Huh what ???*

Or:
this which puts Utah way on the bottom ...

Last edited by irman; 09-22-2015 at 09:51 AM..

Old 09-22-2015, 12:28 PM

24,486 posts, read 26,028,848 times
OP has a po;; in the General US forum that makes makes you go hmmmm.

Worst road rage - Florida or Utah?

Old 09-22-2015, 01:25 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,671,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
OP has a po;; in the General US forum that makes makes you go hmmmm.

Worst road rage - Florida or Utah?
Haha, good find. So we have the second worst out of Florida and Utah according to this very detailed analysis

That being said, I still stick to my point of we do have many unnecessarily pissed off drivers here. We all just need to relax and realize that we're all going to get there, if we just take a breath.

Old 09-22-2015, 03:56 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,038,041 times
These endless internet ranking lists always seem dubious to me, but this ranking is particularly odd. Regardless, I feel safe in saying that Utah would be a very, VERY distant second to NY. I've seem more rage in NY on a daily basis than in SLC in a month. That makes the ranking even more absurd, since NJ and Mass seem about the same as NY. But maybe I'm confusing crazy and aggressive with rage.

Old 09-26-2015, 01:54 PM

175 posts, read 261,488 times
I know exactly why... Utah has really only one way to get around.. I-15. You can go up to Hy 89 but that's out of the way. Legacy has helped, but with soooo many people that Utah has now, they are all crammed in a small space. And no one has patience anymore.

Old 09-30-2015, 06:52 PM

914 posts, read 974,455 times
Not surprised, the standard of driving especially on I15 is pitiful, no using indicators, no lane discipline and an im alright mate mentality. Plus people cut across 4 lanes of traffic. On top of this people , speed up so you cant get into their lane then cut in front of you to get in the lane you have just come from rather than just be courteous. I don't find it so bad off I15 although there is still a certain amount of its all about me driving, but by and large the interstate is the problem and even I have found myself getting annoyed by peoples dangerous driving, selfishness and damn right stupidity and yet I had to retake my test to get a license! I have driven in other states here in including Florida and even California where traffic is far worse and yet they are more courteous and driver aware. I let someone out today in front of me and it took them 2 attempts of me waving them out to actually realise I wasn't going to accelerate, or cut them off but was just happy to let them out and go ahead of me!

I have driven in London and other countries and thought when I first moved here that they are a bit crazy but no worse than other places, but I think sadly in the last few months they are far worse than anything I have experienced. Its like people have a personality change when they get behind a wheel here! and compared to lots of other places Utah has very little what I call traffic, especially compared to other cities.They just see themselves and that's it.

Old 10-06-2015, 02:05 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,829,632 times
I believe it. Rush hour is like a "Mad Max" movie only with less spikes and more guns.

Even Frontrunner is crowded... I swear we added a bunch of new people this year; it's been more crowded and jammed up on the roads and train than I've ever seen here before. It all reminds me of driving in South America... glad I got some training in "free-for-all" driving all those years ago.

Old 10-09-2015, 08:06 PM

14,404 posts, read 14,325,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post

People here are hot heads.

Someone merges in front of you? Speed up and cut them off to retaliate.
Someone is driving too fast in the passing lane? Merge over there and slow down.
Someone driving too slow in the passing lane? Drive 2 feet from their bumper.
Someone has their signal on? Speed up, don't let them in.
Someone sped up and didn't let you in while you were signaling? Honk, flip them off.
Someone honks and flips you off because you were driving dangerously? Pull over and challenge them to a fight!

That's just the reality of driving here. I won't get into my theories of why, but that's something I've dealt with driving in Utah for the last 14 years. I'm not innocent either, truthfully I used to be that jerk. I've since grown up and I'm a really safe driver now, but I was a terror on the road from about 16-21. Every time I drive elsewhere it's always so refreshing how considerate most drivers are - even the teenagers. Utah though? No. Our roads are free-for-alls.
Some people will read this and inevitably claim that "Utah is no worse than anywhere else" when it comes to bad drivers and road rage. I've lived here all my life and I've left the state many times for different trips. I have probably driven an automobile in 47 states and Canada. Nowhere have I observed the constant and blatant disregard for other drivers and pedestrians that I have seen in Utah.

Geo Aggie summarized it pretty good above, I'll add a couple more.

1. No state has a higher proportion of young mothers driving large numbers of young children around in big SUVs or pickup trucks acting totally oblivious to everyone and everything around them. My best advice is just get out of the way. This type of driver will run you over and try to blame you for being in her way.

2. If a freeway is under construction 90% of the drivers will ignore the signs telling them to slow down. They will drive 60-70 mph less than one car length behind you. Traffic conditions don't mean a thing to them. They got on the freeway to go fast--and by golly come hell or highwater--they are going to go fast. Its why we have multi-car pileups on the freeway.

3. Is the road full of ice or snow? It doesn't matter most people won't consider slowing down and following the rule that says that "drivers shall not drive at a speed too fast for existing conditions". Heck, if the sign says they can drive at 50 mph, than they are going to drive at 50 mph, no matter how unsafe it actually is!

4. A pedestrian is in a crosswalk? Don't slow down! Make him wait until you have gone by. Don't consider stopping and yielding to him to cross the road as the law intends.

I think what lies at the bottom of most of is suppressed anger, or passive aggressive behavior. People here don't believe its socially acceptable to stand up to the boss, to tell the ruling conservative republican orthodoxy that some of their ideas are just dumb, or to really argue with anyone "in authority". One of the venues open to them to show their anger is while they are in their car by themselves on a road. So, when they get behind the wheel, they pay everyone back in spades.

Last edited by markg91359; 10-09-2015 at 08:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah