Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 03:20 PM

51 posts, read 79,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
Way worse?
Have you ever been to Boise? I lived in downtown SLC for many years and I can honestly say downtown Boise from street level actually has a better downtown vibe compared to SLC. It's more walkable, has a more cohesive nightlife, smaller more organic blocks full of shops, bars, coffee houses, a lot of new breweries, local restaurants that specialize in locally grown organic food products, wine bars, blocks of sidewalk dining and drinking, art galleries, foilage, safer for cycling, I can go on. Downtown Boise is busy during the day and also at night. SLC's downtown dies at night except for some clubs and restaurants that are spread out over large blocks. I have several friends I left behind in SLC who come up to Boise a few times a year to experience the nightlife downtown which per them is more enjoyable than Salt Lakes. Boise also has a river running through it's downtown along with a greenbelt and parks.

SLC has a larger skyline but SLC is attached to a much larger metro area compared to Boise. A larger skyline does not equate a better downtown at street level.

SLC also has a nice downtown, it's just a completely different vibe compared to Boise and even larger cities like Portland and Denver. Temple Square of course is unique.
I have been to Boise, a lot. I have a lot of family living in Boise, and I have even lived there a bit. And I can say, its downtown is nothing special. It doesn't capture the "downtown feel" for me as much as SLC does. Yes, SLC won't beat other cities, but on a relative level, I believe it is the best. Boise is okay, but, SLC seems to have a much bigger and better nightlife scene. Especially in downtown SLC. But, maybe its just me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2015, 03:25 PM

72,835 posts, read 62,209,776 times
What is the soil like? That could be a limiting factor for skyscrapers.

Old 11-06-2015, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
What is the soil like? That could be a limiting factor for skyscrapers.
I honestly don't know, I don't think that's the problem though, I think the biggest problem is they are just not building buildings.

Old 11-06-2015, 03:51 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,862,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latino_esq View Post
On the residential side, DTSLC is not seen as an attractive area to live by residents and thus there is no demand to build high-rise residential buildings. Thriving downtown areas are typically resided by young professionals who don't have children. They prefer to live in such areas because of the proximity of work as well as the availability of restaurants, bars, sports/cultural events. In short, a nightlife worth living close to. People with children, on the other hand, don't typically want or need to be in the mix of everything and thus usually opt for suburbs where it is quieter. The problem with SLC is two-fold: 1) People marry young and have children; 2) DTSLC is boring when the sun goes down (please spare yourselves from arguing either of those two points).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrape View Post
But, maybe its just me.

Yup, it is probably just you.

Old 11-06-2015, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Yup, it is probably just you.
I wasn't even talking about the thing you first quoted. I was talking about how I think SLC has a better nightlife than Boise. Don't go making stupid reply's like this.

Old 11-06-2015, 04:27 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,862,452 times
Quote:
I wasn't even talking about the thing you first quoted. I was talking about how I think SLC has a better nightlife than Boise. Don't go making stupid reply's like this.
You're the one who first brought up the topic I expounded upon. I was just clearing up some naivety.

And back to the topic of this thread, SLC is the only city in Utah large enough to have a skyline as indicated by others who have replied.

Old 11-06-2015, 04:50 PM

Well, this could be one part to consider: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geogra...Salt_Lake_City

Quote:
Soils in the valley are largely clay and sand, which exposes the city's edifices to considerable risk of damage due to liquefaction caused by an earthquake. The Wasatch Fault runs along the eastern benches of the city, and geologists consider it due for a major earthquake. On February 21, 2008 an earthquake hit northern Utah, including Salt Lake City.[2]

Old 11-06-2015, 06:12 PM

Quote:
You're the one who first brought up the topic I expounded upon. I was just clearing up some naivety.

And back to the topic of this thread, SLC is the only city in Utah large enough to have a skyline as indicated by others who have replied.
Not really. Provo, with 116,000 people living in the city, and it being the center of a major metropolitan area with 550,000 people, deserves a much better skyline. Now look at Hartford, Connecticut, it has 125,000 people, barely more than Provo, and it has a better skyline than any city in Utah besides SLC. Maybe even better than SLC! And then there is Portland, Maine, which has only 66,000 people (Smaller than most cities along the Wasatch front), and it has a better skyline than Provo.

Hartford, Connecticut Skyline (Population: 125,000)

Portland, Maine Skyline (Population: 66,000)

Now look at Provo's skyline:

Provo, Utah Skyline (Population: 116,000)

And you say all the cities in Utah besides SLC are too small to have a skyline... Provo is the third Largest city in Utah! Not even second! West Valley City has 130,000 people (more than Hartford) and it doesn't even have a skyline! Now, of course there are 1 or 2 more buildings on the skyline now, but they are still smaller than any of the previous buildings. Do you see what I am getting at? Utah has the populace to have good skylines, it just doesn't have those good skylines.

Last edited by CaptainCrape; 11-06-2015 at 06:27 PM..

Old 11-06-2015, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Well, this could be one part to consider: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geogra...Salt_Lake_City
Well, yes that is one thing to consider, but its Wikipedia. I have never heard of this earthquake.

Old 11-06-2015, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Well, yes that is one thing to consider, but its Wikipedia. I have never heard of this earthquake.
Well, here it is: Utah Local News - Salt Lake City News, Sports, Archive - The Salt Lake Tribune
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah